Utah Trip Itinerary- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Utah Trip Itinerary

Leaving this Friday and doing a bit of a whirlwind tour of S.Utah. Working west to east trying to hit all of the high points. The schedule isn't too flexible as we have reservations and a few backpacks with permits booked (Buckskin/Paria, Under The Rim, Chesler Medows). Just looking for opinions on the rides that we are planning at the specific locations.

Zion(1 Day)-Gooseberry Mesa
    Bryce(1 Day)-Thunder Mountain
    Moab(3 or 4 Days)-Slickrock, Porcupine, Amasa Back, Sovereign

Thanks

Bored Carp
    Those are all nice rides, you will have fun. Do Slickrock last.

C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    Those are all nice rides, you will have fun. Do Slickrock last.

C
    good idea as it's a real leg-killer. it's not that the climbs are so terrible, it's more that you never get to enjoy the fruits of your labor as you're constantly on the brakes on the way down. there are very few spots you can just let it run.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

There is more riding in the St George area then in Bryce

Maybe you are going to bryce to see it and hike with the fam, but if the point of the trip is great riding I would say put at least a day of St george riding on your schedule. Its super hot this time of year, as is Gosseberry and moab, but the riding is some of the best I have seen anywhere. Check out www.utahmountainbiking.com and see the trails. So I would ride in St george for a couple of days, and then ride goose on your way to Moab.
    Kinda sounds like you are targeting tourist family spots so maybe thats not a option.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member

Not family orientated but only....

Have 3 1/2 weeks in the area but the majority of it will be spent backpacking/kayaking. Some of the permits had to be booked 6+ months in advance so there is no real flexability on the dates or amout of time that whe have in the different areas. Just thought it would be a shame when we have 5/6 days to spare (spread out over 3 weeks and many different locals) and not squeeze in a little biking. Just wanted opinions form more experienced folks on given the time constraints if our ride selection would be the best bang~4 your~buck.

I've heard that St. George and Fruita are just as good/better for riding just not as heavily used as some of the other areas

Bored Carp
    Yes, but the Red Canyon rides are at a high enough altitude that heat is less of an issue. The Casto/Cassidy loop is incredible, too. Lots of good miles to be had in Red Canyon.

Thunder Mtn in July:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7601109278642/
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Members who have read this thread: 0