Utah Trip 5/30-6/10- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Utah Trip 5/30-6/10

Some friends and I are flying into Denver and renting a eurovan in a couple of weeks. We are basically looking to hit Fruita, Moab, and St. George (not necessarily in that order) with a focus on doing riding different than what we have up here in AK. So we want to spend most of the time in southern Utah. I have the most popular trails picked out, but I am looking for any suggestions on cool less popular trails to check out along the way and places to camp (good locations to beat the heat...lakes???).

Thanks!

I'd rather be biking...
    but I am looking for any suggestions on cool less popular trails to check out along the way and places to camp (good locations to beat the heat...lakes???).
    Now I know you are looking into more desert riding then high alpine riding from what your use to in AK but depending on how the weather cooperates for the next month with snow melt. Cedar mountain has some awesome singletrack thats high in the mountains away from the heat while checking out southwest Utah. Bunker Creek, Dark hollow, Virgin Rim(also navajo lake loop) and head over to Thunder Mountain(very cool and nothing like AK) by Bryce canyon on the way back to Moab or Colorado. You should look into adding at least one of them on your way to or from St. George.

While in St. George area you should look into riding: Gooseberry or Little Creek or both , Jem, Zen, barrel Roll w/sidewinder. You could pass on Church rocks and Paradise because you will be riding red slickrock while in Moab. Maybe check out bear claw poppy. It's a little chewed up at the moment but it's a classic bike trail and if you haven't rode it before you should check it out.

While down here please go Visit Zion or at least drive through it while out in the hurricane area. You could camp at the watchmen campground in Zion and have that as your base camp if you plan on camping out here. Gooseberry Mesa has good campsites that are right off the trail.

Late May and Early June things are starting to get hot down here so try to plan morning and evening rides. Maybe do site seeing or napping in the afternoon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15
    Late May and Early June things are starting to get hot down here so try to plan morning and evening rides. Maybe do site seeing or napping in the afternoon.
    Figure it would be cool and cooler to hit those trails in the morning...afternoon for resting...and evenings for whatever bar is open...

Thanks for the info and additional trails. We are trying to put together a "list" of the places to check out, when to hit the trails, and even where the trails begin. For the most part up here the trails are pretty well marked so it is easy to get in and out...but familiarity does help and since none of us are from Utah, just trying to get as much detail as reasonable...of course getting lost can be part of the interest....

I'd rather be biking...
    Go to Utahmountainbiking.com for maps and trail info. It's the best source for Utah trails without having a personal guide.

mtbr member
    We might have a chance to stay in a condo in Brian Head. Would that be a good place to hang out to access the trails around the area, or is that place out of the way?

I'd rather be biking...
    The Brian head Park doesn't open till late June and the trails off the summit should be rideable by mid June. That all depends on snow melt because they have a 100% chance off snow fall today at Brian head. It's just over an hour form St. George

Plus if you were looking to focus more on Southern Utah Desert riding I would stay in St. George.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ditto what Shelbster said. Great trail list.

In Moab see if you can get on the shuttle for the higher altitude trails (Hazard) and plan on some early morning and late afternoon rides for the low stuff cause of heat.

In Fruita, the super popular trails (13 road, or 18 rd or whatever it is) are starting to get hot. They have some great higher trails. Don't forget Grand Junction either! Ribbon is a classic.

Brian Head is pushing it for those dates. If it is open and you're gonna ride there, they have some great condos that make it super convenient to ride. But plan on hanging pretty much with your buds only - it's pretty quiet up there in Summer (good for me). The weather can actually be cool all day - which is a nice change from most of UT.

Damn, you guys have a lot of riding to do!

Shelbster - start your best sundance and get rid of that snow!

mtbr member

Yup...

Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave

Damn, you guys have a lot of riding to do!
    We are trying to get in as much riding as possible on the trails that are considered great. We have received a lot of different suggestions from people, so it is good to hear that some trails are being named over and over again, though that makes me a little nervous thinking that trails will be super crowded...(Gooseberry Mesa is one that is repeated). In any case a buddy recommended Bryce Canyon as another place to check out. He said there are not a lot of trails, but the views are amazing. I could not find a lot of trails in the area via the internet, so figured I would check to see if it is worth the stop and the type of terrain.... so any thoughts???

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    Bryce itself is national park so no riding in Bryce, but just down the road in Rec Canyon there is great riding at Thunder mountain (the most popular route) and across the road on the Cassidy, losse, casto canyon trails, IMO they are better riding than thunder, but do them all. see Utahmountainbiking.com for the beta on them

I'd rather be biking...
    You can show up at Gooseberry parking lot and have it full of vehicles and still not run into too many people on the trail. There are so many different ways to ride it and trails to do it shouldn't be a problem. Especially if you go on a week day. It's pretty quite on a week day. Like others have said, I would highly advise in riding at least gooseberry or Little creek while down here. That's like goin to Disneyland and not riding the rides.

Like my Original post:
    Now I know you are looking into more desert riding then high alpine riding from what your use to in AK but depending on how the weather cooperates for the next month with snow melt. Cedar mountain has some awesome singletrack thats high in the mountains away from the heat while checking out southwest Utah. Bunker Creek, Dark hollow, Virgin Rim(also navajo lake loop) and head over to Thunder Mountain(very cool and nothing like AK) by Bryce canyon on the way back to Moab or Colorado. You should look into adding at least one of them on your way to or from St. George.
    Pics from Red Canyon like NMBAguy said ride them all.

Red Canyon outside of Bryce is as Original as it gets. The terrain is like nowhere else
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0