Utah Vacation- Mtbr.com

Thread: Utah Vacation

mtbr member

Utah Vacation

I am heading to Utah the first week in October. Staying in Salt Lake City. I'm from NC so the weather, what to expect on the trails, routes, best trails, times, etc - I am oblivious.

So I'm here to ask for help planning my time on the trails. I'll be there about 5 days. Moab really isn't in the schedule, but Park City certainly can be. OK, go!
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I go every year to PC in late September. Assuming you don't get an early winter storm, it's an awesome time to ride. Great fall colors and a little less busy than summer. Definitely recommend getting a trail map from Jans or White Pine Touring and talk to them about what kind of riding you're looking for. I think most of the lifts are shut down by then, but there are some shuttle services available or you can just ride uphill. Some of the big name trails are Crest, mid mountain and Flying Dog. But look at the map as there is lots more. It's a great place to ride, especially for cross country style riding.

mtbr member
    We're pretty excited. We arrive Saturday morning - plan to put our bikes together and head out. There till Wednesday.

So far I'm thinking Cottonwood Canyon, Bobsled, Mid Mountain and Wasatch Trails are "must rides". Am I on to something? As of right now, we haven't a clue how to get to them - but we're working on it.

I think I may call a bike shop to purchase an area trails map - if there is such a thing?

mtbr member
    So, does that answer your question on where to go with your 2 Delta tickets, or is this another trip?

Frame Building Moderator
    By "Cottonwood Canyon", what do you mean? There are a few fun trails but I wouldn't put anything in the Cottonwoods on my "must ride" list.

Your SLC/PC hit list:
    -Shoreline/Bobsled
    -Corner Canyon
    -Flying Dog
    -Round Valley/Lost Prospector
    -Wasatch Crest (either via shuttle or Armstrong/Pinecone) - descend into the Canyons, not Mill Creek, because Mill Creek sucks.
    -Midmountain/variations at PCMR.
    -Arcylon/Bob's Basin directional laps.
    -Lift day at Deer Valley and/or Canyons

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    So, does that answer your question on where to go with your 2 Delta tickets, or is this another trip?
    Yes, I forgot I posted that here also. I hashed out the location on another local (NC) mtb forum. Thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    By "Cottonwood Canyon", what do you mean? There are a few fun trails but I wouldn't put anything in the Cottonwoods on my "must ride" list.

Your SLC/PC hit list:
    -Shoreline/Bobsled
    -Corner Canyon
    -Flying Dog
    -Round Valley/Lost Prospector
    -Wasatch Crest (either via shuttle or Armstrong/Pinecone) - descend into the Canyons, not Mill Creek, because Mill Creek sucks.
    -Midmountain/variations at PCMR.
    -Arcylon/Bob's Basin directional laps.
    -Lift day at Deer Valley and/or Canyons

-Walt
    Very nice. I've just been watching youtube clips...LOL

mtbr member
    My votes are (in order starting with my favorite):

1) Wasatch Crest trail down through the Canyons. This is usually done as a shuttle, but can be done as a loop ride if you are okay with some longer climbs. But overall, best trail in the Wasatch in my book. The 'Crest Connector' segment from the Crest down to the Mid Mtn trail is one of my favorite trails I've ever ridden. Alternate descents from the Crest are the Mill D exit that drops you back into Big Cottonwood Canyon (shorter but a bit more sporty), and the Millcreek Canyon exit. Millcreek is the longest and in my opinion most boring variation, and it's closed to bikes on odd numbered days. But it's quite pretty, and after a few miles of pavement descent down the canyon, you can connect to the Pipeline Trail to get in more miles on the dirt. Oh, and there is a van shuttle service that will take you up to the start. Not sure if they'll be running in October, but it's worth it to use them if they are.

2) Road to Wos (called Woz by most locals). Fantastic little loop in a somewhat secluded area. Less well-known, but gaining popularity quickly. Great alpine ride with great dirt and fun, playful terrain.

3) Dry Creek - Shoreline - Bobsled loop. Quick, hour-long loop in the northeast corner of Salt Lake. Easy to get to, nice climbs, and sporty descent. Great views of the north end of the Salt Lake valley, too.

4) Bob's Basin area. Short but fun descents that are easily lappable (Ant Farm, Crazy 8, Dropout, and Cutthroat DH). Cutthroat is the most technical, but it's not some UCI DH course. The rest are just fun, bermed luge rides.

5) If you want to do a bit of bike park stuff but the resorts are closed (likely by that time), Trailside Bike Park is a fun place to play around. It's east of Park City in the Round Valley area. Some wood features, jumps, and pump tracks.

Corner Canyon is okay too, and quite popular with the folks on the south end of the Salt Lake valley. The only trail I like down there is Jacob's Ladder, but it is kind of a long climb to get there for a very quick descent. Rush is the most popular trail there, but I've never been much of a fan because the bermed turns are all way too tight. But it is a good place to get some nice views of the area, and you can lap the numerous trails reasonably easily.

Anyway, if you want riding buddies to show you around, please hit me up on here via PM and we'll see what we can do. If schedules line up well, we might be able to set up shuttles for the longer rides.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post

1) Wasatch Crest trail down through the Canyons. This is usually done as a shuttle, but can be done as a loop ride if you are okay with some longer climbs. But overall, best trail in the Wasatch in my book. The 'Crest Connector' segment from the Crest down to the Mid Mtn trail is one of my favorite trails I've ever ridden. Alternate descents from the Crest are the Mill D exit that drops you back into Big Cottonwood Canyon (shorter but a bit more sporty), and the Millcreek Canyon exit. Millcreek is the longest and in my opinion most boring variation, and it's closed to bikes on odd numbered days. But it's quite pretty, and after a few miles of pavement descent down the canyon, you can connect to the Pipeline Trail to get in more miles on the dirt. Oh, and there is a van shuttle service that will take you up to the start. Not sure if they'll be running in October, but it's worth it to use them if they are.

2) Road to Wos (called Woz by most locals). Fantastic little loop in a somewhat secluded area. Less well-known, but gaining popularity quickly. Great alpine ride with great dirt and fun, playful terrain.

3) Dry Creek - Shoreline - Bobsled loop. Quick, hour-long loop in the northeast corner of Salt Lake. Easy to get to, nice climbs, and sporty descent. Great views of the north end of the Salt Lake valley, too.

4) Bob's Basin area. Short but fun descents that are easily lappable (Ant Farm, Crazy 8, Dropout, and Cutthroat DH). Cutthroat is the most technical, but it's not some UCI DH course. The rest are just fun, bermed luge rides.

5) If you want to do a bit of bike park stuff but the resorts are closed (likely by that time), Trailside Bike Park is a fun place to play around. It's east of Park City in the Round Valley area. Some wood features, jumps, and pump tracks.

Corner Canyon is okay too, and quite popular with the folks on the south end of the Salt Lake valley. The only trail I like down there is Jacob's Ladder, but it is kind of a long climb to get there for a very quick descent. Rush is the most popular trail there, but I've never been much of a fan because the bermed turns are all way too tight. But it is a good place to get some nice views of the area, and you can lap the numerous trails reasonably easily.

Anyway, if you want riding buddies to show you around, please hit me up on here via PM and we'll see what we can do. If schedules line up well, we might be able to set up shuttles for the longer rides.
    Awesome info - thanks for your time dude! I'm def going to use all these suggestions once we get a map in hand.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    the free Trailforks App is also a fantastic map. It's got search fuctionality, and can overlay your gps location on the maps so you can be sure you're on the right trail. My favorite app
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Your Best Friend
    Look at www.utahmountainbiking.com for local trail beta
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post

In general, what is the latest time in the fall season that you could come to PC and still ride these trails? And what would the weather temps be like at this point in time?

I'm considering renting a camper van and making a tour around Utah/AZ/Western CO. Trying to decide if I could make it (and if it would be worthwhile) to go as far North as PC.

Thanks
    CJB

Your Best Friend
    Any time through September is perfect, hit or miss through Halloween although typically great. November is iffy.

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Any time through September is perfect, hit or miss through Halloween although typically great. November is iffy.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm contemplating mid-Oct, so I think it might be close. My loose plan would be Moab, west CO (DGO), then Flagg. But I've got a friend in PC who LOVES the riding there. I may come back thru this forum for more specific question as it gets closer.

Thanks again,
    CJB

Your Best Friend
    Just keep an eye on the 10 day forecast. It'll at least give you an idea. If your weather window works, you'll be right at the tail end of the fall colors.

Luddite technophile
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron View Post
    In general, what is the latest time in the fall season that you could come to PC and still ride these trails? And what would the weather temps be like at this point in time?
    Actually, even early October can be iffy. Cold rain (usually not snow) is not that rare at that time of year. However, it's more likely to be beautiful weather, especially if the weather continues the way it's been this year (hot, hot, hot).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    [deleted due to site issues]
    Last edited by DRSpalding; 08-31-2016 at 06:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    [deleted post due to database errors]
    Bump.
    Ugh. Still broken.
    Bump. See above.
    Last edited by DRSpalding; 08-31-2016 at 06:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi all,

We are planning on 3-4 days layover in the Park City area Sept. 9-13 with a father-son roadtrip to Denver and back. I'm looking at easy and intermediate trails mostly, as my son has not ridden much and well, I'm getting old! At this point, I suspect we will be able to figure out the trail situation pretty easily there.

What would be really helpful would be hotel accommodation requests for the area where we don't have to drive much, esp. for food and drink. Stumbling distance back to the room from restaurants and drinking establishments as well as riding to/from trailheads and one or two lift-served days is best. Bike storage (100% safe) on property or allowable in the room is required too.

I'm happy with either Park City or Deer Valley areas as long as the food and amenities are close by.

Thanks also for the trail beta. I'll definitely be poring over all the maps I can find online before we take off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Hi all,

We are planning on 3-4 days layover in the Park City area Sept. 9-13 with a father-son roadtrip to Denver and back. I'm looking at easy and intermediate trails mostly, as my son has not ridden much and well, I'm getting old! At this point, I suspect we will be able to figure out the trail situation pretty easily there.

What would be really helpful would be hotel accommodation requests for the area where we don't have to drive much, esp. for food and drink. Stumbling distance back to the room from restaurants and drinking establishments as well as riding to/from trailheads and one or two lift-served days is best. Bike storage (100% safe) on property or allowable in the room is required too.

I'm happy with either Park City or Deer Valley areas as long as the food and amenities are close by.

Thanks also for the trail beta. I'll definitely be poring over all the maps I can find online before we take off.
    Deer Valley:
    "June 17 - September 5, 2016
    Then weekends only through September 18, 2016 (weather and conditions permitting)"
    Park City/Canyons also closes Sept 5 for daily operation. From 9/06 to 10/2 they are open Fri-Sun 10 to 6 again, if the weather cooperates.
    Easy riding would be Round Valley, Jenny's Trail and Armstrong with the Mid-mountain starting from Deer Valley at Silver Lake Lodge. Trails start at about 6500 feet.
    Accommodations will be wide open, I'd guess as it's off season but I'm not sure how "bike friendly" they are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Doh. I guess checking the resort sites for scheduling would have been a good first step. It's ok though, since I don't really care much about lift-served anyway. Good weather to tackle the Wasatch Crest solo with my son doing some hiking while shuttling me works ok too. . If I do some lift served cruising, I can make do with the weekend schedule and acclimatize myself before tackling it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Leaves are already changing up there!

mtbr member
    Back for more help!

O.K. we are flying in to SLC on Oct 8th arriving at 11am and leaving about 3pm the afternoon of the 12th.

We plan to do shoreline to bobsled the first day (8th) and then head to Moab to stay for one night and ride all day in Maob the 9th.

My need of assistance is this. Who's the best shuttle service for Moab and Park City?

We want to do Porcupine and Captain Ahab. We'll prob do the practice loop at Slick Rock to say we've done it.

We want to do the Wasatch and Mid Mountain trails. Call us silly, but we want to shuttle to get in all the DOWN we can in Utah. We don't mind doing 2 shuttles a day.

We may try out corner canyon, flying dog and road to wos through out the trip or between shuttle trips. Open to any suggestions for big fun shuttle runs! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Don't waste your time on corner canyon. And don't waste your time with Fox n Rox shuttle. They left an out of town group (friends of mine) totally hanging, after confirming not only the night before, but the morning of our ride.