mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Utah "Must Ride" Trails?

Hi All,
    My lovely lady and I are heading your way in a couple of weeks, from the land of Oz, and was hoping for some advice on "must do trails"?

Our plans are pretty loose, other than landing in LA on the 9th October, and having to be in Florida on the 20th/21st?

So, if you only had a few days to ride, where and what trails would it be? I'm a fairly advanced rider and my other half is a solid intermediate/advanced (she can ride the shit out of tech & rocky stuff, but jumps and drops still evade her confidence), so looking for good rides that are more involved than can parks

Oh, I should mention that we're also 12 weeks pregnant (hence the holiday, the "last chance" for quite a while), so if there are any epic shuttle rides, they would be much preferable so that the pedalling is reduced to a minimum

Of course, the icons like the Enchilada and Porcupine rim have been on my bucket list for many years, but they're just a couple of trails in what I'm sure is an amazing landscape to ride?

Cheers,
    Gub!

P.S. There will be a semi-cross post in the Arizona thread too

mtbr member
    What is your planned route?
    Do you plan to go through Moab? Do you plan on hitting the Park City area, or do you have the flexibility to do so?
    The earlier you can hit Park City, the more likely you are to get there when the higher elevations are rideable.
    Here is a list of rides in Utah:UtahMountainBiking Home Index
    Mouse over "Trails" for a drop down list.

I'm not sure how appropriate the shuttled trails in Moab would be for a woman who is 3 months pregnant.

Any portion of "The Whole Enchilada"/"Porcupine" would be VERY bumpy. You could shuttle Mag 7 and ride out on the road, I suppose. Or, you could hit portions of Navajo Rocks ( Navajo Rocks bike trail system near Moab Utah ), Horsethief ( Horsethief Area Mountain Bike Trails ) - Most of the rides in this area would be fine, I think, and interesting for both of you. As the Klondike Bluffs area ( Klondike Bluffs Area Trails, Moab Utah ) would probably be as well.

In the Park City area, the trails ( Mountain Trails — Park City's Trail System ) - look under "interactive maps, summer - for a huge list. There's 400 miles of singletrack up there. It's mostly pretty buff and very climbable, and all above about 7000 feet.

In mid-october, as you head north and go to higher elevations, the chance of running into snow increases. It's just hard to predict. There likely won't be any lifts running and shuttles (except in moab and maybe Park City) will be cutting back on operations.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 09-26-2018 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    "copied over from the AZ forum".....

12 days to get from LA to Florida and you want to spend your time riding? Personally, I would say a day of riding in Sedona is the best that AZ has to offer because the views up there are like nowhere else I've encountered. If that doesn't fit the route your want to take, South Mountain in Phoenix is where I would go. Without going to the Utah thread, I'd say to ride Gooseberry Mesa outside Hurricane. It's relatively close to Interstate 15 so you won't waste too much time getting there as you're heading towards Florida. Park City has some great riding but nothing that stands out vs any other place on the planet. Of course there is Moab but it's somewhat out of the way. If that doesn't bother you, The Whole Enchilada is a giant shuttle ride!!
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    "copied over from the AZ forum".....

12 days to get from LA to Florida and you want to spend your time riding? Personally, I would say a day of riding in Sedona is the best that AZ has to offer because the views up there are like nowhere else I've encountered. If that doesn't fit the route your want to take, South Mountain in Phoenix is where I would go. Without going to the Utah thread, I'd say to ride Gooseberry Mesa outside Hurricane. It's relatively close to Interstate 15 so you won't waste too much time getting there as you're heading towards Florida. Park City has some great riding but nothing that stands out vs any other place on the planet. Of course there is Moab but it's somewhat out of the way. If that doesn't bother you, The Whole Enchilada is a giant shuttle ride!!
    This.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Do you have a list of sights you want to see across the country, and/or is driving all the way across the country something you want to do? Unless the answer is yes I'd spend a few extra days riding or sightseeing out west and then fly from Vegas, SLC or Denver to Florida. If you want to do the drive, Utah is a half day drive north of your cross-country route. Might still be worthwhile if it's on your bucket list and there is tons to see and do. Higher elevations could be open or shut down by snow by then so coming up with a variety of options and play it by ear as you go is not a bad plan.

Possible route could be LA - Vegas - St George - Zion Natl Park - Bryce Canyon NP - Thunder Mtn ride - N Rim Grand Canyon - Monument Valley - Moab - Denver with some riding in CO as conditions allow.

Or stay south. LA - Joshua Tree - Phoenix - Sedona - Grand Canyon or Tucson - New Mexico

It would help to have a better idea of what route you're interested in to give more specific ride recommendations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    The Whole Enchilada is a giant shuttle ride!!
    Especially for a woman about to enter the second trimester of pregnancy!

Almost any of the harder rides in Moab could result in a hard fall, overheating, dehydration and so forth that I'd think could be dangerous for a woman 12 weeks along.

Gooseberry, and some (but not all) areas around Hurricane fall into this category as well. I am not familiar with Sedona or the Phoenix area, but I'd set my sights a bit low and work up in difficulty. If you haven't ridden in the southwest U.S. before, it can be an eye opener.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 09-26-2018 at 04:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Cheers for the tips and suggestions, greatly appreciate the help for sure!

Although we both ride pretty techy stuff here in Aus (she was ranked 3rd in Masters Women in Aus for the Enduro series last year), flowing trails would be more preffered I'd say, more so that my other half (and me as well) will feel more comfortable flowing and having fun. If there's bonus offshoots of tech, then that's a win for me, but not necessary at all.

Hadn't even thought of flying from Utah/Colorado over to FL, but will have a look into that today.

It's all pretty rushed for sure, but when certain opportunities arise, you gotta take them! Thanks for helping a couple of Aussies to find their way!

I'll post up again once we have something more of a plan sorted, and see if anyone is about

I should also clarify that as much as we love riding and the bikes go everywhere with us, the impending arrival will always take precedence so riding is only a part of the trip

Moderator Moderator
    Honestly your timing kinda sucks. Your chances of bad weather in the UT/CO/WY/MT areas are getting high, and most commercial shuttles have packed up operations.

If you can get a shuttle, here are the best rides that I'd do with a pregnant/pro level rider wife in tow (and yes, I've been in this situation a few times) that are vaguely on your route:
    -Monarch Crest
    -Winsor
    -South Boundary (significant climbing involved but nothing too hard)
    -2 Elk (walk the creek drop areas)
    -Wasatch Crest (finish into Canyons/UOP)
    -18 road (no shuttle, but the climbing is super easy and you can lap the various trails)

Non-shuttle pregnant lady friendly stuff would include the JEM stuff, anything and everything in Park City (Flying Dog would be a great choice), lots of stuff in Fruita, lots of stuff in Breck (Tiger road section of the CO trail is really scenic, non-technical, and super fun), the trails in the Dona Anas in Las Cruces, Dale Ball network, Phil's World... list goes on and on.

Honestly, I'd stay in the 4 corners the whole time and then fly to FL from Denver whenever you need to get there. Driving across the Midwest is going to suck.

IMO TWE is a bad choice for you guys. It's awesome, but it's remote and honestly quite dangerous if something goes wrong and you get stuck out there. There won't be tons of people on it by mid October. And it's rough as hell for a lot of the time. Go for some hikes in Moab and see the sights, or at most go ride the Klondike Bluffs/Klonzo area trails that aren't very techy (but still quite fun).

-Walt

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hi Walt,
    Thanks heaps for the advice, really appreciate it! Especially all of the trail advice on a pregnant pro The input on TWE is very worthwhile.

I've been looking into costings on the Drive/Fly/Drive thing today (and especially as we've had a minor hitch with the van company not allowing us to drop off in Miami as their lot is fully packed), and it won't actually end up that much more expensive to do. it does give us 3 more days of playing too!

I've been looking at LA -> Phoenix via a round trip of Utah, fly PHX to MIA, then using a van while we're there, but I'll have a look at swinging the trip from LA -> Denver, through AZ and up through Utah...

Cheers again!
    Gaby

/Edit: So, one question that's come into my mind, is to ask what MTB Hire/Rental is like is major trail centres like Sedona, Park City, Fruita, etc? It's generally pretty terrible here in Sydney, which is why we tend to take our bikes everywhere, but always a good question to ask if it will save us the hassle of carrying baggage around

mtbr member
    Places like Park City and various in CO will be winding down for the season and might not have much for rentals. St george (Hurricane), Sedona you should be fine same with Fruita (each has Over the Edge and other shops) and Moab would be easy to rent. I'm sure you could find something in Phoenix and other spots though not every shop rents. The big problem with rentals is you have to pick up and return to the same spot which would make it harder to do some out of the way rides. And you're restricted by shop hours.

If bringing bikes and flying don't forget to factor bike charges into the cost. A few airlines like Delta, United, American rape and pillage with bike fees. Southwest and Frontier charge $75 and Alaska seems to just charge their normal checked bag fee now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the info! I'm beginning to think more about rentals, as, like you say, American & United charge around $200 - $300 for "Oversize" and "Overweight" Baggage... Which would add almost $50% to some of the fares!

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    You can fly directly into Moab on United and the flights are cheap because its a subsidized airport. Probably cheaper to rent a couple bikes for two or three days than fly with them. I would recommend Double Down bike shop for a bike suited to our trails and I can meet with you and come up with good trail recommendations for the weather/ altitude/ and safety considerations you guys have. Our temps are perfect now for extended rides.

Moderator Moderator
    I think Park City shops will still have some rentals - there are a TON of shops so someone has got to still be renting. But calling shops in the areas you want to visit is a good idea.

Do you guys want to do any sightseeing/hiking on the trip, or purely riding? Because you could make a pretty sweet circuit:

-LA->Vegas. Easy drive. Ride out at Red Rocks, good for a fun day and you get to see Vegas if you like that kind of stuff. Avoid Bootleg while pregnant. Can skip Vegas and go straight to St. George, too.

-Vegas->St George. Super quick drive. Tons of great trails, many fun but non-tech options. Side trip to visit Zion if you want to blow your mind seeing beautiful cliffs and do some neat hiking.

-St. George->SLC/PC. Decent drive (6 hours) that's hard to break up (you can stop in Cedar and ride but that's only ~1 hour from St. George). PC has a metric ton of riding that you guys will like - hit me up if you need a guide or specific trail ideas.

-PC->Moab. There is a little riding in Price but I'd skip it and just do the 5 hour drive in one shot. Moab needs no introduction from me. Don't skip Arches.

-Moab->Durango. Easy drive, stop and ride Phil's world to break it up if you can get a rental in Cortez (call ahead, there's a great shop but I don't remember the name or what/if they rent bikes). If weather is getting bad you can ride 1 hour away in Farmington NM (the old Road Apple Rally course is amazing, like an endless singletrack BMX course).

-Durango->Santa Fe. Easy drive, many options to break it up. Eat some amazing food, look at some amazing art, and ride some fantastic trails. Dale Ball is your go-to for non-tech fun, and you can shuttle Winsor and get a HUGE non-tech descent all the way to the plaza for green chile and (virgin) margaritas.

-Santa Fe->Denver. This is your suckiest drive, probably 6.5 hours (I can't remember, haven't done it in years). Denver foothills have lots of riding, some great and some not so great. Centennial Cone (outside of Golden) would be a good option, as would (IMO) the Heil/Picture Rock/Hall network in Lyons. Tons of other possibilities.

Fly from Denver to FL.

You will miss Sedona which is neat but the advantage of the route I laid out is you'll have no horrible drives and you'll hit several spots (St. George, PC, Moab, Durango, Santa Fe) that are solidly in the top 10 or so mountain bike destinations in the US. Most of them also have a lot of fun stuff to do/good food to eat such that you can really enjoy your time not on the bikes.

Feel free to email me directly if you want more details.

-Walt

Moderator Moderator
    The shorter version if you want to spend more time in each spot would be:
    -LA
    -St George
    -Moab
    -Durango OR Eagle County/Summit County CO if weather allows
    -Denver
    -FL

No bad drives, all awesome spots, more time in each location.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks Sam & Walt, that's all great info! I'll hit you both up for some detailed help and potentially a bit of guiding if you're about!

We now have a skeleton, which is LA -> Phoenix looping up through Utah (alas we can't drop the van in Denver, only in Phoenix). Then fly over to Miami.

We're looking less like bringing our own bikes, as they're a hassle to carry around for a few days of riding, especially when there does seem to be hire options available. The domestic flight charges are all pretty hectic too!

So, that means lots of sightseeing at the same time, and a bit of riding in key locales - Park City, Moab (maybe, depending on heat, difficulty, etc), and a couple down in AZ that have been mentioned in that thread.

Also means we'll have to think of another trip in a few years time!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks again to everyone for the tonne of advice, tips and trail help! We're not bringing our own bikes it turns out. Just too much hassle with the cross country flight and such a (relatively) short trip.

So we're still looking to do a few standout rides, but will need to hire bikes and potentially get a guide (or a friendly local who feels like showing some out of towners some cool trail).

What would be people's recommendations for bike hire in St George/Hurricane and Park City (Moab seems sorted with Double Down from Sam's mention)? And are there any professional guiding/shuttle companies working anywhere there?

Although we don't have a solid itinerary - best thing about a van trip - we land in LA on the 9th, and will be up in Utah in the next day or two after that.

Cheers again!
    Gaby

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Northern Utah has had some weather over the last week and anything high elevation in Park City will be questionable at best depending on your exact dates. We've gotten more precip in the last 6 days than in the previous 4 months combined. The Wasatch Crest could be done for the year depending on the status of any additional storms. IMO it's probably not worth the 8 hour roundtrip drive up from the south if you can't get up to the higher elevation trails when there is so much great riding down in Southern Utah. Around STG/Hurricane you could contact Silentfoe (on this forum), he does guided MTB rides in that area. Could be worth having a guide for Gooseberry to make sure you hit the best parts, and for Little Creek just to take the navigation out of it and make it more fun and flow better. Your bike shop for STG/Hurricane is Over the Edge in Hurricane. For Moab, I don't think you really need a guide for the Klondike area, Navajo Rocks and/or Mag 7 as they're laid out pretty well to avoid getting lost (same for Whole Enchilada or however high you can start - Burro might be done for the year). For Moab shuttles, there are a bunch including Coyote Shuttle, Poison Spider, and others. Just check in with pretty much any bike shop in town. From Moab, Fruita Colorado is only about an hour and has some great trails. This would be an easy add on if you end up skipping Park City. Over the Edge in Fruita is your shop there.

Your Best Friend
    Thanks Padlz. PM me if you'd like more info for guiding. I don't like to spam the forum. As was mentioned, OTE has a good assortment of rental bikes to include a size run of the new Ibis Ripmo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Moderator Moderator
    Here in PC we still have some dry riding but higher elevations are probably done for the year - the Crest is nice and white this afternoon. Depending on weather the next few days we might be done for the season on anything worthwhile, or we might get another month of <8000' riding. Who knows.

I would skip PC (or at least keep an eye on the weather - email me as needed) and just do extra St. George and Moab. I would also hire SilentFoe to ensure an awesome time!

-Wat

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks again all! I'll keep an eye on the weather and see how it looks!

Siletfoe, I'll send you a message separately

Moderator Moderator
    PC is officially out. Everything over about 7k feet has snow down that probably will ensure muddy conditions until winter. Everything lower is getting rained on consistently this week. There might be isolated chances to ride - but it's certainly not worth driving up here. Have fun in St. G and Moab!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Yeah. If you live locally, there may be opportunities lower and in the open, such as Round Valley. Tonight, the snow level will be down to 6500 feet. That's, like, eleven feet above my house! But, we've been teased with snow before. Would be nice to have an epic ski season, though!

I think you can safely cross us off your "must do" list for this season.

Edit: Midmountain, today....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Utah &quot;Must Ride&quot; Trails?-silverlake.jpg  

Last edited by MSU Alum; 10-10-2018 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Wow, what an amazing time in Utah! After landing in LA and then spending our first night by the ocean, we made the long journey from Santa Barbara through to Hurricane.

Waking up with Mesas being lit by the rising sun was pretty awe inspiring!

A quick couple of rides on the Wire Mesa, then JEM, gave us a great taste of the local flavour, while keeping it fun and flowy for my wife. I thoroughly enjoyed every pedal stroke too!

Spent a full day hiking and sight seeing in Zion, which dropped our jaws.

And in Moab it's just nuts. Dead Horse, Arches and Canyonlands are spectacular hiking, such crazy scenery for us Aussies.

Then today we checked out some of the Mag7 trails, plus very briefly played in Slick Rock until the wind drove us off.

Can't wait to get back and get some of the longer and more technical rides in!

We're off to AZ tomorrow, more sight seeing, hiking and, if the weather holds, another ride, but so far we're stoked

Thanks for all of the help from the forum, it's been fantastic for the shared knowledge and friendly times! If any of you ever head to Sydney, feel free to say G'day and I'll happily show you some of the great places.

Happy trails!
    Last edited by Isildur; 10-14-2018 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Spelling