Utah lift asisted downhill/freeride- Mtbr.com

Sep 2005

Utah lift asisted downhill/freeride

hey guys is there any good lift asisted downhill mountain biking in utah? does brighton have it? if not i know there moab and virgin but anywhere else that kicks ass?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Deer Valley.

mtbr member
    Brian Head in So. Utah, but we don't like stinky people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Deer Valley is the best resort for lift-assisted mtn biking I have been to. They have numerous trails that appeal to a variety of riders. Other resorts I have been to that offer lift-assisted biking are Solitude, Snow Basin, Snowbird, and Sundance. However, none come close to being as technical or having the variety at Deer Valley. I went to ride at the Park City resort once but after talking with some people there riding the trails I instead went to Deer Valley.

Aug 2004
    I rode at Sundance last year and it was fairly tame.

Is there any camping near Dear Valley?

mmm bacon

Rumors

I have heard that Sundance is going to build a DH course this year, maybe Krispy can give us a little more insight to whats going on. When Deer Valley is good is good and when it's bad you might as well stay home and drink, if there is even a hint of rain they will shut down the lifts, after the races they usually close the raced trails to do maintance, you can still shuttle the lower mountain, which in my humble opinion is better than the upper, less people and almost no bike renters and the NCS course. I'll probably still buy a pass because I'm lazy. Snowbasin has XC only as does the Canyons, Solitude has a lift for the hikers only it takes you nowhere near the peak, I have no idea about Brighton rumors abound about Snowbird setting up a freride park too, but as usual no real info. Dear god I think I hijacked this thread in to a rant, sorry I'll shut up now

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkyboy58
    if not i know there moab and virgin but anywhere else that kicks ass?
    No, neither Moab nor Virgin have lifts. Push or pedal. The lift in Moab closed a couple years ago and has since been dismantled. 'Shame. The Rim as fun...

DV is the way to go, pretty much. Sundance is fun in an XC kinda way, but decidedly non-tech. At least the way it's configured now.

Cheers.

banned
    Sep 2005

Moab 4/7-4/9

I will be meeting a friend in Moab this weekend. Bringin' the DH and AM rigs w/me. Plan on hitting the usual--Kokopeli to Rim and Amosa Back trailz. However, I can be persuaded to try something new (especially if it is techy and requires mucho adrenaline) if someone could give some direction. Not trying to invade any secrets, but I would like to find a decent shuttle option for Sunday before I head back to 'Burque. I have good info. on the Abq. local DH scene if anyone is headed this way. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I wish i had an update about the Sundance DH course,the told Ron Lindley( our DH promoter) that as soon as the mountain dried out they were going to build a new DH trail and that they wanted us to have a race on it.

Bountiful B (skyline drive) has awesome shuttles,Drying up now.Bruce is good allready,as is the lower half of the race course.too hot in summer but spring and fall it is THE PLACE to shuttle DH runs.Bruce is like 40 jumps in 1 run,takes 10 min to shuttle!!!
    Come check out the race June 1st weekend and find out what it's all about.Parish creek will be good by then, it's gotta be at least 3000 ft vert and narrow singletrack the whole way.

I shuttle Park City/Deer Valley upper upper mtn,hardly ever buy a pass anymore.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I shuttle Park City/Deer Valley upper upper mtn,hardly ever buy a pass anymore.
    What shuttle route do you use in PC? Up Guardsman and then some pedaling to access upper DV?

I didn't hit Bountiful at all last year. Roughly where does Bruce drop in off the road to the top of ridge in relation to, say, the race course start area?

mtbr member
    I usually use guardsman then push/ride to Empire chair,or the Crest drop off the traverse into PC/DV area.

Bruce is about 1/2 way up to the race course,on the left side of the road as it heads north for a bit.There's a little fire pit etc at a pulllout.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

krispy -

is there a chance that some sort of semi organized group could arrange a work day on the upper upper PC trail (empire) at the start of the summer? That trail was starting to fall apart (especially the top part). that way the trail will stay nice all summer instead of falling apart.

just a thought.

Jan 2005
    When are we gonna hit the Bountiful B? I got a couple of chums that might be interested in joining us for a day o fun

Lavaman

mmm bacon

Down with trail work

hey dr, pm me with a date for trailwork if you and kris get it finalized.

mtbr member
    Well...
    Since the Empire trail is on private property and built without permission there is no way i want to be involved publicly in building/repairing the trail.It's no fun to build something when you just know it's going to be torn down.
    Scotty here doesn't like us even telling customers where it's at.

other trails like at Bountiful that are on BLM land that is designated for OHV use is much more productive.Hense Bruce.

I wanted to go ride Bountiful this sat/sun but since its dumping buckets of slush right now i don't think it's gonna be good this weekend.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

kris -

i thought that trail was slowly becoming "accepted" by the folks in PC? That is what i heard through the grapevine at least. i havent heard of bruce, but apparently it is similar? and rideable fairly soon despite this crappy weather? saturday the high is supposed to be 67 degrees, so hopefully it will dry out sooner rather than later.

mtbr member
    Really i'm not in the know about the PC stuff, but if there are stunts built near ski runs then natrually they are a winter hazard and must be torn down before a skier clips his ski on one.The lower stunts aren't near the runs but the upper stuff is or was torn down.

Bruce is at Bountiful. only 1 stunt but 40 jumps or so,and a little gully run,and a rock waterfall at the bottom.Really fun.one dub is 30 feet.

We're not *supposed * to build there, But as long as motorcycles aren't on the trail the ranger looks the other way.

Members who have read this thread: 0