Utah conditions report- Mtbr.com

Utah conditions report

Moab: Good to go. Sov is in great shape. Portal is about as EZ as it gets, lots of cheater stones making things rollable. The canyon of doom (sand) going down Poison Spider was (for me) almost totally rideable, which was a first. UPS is now legal, and I imagine free of snow or close enough.

Thunder Mountain area: Snow in the shade, but very compacted. I found everything nice, and most of the snow even rideable, until about 1000 when the sun came out enough to make things mucky. Ride early, or wait a while.

Goose: Lovely. The road up from Grafton is the worst I've ever seen it. Whomever is driving like a snoid and making the washboard horrible, please stop.

And right now it's snowing in Cedar City.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    And right now it's snowing in Cedar City.
    I've got 6 inches of snow in my backyard here in Cedar. Might change T Mountain conditions.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    how long does it take for the trails to dry out after a dump of snow?
    And excuse my ignorance, but what is it about desert dirt(s) that put them off limits when wet?

Team Fearless Descender
    Thanks everyone for the updates, and please keep them coming over the next week(s). I know Jbone is coming your way, and I'll be hitting Fruita next weekend (4/11), and then Moab mid week, and then the Goose / JEM on the 18th. Looks like the long range forecast has gotten a little better for Fruita / Moab, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    X2 keep it coming

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone ll
    how long does it take for the trails to dry out after a dump of snow?
    And excuse my ignorance, but what is it about desert dirt(s) that put them off limits when wet?
    It's not as simple as a certain time for trails to dry out. Elevation has a lot to do with it. And the soil type. So, it's more important to know elevation and soil conditions for specific trails than just how much snow or rain has fallen.

Similar answer for your second question. Sandy trails, like a lot of Moab options, are actually better with a bit of moisture. Especially right now. Trails with a lot of sand and rock will also dry out very fast.

Trails with clay surfaces are more of a problem. Riding them wet often leaves ruts which can 'cement in' as they dry. Not to mention the cement/peanut butter type mixture you'll find attached to your bike - keeping the wheels from turning and generally adding 20-30lb.

It's also a good idea to consider whether you're driving clay roads to access trails. It's easy to get stranded on wet clay roads leading to perfectly rideable trails.

FW
    Last edited by frejwilk; 04-04-2009 at 11:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You know this is the kinda stuff I'm telling my fiance when she asks me "why are you online talking to those guys"?
    I would hate to be on a road or trail in the wrong conditions, and even wreck the trail on top of that. It is the opposite to our rain forest, hence the basic questions. Thanks for the answers and the tolerance!!!
    Well, it'll be locals as guides (PM me) and bike shop info before each ride (Nancy won't understand, but that's ok).

mtbr member
    The snow is falling hard here in Sandy. I'd imagine all the trails around here have a decent snow pack. In a couple weeks I'll start checking the Temple Quarry trail conditions.

Waiting for Godot
    snowing as i type this. about 10-15 inches fresh powder up on millcreek. broke trail in fresh powder up bowmans and it was from hip to chest high there.
    Out riding, leave a message

mtbr member
    25 inches of fresh at Alta yesterday! Easily the best day of the year! Kinda weird that for me it was my last day of the year.

It all needs to melt so I can get my bike out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frejwilk
    Trails with clay surfaces are more of a problem. Riding them wet often leaves ruts which can 'cement in' as they dry. Not to mention the cement/peanut butter type mixture you'll find attached to your bike - keeping the wheels from turning and generally adding 20-30lb.

It's also a good idea to consider whether you're driving clay roads to access trails. It's easy to get stranded on wet clay roads leading to perfectly rideable trails.

FW
    I was out at Gooseberry on Friday when the storm hit. I would guess maybe 1/4' rain/snow fell and the road out of Goosberry was a disaster! We only had a Tacoma Tacoma Prerunner (locker rear end) and barely made it out, going almost sideways for a good part of that drive. A guy in a white van was not so lucky and got stuck. I'm not sure 4WD would have made a difference. (Sorry about the ruts to those of you who go out after it dries!)

We were so cold and hungry after that we we able to finish the Bucket Burgers (two half pound patties) at the Rusty Bucket In Hurricane. Now that was a hamburger!

Little Creek was awesome on Saturday and the access road at least has rock to help avoid the mud conditions we encountered at Gooseberry. The Inner Loop is almost all slickrock so it wasn't phased, while the outer loop was getting much better by Saturday afternoon.

Both trails well worth the drive from San Diego.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Moab current conditions!

Just got back today from Moab.
    Rode Amasa on Sunday afternoon. Ride was great. Everything clear.

Monday's ride was a bit different. Shuttle driver said LPS was covered in 12" of snow the day earlier. So we rode from Porcupine trail head instead. What a nightmare. At least 10 miles of brutal wet mud, snow, loose rocks. There was 6" of snow at the overlook. It eventually dried up once you got down a lot lower but it was terrible. It will be wet and muddy for AT LEAST a few days and UPS will take a while to melt and dry up.

mtbr member
    Looks like another set of storms coming through Central and Southern UT tomorrow then Friday/Saturday. Wonder if the higher country will get snow again?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Looks like another set of storms coming through Central and Southern UT tomorrow then Friday/Saturday. Wonder if the higher country will get snow again?
    I know, I've been staring at weather reports for days now, but this is not what I want to hear. So, what can I do in Fruita and Moab, indoors for a week starting this Friday?

Stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt
    I know, I've been staring at weather reports for days now, but this is not what I want to hear. So, what can I do in Fruita and Moab, indoors for a week starting this Friday?

You could drink...Just make sure you do that in Fruita and not Moab.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by sdf1968
    You could drink...Just make sure you do that in Fruita and not Moab.

Ha! Putting things together for tomorrows departure. Beer and Tequila is already packed.

Stuff

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Here's Draper DH trail as of last night ( Tues, April 07 ).
    Some of that snow is pretty deep still. Weeks out for sure.
    -- the soon to be connector above it (Maple Hollow ?) is clear from top to bottom (by the pool/ firestation). Spring hollow trail (thru golf course) is too mucky still, needs about a week of good weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by frejwilk

FW

Ahhh, too true. I made a hugely stupid move this past Friday morning riding Guacamole, and did not turn around and drive away quickly when it started raining. The road down was not so good, 4 low 1st gear death creep/slide down the initial hill. Stupidstupidstupid to get in a position like that.

So, be careful, eh?

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Ahhh, too true. I made a hugely stupid move this past Friday morning riding Guacamole, and did not turn around and drive away quickly when it started raining. The road down was not so good, 4 low 1st gear death creep/slide down the initial hill. Stupidstupidstupid to get in a position like that.

So, be careful, eh?

That road has the potential to be real ugly, luckily the really bad part is short.

Did you ever ride the Grandview Trail?
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Heading to Moab in a few days. Planning on riding Bartlett Wash and such. That all clear?

Members who have read this thread: 0