Utah Bike Park!! Need Feedback Asap!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Utah Bike Park!! Need Feedback Asap!!

I am meeting with a resort this week to discuss the possibility of building a legit bike park in Utah. We are going to propose they build 3 trails on the Mtn as a test to see how much rider interest they get in it. If you have been to Whistler think A-Line, Crank it Up and Smoke and Mirrors.. At this point they are very interested. (mtn to remain unamed for now)

WE NEED YOUR HELP! PLEASE ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS-

1. Have you traveled outside of Utah to ride other resorts

2. On a scale of 1-10 (1 lowest) how would you rate your riding skills?

3. What types of features would you like to see on a "freeride" trail?

4. Would you say that the need is being met in Utah?

5. What would you pay for a season pass if trails were legit?

I am hoping to show this to the people in charge so please keep it positive, and to the point!

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by freebird79
    I am meeting with a resort this week to discuss the possibility of building a legit bike park in Utah. We are going to propose they build 3 trails on the Mtn as a test to see how much rider interest they get in it. If you have been to Whistler think A-Line, Crank it Up and Smoke and Mirrors.. At this point they are very interested. (mtn to remain unamed for now)

I am hoping to show this to the people in charge so please keep it positive, and to the point!
    1-Yes
    2-6 or 7
    3-Drops/stunts that allow for progression of skills for a various level riders (A, B, C lines, etc) Technical rock and log features using the natural terrain.
    4-No, not even close
    5-$150
    Last edited by catch22; 10-12-2009 at 07:03 PM.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

1. Yes
    2. 7
    3. Wide open fast downhill trails with large tables, wood drops, and rock gardens
    4. Kind of...not in one location
    5. Lift access...$150, non-lift...$50

Someone just needs to go yell at robert redford. Sundance would be the perfect place. there's wide open areas to build and it's lift access already. They'd bring in so much more profit.
    Last edited by nmpearson; 10-12-2009 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've traveled to several resorts and love what Diablo has done to their mountain.

I'd rate my skills around... 9

Would love to see HUGE flowy berms and a-line style jumps that anybody could enjoy from beginners to advanced riders. I think Utah is also in desperate need of northshore style trails with ladders, drops, skinnies, and flowy trails.

Absolutely not.

I'd pay up to $250 and maybe even up to $300 if things were well-planned and fun.

And I totally agree about sundance... there really isn't a better place!
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

mtbr member

1. My wife and I travel out of town every summer to the Pacific Northwest, primarily for biking. We go to places such as Hood River Oregon, Blackrocks Id, Whistler, Silverstar, North Shore Vancouver, Bellingham wa, and any place that we hear about that has some kind of progressive riding as Utah has a severe shortage of stunts for us special needs riders.

2. This is far too subjective of a question but I have removed the training wheels.

3. Look at Silverstar or Whistler. Big berms, big tables, step-up step down jumps, gaps doubles, skinnys, teeters, Latter drops, log rides, anything besides the miles and miles of uneventful single track that we already have (not that I don't love it, we just have it already).

4. Utah is so far behind the game it's not even funny. Other states are catching on but Utah seems a little slow. Surprising considering how they've managed to put a skate-park in every city. If you build it they WILL come! Right now a huge number of riders who want progressive features are leaving Utah to ride elsewhere.

5. A summer season pass price would depend largely upon the number of trails and quality of work put into them. Silverstar in Canada charges $38 per day to ride, Whistler over $50. People will pay good money if the quality and time are put into the place. Considering what it costs in fuel to drive to Canada and pay for a weeks worth of passes I'm sure a local resort who actually committed to the program would get ALL the summer biking business from the locals, would bring some out-of-towners in, and could probably charge more than half to two-thirds the price of a winter seasons pass easily. (Seriously . . look at Big-sky Montana . . not too many locals real close but they draw a biking crowd and their trails, though leaps and bounds ahead of ours, suck compared to what we could build here). With only 3 runs price might have to be lower but if they're A-line/Freight train quality then I'm sure $25 wouldn't be too much to ask. I know I'd pay it!

mtbr member
    1. Haven't really done any resort riding, but having seen pics and vids of trails like Live Wire and Boondocks in NorthStar at Tahoe and A-line and Freight Train in Whistler I would love for there to be something similar available closer to home on the Wasatch Front

2. I agree with BigWaveDave that this is a very subjective and tough question to answer. (Trainining wheels off indeed if that is you in the Avatar!!)
    Technical and steeps: 7
    Jumps, drops: 5 (just getting into it)
    Skinnies: 0-1 (but would love to have some available to attempt)

3. Like others have said: Fast, flowy, big bermed, jump filled runs with some latters, drops
    skinnies, and techy chutes thrown in. A,B, and C alternate lines or trails to accommodate a wide variety of skill levels.

4. Doesn't seem like it for as many lift-served resorts as there are in UT.

5. $150-200
    Last edited by KRob; 10-15-2009 at 05:37 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    double post

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Yes, at least 7 days in Whistler every year and would like to add a long weekend in Northstar to the list next year.

Tabletop Jumps, or at least case friendly jumps (step-ups, steps-downs, etc.) Drops up to 8 feet or so like the GLC and with good long transitions, berms you can just throw the bike into and pin it. None of this rock drop in turn crap like DV. If the soil can't handle the steepness it should either be properly armored or just make it less steep. Wooden stuff is great, but no need to get too crazy with high skinnies or teeters. Wide and flowy with wall rides and such are much safer and fun for everyone. STEEP roll downs are super cool (remember, armor if needed). Things should be built with falling in mind, but nothing is 100% safe. A-line has something like 53 features on it, think in those terms, not just a feature here or there.

Not even close, we all travel outside the state to ride and especially outside of the Wasatch.

$200-300 no problem

BTW - My wife would probably get a pass too cause she loves Whistler just as much as me. With the our little guy, we would just hangout at the base and swap turns on the lift if we both had a seasons.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    1. Have you traveled outside of Utah to ride other resorts? Yes

6-7

jumps, drops and berms! Fast and flow.

no way.

sure would

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    1. Been going to Whistler since 2002.
    2. 5-6 (ain't reality a *****?)
    3. Berms that hold up. Tables, wall rides. Basically all the stuff you find on the trails you mentioned, but also some harder, natural sections. The trails you mention are a good start because they're pretty basic, easy trails and hopefully would have less injuries. Harder natural lines are more risky for the user, but tend to be safer for ther resorts for liability.
    4. No. Yet every year we get a rumor that says it will be. . .
    5. $250 and up depending on quality.

Sundance is a little far away for the SL crowd, unfortunately. I think a resort like Solitude or Brighton would do better as they aren't very steep, but then again, they take a while to melt out and would close down earlier.

Whatever, anything is better than what we've got.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    1. Yes, several times per year
    2. Oh, 8ish
    3. Big berms, BIG jumps, BIG wood features
    4. Not even close
    5. Wouldn't even blink at $300 or $400 for a real bike park

Freebird79 - I'd be happy to provide any input or speak directly with people with you if needed.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    1.yes
    3.berms, jumps
    4. not at all for the amount of people.
    5. for a legit area 400 (ski passes are thousands!)

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    1. Yes, several times per year
    2. Oh, 8ish
    3. Big berms, BIG jumps, BIG wood features
    4. Not even close
    5. Wouldn't even blink at $300 or $400 for a real bike park

Freebird79 - I'd be happy to provide any input or speak directly with people with you if needed.

1. traveled a few different places and plan on going to alot next year
    2. if Err is an 8 then im a 2 but compared to others posting here then maybe a 6
    3. Jump lines, wood stunt lines, progressive trails, Jump park at the bottom
    4. Nothing that is that exciting. everything gets torn down
    5. depending on how long their season would be 300+

i would be a very happy man if it happens. any hints on what resort you are speaking too?

mtbr member
    Wow, great minds...check the end of this post: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=561773

UT is so far behind it hurts. It is amazing to me that the marketing depts. for these resorts haven't caught on yet. Then again, maybe they have, but upper management hasn't.

As for your questions:
    1. Have you traveled outside of Utah to ride other resorts? Yes

2. On a scale of 1-10 (1 lowest) how would you rate your riding skills? 4

3. What types of features would you like to see on a "freeride" trail? KRob and phatfreeheeler nailed it.

4. Would you say that the need is being met in Utah? NOT EVEN CLOSE

5. What would you pay for a season pass if trails were legit? If it is a "legit" offering the resort is dishing up, think Whistler, NorthStar, etc. then $300+

If you would like help making your pitch, I work in marketing and would be glad to help.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you will suck forever.

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    1. Have you traveled outside of Utah to ride other resorts?
    Yes, been to Northstar in the past (want to go back again). Planning trips to Sol Vista and Whistler next summer.

6 1/2 or so

Step ups, step downs, flowy berms, drops with transitions that you can flow out of, and not drops to 90 corners, table jumps, gap jumps, techy rock gardens.

No. Deer Valley is fun, but not at the level that I wish they were (and not at a level that I would purchase a season pass for).

I would easily pay $300 for a season pass to a resort with legitimate freeride trails, as long as there was mechanisms in place to maintain the quality of those trails throughout the season. Armored berms, sprinkler systems, and a trail crew come to mind here. Staying open until the weather no longer allowed would help encourage me to make that purchase, and potentially "force" me to spend additional money on said pass.
    "If I stop drinking all at once I am afraid the cumulative hangover would kill me."

mtbr member
    Yes

if 1 = n00b and 10 = pro then probably 5 to 6ish

all kinds: flowy & fast, technical, tables, gaps.... there's room for all (but not necessarily on the same trail)

Not by any resort, that is for sure. Brianhead is probably the closest there is to it in UT. There are pockets of legal and illegal that meet some of the needs, but nothing lift-accessed and nothing along the Wasatch Front/Back.

legit meaning "fun, challenging, whistler-esque" probably a couple hundred. Legit meaning 'legal' and what we have at resorts currently, I'd stick to 1 or 2 days at each one and probably spend money going to/riding elsewhere.

Convincing a resort that isn't running in the summer already I think is a very, very tough sell. Convincing a resort that runs already to build things like what is being eluded to here is still a tough sell but there is some hope.

Waiting for Godot

1. yes, whistler many times, cali, colorado, arizona.

2. 7-8 been riding most of my life, raced xc, bmx, downhill, road and velodrome/track

3. flowing swoopy trail with double jumps that have a ride-around or smaller ride-around jumps. big berms, big pump bumps(like a big pump track), jump options(big, small medium), trail erosion protection(before turns and areas that gromes will skid), non-hidden landings off of big jumps so you don't land on stopped/injured riders, snake run(berm after berm after berm, not too tight), a rock garden where the rocks don't move and multiple lines to descend, areas that riders can catch up/regroup that are off the trail, varying trail width so riders can pass safely but not feel like they are on a fireroad.

4. it is not met anywhere but whistler at this point. if a disneyland of bikeparks could be made right and maintained, you could take 80% of whistlers visitors away and add 50%(maybe more) more to those that cannot/will not travel that far. done right, you could have income that would far outdo the winter sales and have a longer season.

5. a season pass would have to reflect what you are offering. 80-150 for 4-5 long trails and a small jump park. 400-600 for a full blown mega ,mountain of many shear utter delite trails, jumps, skinnies and trail maintenance.
    Out riding, leave a message

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Yes, multiple times a year, US open on the East Coast, whistler in the Fall, N* in the summer.

6 or 7?

Flow, nuff said. Tables, berms, drops, step ups, log rides. Pretty much the exact opposite of what DV offers

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. No.

Legit being a bit subjective I would pay between 150 and 350 depending on quality of trail

banned
    Sep 2007

1. Yes
    2. 6 or a 7
    3. Not at all interested in Freeride or downhill, I like technical single track.
    4. Yes, Moab has it all.
    5. I've been paying $150 for a season pass at Mammoth Mountain, CA for years. The place is huge. I get 16 to 20 days a season out of my pass. Every year, I'm burned out after 3 consecutive days of the same stuff on the mountain. Bike parks burn me out, travel to new dirt never burns me out. Just got back from a trip to Durango, amazing! Not impressed with lift assisted riding, it's ghey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    First and most important questions: who are you and are you working with WAFTA on this?

Second, if this is legit (and I'm stoked if it is)...see answers below:

YES - Whistler BC, Keystone CO, Snowshoe WV, and more

8 (BTW 'TheProf' is definitely higher than 6)

FLOW, jumps, big berms, FLOW, a few stunts like wallrides, some skinnies, but mostly tables, step-downs, step-ups...FLOW

Not even remotely. The riding populace here is large and there are not nearly enough trails to support the existing membership - much less growth - of the sport.

$300+

Last edited by Summit; 10-13-2009 at 09:16 PM.

NOT Team Sanchez
    yes, Whistler and Northstar
    on a good day I feel like I'm number one!
    drops, jumps, berms, tech, not too many skinnies
    It wasn't being met so I took matters into my own hands, literally.
    I don't know, what would it cost me?
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    I would never use anything like this myself, but I would be very supportive of anything that increases the diversity of riding for the mountain biking community!
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    1. No. Plans are in place to do so.

2. Well, if the Prof is only giving himself 5-6ish rating... I can't possibly go higher; but, if you can get him to admitt that he's better than that, I'll raise my score as well!

3. Flow, big berms, jumps, tables, step downs, technical, step ups, skinnies and stunts - Like has been said: room for all, not necessarily all on the same trail.

4. Hello no! We're a decade behind the rest of the west. Utah is a major hub for every outdoor activity from extreme to mild... except for a legitimate freeride/DH bike scene. The need for this is huge.

5. Depending on length of season and the mood of my wife when purchasing, $150 to eventually, possibly $300 if park is dialed and meets expectations. Perhaps 10 day or weekend passes would be available for those who couldn't justify a full pass do to time constraints etc?
    Last edited by roguebuilder; 10-14-2009 at 10:59 AM.

mtbr member

Yes: Northstar, Whistler, Snowmass, Keystone, Winter Park, Beaver Creek, Crested Butte, Telluride, Mammoth, Sol Vista, Angel Fire, Big Sky, Ray's

Would 10 be Steve Peat? Then a 5. If 10 is comfortably riding everything at Northstar, then 7. If 10 is comfortably riding everything on the Angel Fire pro DH course, then 8.

Wall rides, table tops, hips, rollable doubles and triples, rock drop-offs to smooth transitions, graduated drop offs (like you can go really big, or you can start small and work your way up to going really big).

Not all in one place. There are some excellent trails that are shuttle-able, but I haven't seen one resort with a wide variety of terrain for both casual or beginning riders, and advanced or more aggressive riders.

[Edit, I'm a good reader!] Probably no more than $250, but it all depends on if I can be entertained all day every day I go to the resort.
    Visit FreerideFoundation.com to find women's downhill and freeride clothing and gear.

stevelloydphoto.com
    May 2008
    1 no I have not
    2 I would say 7
    3 berms, doubles, tables, skinnies, fast and flowie.
    4 not even close
    5 150.00-200.00

on yer left
    Apr 2008

Yes

6 but I have level 10 fun

as many flavors as possible, Utah should be leading the charge not playing catch up

not even close and it's pathetic given the population that would support it

$200 but would be really cool if it valued winter pass holders loyalty with some sort of add on option

goo
    Mar 2006
    1. Yes

2. 7

3. FLOW!!! Jumps, Ladders, drop, and skinnies.

4. No, WAFTA seems to be starting to do things and gaining more support though.

5. If they were legit, and maintained.

Oct 2009

1. Have you traveled outside of Utah to ride other resorts- Yes

2. On a scale of 1-10 (1 lowest) how would you rate your riding skills?- 6-7

3. What types of features would you like to see on a "freeride" trail? all mountain single track

4. Would you say that the need is being met in Utah? no

5. What would you pay for a season pass if trails were legit? $75-100

1) Yes
    2) 6-7
    3) All mountain single track
    4) No
    5) $75-$100

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    1. Yes, Whistler
    2. 7ish
    3. Large berms, jumps, ladders, drops, step-ups, and some flow for God sake!
    4. Almost none at all
    5. For full-on Whistler-scale trails (even a couple) $300

mtbr member
    1. Nope, not yet, but I have ridden some progressive out of state trails without lift access.
    2. 7 ish
    3. Like shortyadam said "Large berms, jumps, ladders, drops, step-ups, and some flow for God sake!". A mix of dirt and wood features would be great too. But also some smaller yet aggressive features for less-skilled riders to develop better bike handling skills. Something worth building though, not some tiny jumps that don't allow for any progression.
    4. No.
    5. $200-250.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    1. Yes
    2. I would say between 7-8 Depending on the day
    3. Proper radius corners built to last. Jumps for all ability levels. Safe stunts and Drops.
    4. Somewhat...Deer Valley is making a strong effort but they do not have the resources to take it to the next step even with the great staff they have. We are still a long way from a Keystone, Winterpark, or Whistler.
    5. I would say $200-$300 depending on who built the trails, quality of the trails, speed of access, maintenance, and future plans.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    1. Yes
    2. 7-9 Depending on the day
    3. Proper radius corners for the trail built to last. Jumps built correctly. Stunts that are safe and well designed. Whistler style bike loading system.
    4. Somewhat...Deer Valley is making a strong effort with the resources they have, but I believe we have a ways to go before we are on par with Keystone or Winterpark.
    5. $200-$300 depending on how well built the trails are, maintenance, future development plans, and access (daily and season length...Riding is still great no need to close the lifts)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    1. Yes, Northstar
    2. 7ish
    3. To quote shortyadam- "Large berms, jumps, ladders, drops, step-ups, and some flow for God sake!".
    Like teh young jedi DFLnate said- "A mix of dirt and wood features would be great too. But also some smaller yet aggressive features for less-skilled riders to develop better bike handling skills. Something worth building though, not some tiny jumps that don't allow for any progression."
    4. No, especially compared to other areas
    5. $200 range

May 2004
    1. Nope, not yet, but I have ridden some progressive out of state trails without lift access.
    2. 6 ish
    3. Like shortyadam said "Large berms, jumps, ladders, drops, step-ups, and some flow for God sake!". A mix of dirt and wood features would be great too. But also some smaller yet aggressive features for less-skilled riders to develop better bike handling skills. Something worth building though, not some tiny jumps that don't allow for any progression.
    4. No.
    5. $200-250.

DFLnate and Werx might be puffs, so I'm not sure how much their input counts.

Picture Unrelated
    1. Yes

2. 8 on average

3. So many great models out there, but #1 on my list is a A Line style trail. Many resorts are doing great things in this department and Utah has nothing.

4. Would you say that the need is being met in Utah? no, they're trying. I'd like to see WAFTA get more aggressive in the online world and that should help push their cause.

5. What would you pay for a season pass if trails were legit? $200 maybe +

*You should x-post on the other bike forums, get some more people in perhaps.*

mtbr member
    1. Have you traveled outside of Utah to ride other resorts? Definitely - probably 4-6 trips a year, including at least one to Canada.

2. On a scale of 1-10 (1 lowest) how would you rate your riding skills? Uh... 7?

3. What types of features would you like to see on a "freeride" trail? flow, skinnies, woodwork, roots, rocks, jumps, drops, bermed corners... Variety is good. I love twisty turny stuff (i.e. Ninja Cougar and Karate Monkey) but I love Crank it up and A-line, and I love the Angelfire DH course jam packed with rock gardens.

4. Would you say that the need is being met in Utah? No.

5. What would you pay for a season pass if trails were legit? 350? Efficient lifts are a part of that too, FWIW. I'm not going to pay as much for a place where the riding is limited by spending all day riding a slow lift with one bike per chair. The fact that you can ride yourself silly at Whistler is part of the appeal.

EDIT: Ditto the above for my husband - he'd definitely be interested in a pass to a good bike park in the area too. He's out of town and won't be able to respond to this in time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    1. Yes, quite a bit
    2. Who knows these days
    3. Put in a Trials Park! Or at least features in the park (i.e. lots of ladders and skinnies; can still be flowy) that lend to trials riding (Ryan Leech type stuff).
    4. No
    5. If it's a resort. Free if you buy a winter season pass.
    Summer only - $150 or so. Like Connie said, good lift access (fast)
    Kevin Winzeler Photography
    Mountain Bike Photography | Professional Photography
    http://www.kevinwinzeler.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes, NorthStar CA, WinterPark Co, Keyston CO

Features Similar
    Keystone EvenFlow, Money, EastForest,
    Winter Park Boulevard BootCamp, Free Speech, JumpTrail
    Northstar - LiveWire BoonDock, OverUnder, Northstar has good flow

Other Notes
    NorthStar LiveWire, the best thing about livewire that they water the damn thing, that is so cool so if you get sick of riding in july dust you can always take a cruz down Livewire for a break, they plan to water other mountain also in future, this would include Kaprial, phodog ect

Also need better bike loading sytem then hang on bike on lift, but keystone does gondola but on week ends it slows them down, but week day fine

Be open 7 days a week

Not even close, very sad I always have to drive 1000 miles to get some good riding, then get depressed being back in utah and get bored very fast, May have to move to silverthorn Colorado, Snowbasin could be similar to Winter park in that it is Forest Serviced owned and part private I think, Sundance has potiential, Deer Valley is good just need to add wood ramps in steep eroded parts Thieves and add more flow -- Way more flow but could have a good range of riding terrain if they did that, ParkCity has potential and would be great if legit, Canyons is one I have always wondered if they would be the first to break the utah trend, Solitude good also, Bad thing about sundance is the drive but if it ended up being good I would go every week.

5. What would you pay for a season pass if trails were legit? Enough so the resort could make a profit and sustain the trials, I have a much better experience with lift assisted riding so would ride twice a week if not more. But Once you experience flow like wistler it is in your blood and the demand will be there and I will find a way to pay, much like skiing

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Justin: You are/were the Canyons POD guy, no? If, hypothetically, it's the Canyons that's thinking this over: BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME!

Yes. I have traveled, and continue to travel, to places to ride trails build specifically for biking, which tend to be more fun/challenging/rewarding than most multi-use trails.

7?

Well, as mentioned, berms would be a good place to start. The Park City XC riding has a frustrating number of poorly laid out coners, so the "need" is there. Plus, berms have a low risk of injury so they're a safe feature for a resort looking to tip-toe into bike-specific trails. From there, optional skinnies, tabletops, stepdowns, and gaps as the resort gains comfort with mtb risk-management.

No. Not at all. I haven't seen that DV is "doing what they can." From my experience they're doing the minimum justify keeping the bullwheels turning and no more.

The Canyons and PCMR have spent lots building great parks for winter use, with well planned progressions. I imagine the liability insurance for those parks is astronomical and it'd take a certain bottom-line revenue to make a bike park viable. Which is why you're wondering:

I guess the question behind this question is How much $ does the resort need to make to make a bike park a worthwhile endeavor. And many riders/season to see that happen? Your question is a hard one to answer. If "legit" means something on level with the DV trails then I wouldnt be willing to pay much at all. If "legit" includes a two or three Whistler-caliber trails then perhaps $200/season?
    Last edited by stratodab; 10-15-2009 at 09:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Yes

jumps (gaps and tables), natural features like rock drops along with manmade stunts, big smooth berms and other flowy pumpy features, wide range of feature/stunt difficulty

No. Need another lift serve alternative to Deer Valley

$250 for a full three month (12-week) season

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    Yes
    Radness
    No
    Infinity Dollars

mtbr member
    May 2008
    . Have you traveled outside of Utah to ride other resorts
    Yes

6-7

jumps (gaps and tables), natural features like rock drops along with manmade stunts, big smooth berms. Jumps with variation in height or perhaps some 'smaller' stuff to warm up on with bigger stuff elsewhere.

Not at all. Brian Head is about the only thing that comes remotely close, but its too far of a drive for what little they do offer.

$250 - 300 for a full three summer **IF** its serviced with high speed quad(s) and the trails are well maintained.

Homer's problem child
    1. Yes
    2. 7
    3. Brotally sick things with stuff...
    4. No, Deer Valley can tounge probe my fart box!
    5. Infinity+1 $'s
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    Yes

First, I'd like to see freeride trails that cater to multiple skill levels. It doesnt matter how that's done -- use either bail lines or simply just have different trails for different abilities. Berm, shape and plan trails with flow and sustainability in mind. Nothing sucks more than coming off a banked corner to an off-camber, washed out straight away strewn with pebbles. Also, as others have mentioned, PC's trails are starting to get hammered and while they do provide a technical challenge, they could use a bit more of the "fun" factor. Otherwise, I'd love to see some fun high-banked turns, jumps, drops, natural features, step-downs and maybe even a step-up or 2. Just make sure to have a little something for everyone.

no

I'd probably be willing to pay $225...more for fast lifts. It sucks when you're spending most of your time in the line to the lift and on the lift.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    No, I started riding in May.

5-6

Lots of features utilizing what's already there... as in natural. Big skinnies, doubles, lots of drops, fast singletrack utilizing big ass berms through the trees north shore style with lots of built wood features.

definitely not. there are what? three or four sometimes decent trails within an hour drive from the city of the freeride genre.

most likely too broke to pay much, but i'd probably try and get a job there if it was close-ish to SLC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    1. Yes

2. 7

3. Ideally, a combination that merges natural slopes with flowy singletrack in the trees with occasional ladders, drops, tabletops, log rides...and maybe a few gap jumps here and there.

4. NO. As progressive (and popular) as some of our ski resorts are, I'm surprised they're so behind on this scene. Not to mention the Forest Service. In Jackson the Forest Service not only allows trail building, but they're jumping in to help build themselves.

Check out this link:

http://www.fitzgeraldsbicycles.com/i...ping-document/

5. $200-$300

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    1. yep. Whistler,keystone,bootleg,bromont,highland mtb park,winter park and so on
    2. Uh, 7.3
    3. Tabletops(worthwile ones, not awkward little "nub" jumps), wall rides, wood$rock drops to GOOD tranny, Berms, Hips, and lots of FLOW.
    4. This need is NOT being met here. There is a hole in this market.
    5. That depends on the sum of the parts,If well executed $300 is quite reasonable.
    It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    -Yes

-Berms that makes sense in terms of physics. Reinforce them with flagstone. All wood obstacles should have options on approach. No one should have to ride around an obstacle. I know a lot of guys who never get into the sport because they feel that it's all-or-nothing.

-Not so much. What exists is small and not rider-based. It feels like it's built by resort executives.

-$150

Jan 2005

Utah Bike Park

I'm down; as we know, some of the resorts, such as Park City and Snowbasin, are attempting to cater, in part, to the true mountain biking crowd, but as of now they are failing. The Canyons would seem to be the obvious choice for a true bike park.
    In answer to your questions:

1. Yes; Colorado, a lot.

2. 8. 17 years experience.

3. Whistler-style planks. Bobsled-style banked switch-backs.

4. Barely.

5. $200.

I wish you the best; good luck.

Team Sanchez
    1. Yes. I've ridden Big Bear and Northstar outside of Utah.

2. 7-8

3. More man made doubles and tables, and wooden stuff. Deer Valley falls very short in regards to their stunts.

4. The need is not being met. Brianhead and Deer Valley are the top 2, but fall short in many aspects.

5. $350.00 assuming it was in the Provo- SLC area.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Yes

Ladder drops, creative rock features, well built berms, table-tops

Absolutely not. Take a look at Whistler (the gold standard), but also Highland, Diablo, Plattekill and Mammoth. Nothing like those places exist in Utah.

Legit? $300ish. It would take a resort awhile to get to that level though...

mtbr member
    Oh . . I forgot to mention . . . a foam pit. We need a foam pit . . anyone else with me on this one?? . . seriously I can smell the money burning a hole in my pocket already . . It's unanimous . . just build it already!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    No. Lots of traveling to ride, but not at resorts.

I am too clever and handsome to answer this leading question...

Fast, wide and flowy with tons of big tables and stunts progressing from easy to difficult. Nothing like this anywhere in the area.

If it was, would this thread exist?

Maybe up to $200 depending on location and legitimacy of trails. The network would have to be designed and built by a real contractor like Gravity Logic for me to be excited about the prospect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    1) Yes, you have to if you want to ride a real lift served bike park.
    I give my money to the Canadians.

2) 5

3) A-line flow lines. We have plenty of rocky chunder in Moab and
    So Utah. A couple drops and some skinnies to mix it up.

4) Far from it.

5) If the trails were designed and built well and maintained, $500-600-700.
    Don't care about price if the value is there.

6) This is obvious........ but mentioning it anyway:
    Middle of July through August in Utah is sun BAKED. Pick the aspects wisely.
    And in the woods.
    And low angle terrain is by far superior to steep brake dragging dusty scree piles.

mtbr member
    Yes. And it should be noted that I had to travel outside the US to do so.

I rate them around 9. Everyone else probably around 3.

Tables, doubles, high-speed wood features, taco stands, berms, the occasional drop.

Not even close.

What's Whistler, $450? I'd pay $350 if it was open 7 days/week, $250 for weekends only.

mtbr member

Yes

Good flow is most important, some well built jumps (ie: non-lipped, long landing floaters), a few stunts, but mostly use natural terrain if possible.

NO!

YES!

Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleWhiteCaveman
    Yes. And it should be noted that I had to travel outside the US to do so.

I rate them around 9. Everyone else probably around 3.

Tables, doubles, high-speed wood features, taco stands, berms, the occasional drop.

Not even close.

What's Whistler, $450? I'd pay $350 if it was open 7 days/week, $250 for weekends only.
    Forgot to add; while you're talking to the un-named resort you might mention that DV meets a very different need. It's downhill, but to me it caters to something very different than Whistler does.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Yes
    A mix of tech, jumps, and berms with flow.
    No
    It all depends on the lift servicing the trails (100-300)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

1. No, but not for lack of want.

2. 8

3. Fast and flowy is the most important. Features like big tables, wall rides, wood stunts, big berms and drops are all welcome, but flow and QUALITY of features is paramount. One well built feature is worth 10 junk features.

4. Not even close. People would ditch DV in droves if there was a better option. The Timberline trail at Brianhead is better than anything at DV but it is far from perfect and only one trail and a long drive to get to.

5. Depends on the quality of stuff that is built. Would pay $300+ no problem if the trails are whistler-esque. Fast lifts would also make a pass worth paying more for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    1. Have you traveled outside of Utah to ride other resorts? Yes. Yearly pilgrimmage to Whistler since 03. A handful of trips to Colorado.

2. On a scale of 1-10 (1 lowest) how would you rate your riding skills? 7

3. What types of features would you like to see on a "freeride" trail? Berms, step-ups, step-downs and most importantly flow. Basically, anything built by a Canadian.

4. Would you say that the need is being met in Utah? Not even close.

5. What would you pay for a season pass if trails were legit? $300-$400

Victim
    1. Yes Many resorts in BC

2. Probably around a 6 or 7

3. Drops, berms, flowing trails, ladder bridges, jumps.

4. Not even a little. Every resort is enamored with 180 degree switch backs and have no flow whatsoever.

5. I.d pay between $200 and $400 for a pass!!

Fartographer
    What up, Justin!

-- Yes

-- Depends on who you compare to An optimistic 7?

-- safe, tabletop jumps, drops, and steep stuff, a la A-Line / Mert Dirchant

-- no

-- How much I would pay would depend on the quantity and diversity of the trails. I wouldn't pay much for one lift-accessed trail. But I'd certainly pay $100 or more if there was real Whistler quality and variety somewhere in the SLC/PC area.

Where are you talking about doing this? Utah is a big state
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    1. Not yet, but planning trips to Whistler and North Star
    2. 7
    3. A lot of flow. Tabletops and gap jumps (obviously marked), ladders, drops whose landings aren't flat, large and well maintained berms, slopestyle type dirtjump park.
    4. Absolutely not. It is sad how far behind we are considering how Utah has traditionally been a hotspot for mountainbiking (southern utah).
    5. It would pay 300 to 500 depending on the quality. If you got a Whistler-type park down here, I'd perhaps pay even more.

mtbr member
    1- Not yet, but I plan too.
    2- 6
    3- Hips, wood features, super fast, bermy, drops with angled landings, different lines on the same trail for different riders.
    4- Not even close, DV has some fun trails but they are no where near Whistler and other parks.
    5-150+ If it was super nice, even more.

mtbr member
    Yes
    Little bit of everything
    No
    50day or 350 for a year pass

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Yes.
    6, on a good day 7
    big flowy berms, table top jumps, multiple options, skinnies, step ups, step downs - all can be built safe, but still fun. See Whistler.

No. There is a push to make things happen, but the need has not yet been met.

$400 if the trails were flowy, well-built, and open past 5 pm (read: until 8:00ish)

See you at the meeting. Unless you flake.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I am meeting with a resort this week to discuss the possibility of building a legit bike park in Utah. We are going to propose they build 3 trails on the Mtn as a test to see how much rider interest they get in it. If you have been to Whistler think A-Line, Crank it Up and Smoke and Mirrors.. At this point they are very interested. (mtn to remain unamed for now)!
    I completely support this idea and we definitely have the terrain available to pull something like this off-and all of it lift accessed.

My two cents: You need to approach it with some sort of a business plan. A big plan. Especially if you're asking them to spend money to build the trails. If you look at the recent history of resorts vs. mountain biking it hasn't been too kind to either side in our state.
    -There's the Boris E100 fiasco which eventually allienated Deer Valley resort, I believe Park City and all of the emergency crew peeps who ended up getting hosed. From what I understand, that left a really bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.
    -Deer Valley stopped hosting national events because the money's just not there.
    -Last year the American Mountain Classic at Brian Head was huge. This year well..."
    Do to poor initial rider participation, and a struggling economy, the staff of Team Big Bear and Blue Wolf productions felt it was best to cancel this year’s American Mountain Stage Race. We look forward to returning to the event for 2010. "

The 2008 Jeep 48Straight event at The Canyons was a huge success in my book. The course was just amazing. It pulled in a ton of spectators, sponsors and elite level riders: Peat, Minnar, EC, Rando, Rennie. It was covered on national television providing a ton of exposure to The Canyons and all of the sponsors. Too bad it and the course lasted less than a week.

As others have said on this site before regarding Deer Valley, they make nothing off of summer mountain biking. Someone ran a figure comparing a day of skiing to the entire summer of lift sales and it was severely lopsided.

If anyone wants to get a resort onboard for the long haul, it might be wise to network and see what type of events (Crankworx for example) might be interested in growing and holding an event in Utah in the near future-and thus providing a huge amount of advertising and income that an event like that could generate for said resort.

Unfortunately, relying on Utah locals for a lot of cash flow just doesn't seem to be cutting it. Go to Deer Valley on a weekday and you've got the place to yourself. Granted, if someone stepped it up some more people would come out of the wood work, but just how many is a guess at this point. I can't imagine how the Wolf Creek experiment is still holding up.

I don't have any answers other than tread lightly. Doing it right the first time could lead to some cool things. Doing it halfassed could take things back a bit even more for any future endeavors.

Good luck.

Whistler once. If you can recreate the spirit of that place and go at it with as much energy as they have you can make lots of money off of those of us not interested in driving 20-24 hours from Salt Lake to Whistler.

Pretty much a .05 this season . Should have just purchased an X-Box. Next year I predict a solid 3-4 in real life, 8-9.5 in my MTBR postings.

Lots of big table tops. Whistler-esque reinforced berms and run-ins to cut down on braking bumps. No hikers or dogs.

We're doing better than Kansas.

Nope. That would just jinx me and I'd end up with a broken arm or bike on the opening day and I wouldn't be able to use it the rest of the year. I'd take the more expensive approach and shell out a lot of coin for day passes.

Unemployed

We need a Utah bike park ASAP!

Yes, but nothing like Whistler or Northstar.

6ish

Good flow. A variety of choices to suit the lesser skilled right up to the high skill level rider. Since there are probably more middle of the range riders than Steve Peats out there, having a little something for everyone is likely critical to the success of any park.

Absolutely NOT.

As Kevin said "Free if you buy a winter season pass." Summer only, +/- $250.
    And as Connie said "Efficient lifts are a part of that too, FWIW. I'm not going to pay as much for a place where the riding is limited by spending all day riding a slow lift with one bike per chair."

My son and his riding pals would want a pass for sure. Of course all this assumes the park in question is, in fact, legit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    1. Yes
    2. 5
    3. FLOW, Dirt Merchant, A Line, In Deep, FLOW
    4. NO
    5. Legit=$200 -.$300 Half-assed like Deer Valley=$0

Oct 2009
    1- no
    2- 5
    3- wooden and earthen drops, jumps and ladders, skinny wood, fat berms, with B and C
    lines to aid progression, something with fire would be nice, and flow is always good.
    (basically everything Oilcan said)
    4- nope
    5- $350 for PC, LCC, BCC, $225 Sundance or further

Thanks for getting the word out. You can count three others in with me, as we were just having this conversation the last day at DV, while consuming adult beverages in the parking lot.

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    1. yes... well but I live in CO, do I still count?
    2. 7
    3. drops, gaps, jumps, natural features, and progressive versions of all of the above
    4. no.
    5. $150-$300 if legit.

mtbr member
    1 - Snowshoe
    2 - 5 maybe 6 on good days
    3 - drops, natural features, skinnies, ladders, north shore stuff rocks. technical riding
    4 -no sir
    5- 150-250

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I havent travelled to resorts outside Utah yet, but I travelled extensively for BMX nationals in the past and often take road trips to ride in the winter, Northstar, Mamoth, Whistler are in the works.
    7-8
    Progressive lines and trials with something for everyone, including things I dont dare to hit yet 40+'. Big berms, wall rides, big gaps, drops, FLOWY, dirt jump park at the bottom, a watering system, our dirt sucks but its not so bad if it is maintained.
    No, and to say that the resorts dont have the ability is a joke! You have multimillion dollar lodges, serious lift rates, expensive everything, you can build some new lines and afford a knowledgeable crew of two or three to do nothing but maintain and build
    I would easily pay 250-300, hell 500 if it is anything close to the places I dream of going, I paid $260 for a DV pass this year. I think a reasonable price for a pass is figure how many weeks you are going to be open ex: 12, Daily lift access rate ex: 30 and figure 80% of that multiplied. I was able to get a few days in "for free" at DV this year and only able to make it up once a week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    1. Have you traveled outside of Utah to ride other resorts, yes quite often.

2. On a scale of 1-10 (1 lowest) how would you rate your riding skills? 8.75 but need to get more air time as we are lacking good places to learn in utah.

3. What types of features would you like to see on a "freeride" trail? Skinnies, table tops and drops, BERMS FOR DAYS

4. Would you say that the need is being met in Utah? Not even close, nothing around to improve bike skills on.

5. What would you pay for a season pass if trails were legit? yes totally.

mtbr member
    No. I would like to, but all of the LEGIT resorts are TOO FAR away.

Jumps, Drops, Berms, but not just crappy ones. Looks at videos of some of the intermediate and advanced trails in whistler, where you can actually be riding 4 foot wide singletrack with some good size optional tabletops in the middle.

Not at all

Add On to Winter Seasons Pass $0-$100
    Standalone Seasons Pass $100-$200 (as long as the resort was Snowbird or Solitude, if not, I would want to pay less)

mtbr member
    Yes, a few times per year.

5-6

FLOW - endless, big berms, jumps, big wood ladders, and a large skills park

Of course not.

$200 - 300 - as someone else said longer hours with the longer summer days for those of us who have to work.

Bored Carp
    I had to think about this a bit, pre-response. Hopefully it isn't too late.

My answers are below. If this "potential resort" is w/in the SLC valley or at the Canyons, there is a strong potential for attracting the outdoor industry's attention for their conventions and dealer promo days. We have several manufacturers who already host meetings and gatherings here in Utah, OR is here, and SLC was on the short list when they considered moving Interbike. Just as the real money in stadiums is made via corporate suites, I think that the key to insuring more than just local visitors is to work with the manufacturers who call the Intermountain West home. It is very hard to find a city with the infrastructure to support a convention (hello, Olympics!) that also has an outdoor area w/in an hour of the convention center and a major airport. While the LV/Bootleg thing is workable, a lift assisted Dirt Demo would be a game changer in terms of how many riders a company could get out on their bikes in 2 days. A couple of XC trails and a road loop (typically w/in a ski area's parking system) is all you need. Interbike is suffering a slow decline, due in part to timing and manufacturing cycles. The solution is to move it to an earlier date, but can you imagine Bootleg in August or July? High alpine trails would be much better.

nope. lots of travel for bikes, but ironically, working in the bike industry means I am pretty home bound in the summer, prepping for next season. A local lift assisted resort would be awesome for me.

ha. based on everyone else's replies, I am either a 3 or an 8.

Great flowy trails with hips and tables, and stunts that utilize the local terrain in an intelligent way. Woodwork doesn't last here, but rocks do. Rather than imitate the NW woodwork, let's create our own style of flow.

No

Well, I just paid 1600 for two Brighton passes. If I got as many days out of my summer pass, I could see spending just as much. In order to get me to do that:

- I need access to fast decent food (um, DV, I want to ride when I go to your resort, not sit at your white tablecloth restaurant wasting hours)

- I need to be able to drive up, ride for 2-4 hours and go home (this means I can get some riding in without killing the whole day). I get my money's worth out of my Brighton pass because I use it on weekends AND weekdays. Weekends only means that I might as well buy day passes, the cost would be similar.

- I need to be able to hit the trails in the evenings after work on the longest days. Open a bit later perhaps, run the (fast) chairs till 8 in June and July. I would gladly leave work early to get some runs in, I do already for XC and shuttle rides.

- trail maintenance and work with the local riders is a must. I really can't think of anything less rad than the way DV treats bikes. I give them money, they make me feel like they don't care about safety (um, how many people have to get hurt on that stupid drop, DV? Can't you build a landing/runout and connector trail??), or about basics like trail improvements.

- you need to offer real progression on your trails or you will only ever attract the best riders, instead of building a reputation as a place fun for every level. It cracks me up how many women have been riding at I-Street since that line of tables got cleaned up (Sparkle Siphon!) and we have a place to try something bigger with a bit less risk. Maintenance is a key part of this - unmaintained trails are harder for beginners.
    Last edited by chuky; 10-19-2009 at 01:05 PM.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Oct 2009
    1. Been there done that. East Coast West Coast BC etc. live in Ut
    2. I am a solid 4 but I ride with some of the best in the state.
    3a. First before we even get to the trail we must ride the lift. It must be a high speed lift which rules out Sundance for one, and DV for second because they run it slow for foot passengers. PCMR nope don't have the big picture. Big Cottonwood resorts nope too much snaaaaa. Little Cottonwood, too steep and to much snaaaaa. Pow Mow or The Canyons. Hidden Lake or Saddleback with gondie access. The Canyons it is. Lets put all of our energy into the Canyons. They already run in summer and have shown some interest.

3b. Trails need something flowy like Crank it up or A line and or Ninja Cougar with some jumps. Need something like rock city or schleyer with lots of tech natural features and something with progressive hits. If you can only have three trails to demonstrate the potential then this would be it. Of course this leaves out the green crowd but that would/could be accommodated with existing summer roads with little expense.

4. No Utards are way behind which is paradoxical.

5. Ditto Chuky except less for pass.

This needs to happen. Put aside petty differences and make it happen people.

mtbr member

Not at resorts but travel quite frequently out of state to ride other trails.

??7or 8?

Big rock gardens, skinny ladders, wide ladders, doubles, berms, whoops, various sized drops with landings

I would say no.

Only if they're 2 legit

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes. I have had season passes to whistler a few year in a row while living in Utah... That says it all!

Some good tech DH that has some speed + Dirt merchant's style trails

Lol. Not remotely

500$+

mtbr member
    1. Yes plenty enough... Do you want a resume????

2. At a legit Park like Whistler I top out at a level 4. At DV I top out at an 8. But after looking at what some of the riding buddies and acquaintances are putting up for numbers... I say a big numero Uno.

3. Berms that don't get destroyed when I hit them. A drop park.

4. Lets get with it.

5. I'm amazed at what some people are putting up as prices they are willing to pay. Whistler's season pass is only $200 (at the current exchange rate $190USD). That is premium riding. For the sake of helping the community... I would pay in blood and tears... or $190USD.
    Bikeless Rider

Picture Unrelated
    So Freebird, you said urgent, do we have a status update?

mtbr member

update

thanks to everyone who posted, please put up your info if you haven't already.

we will have more info this weekend, meeting with 1 of 2 mtns tomorrow-

Ride and Smile

Yes Please!

Yes

Not yet-plans for Whistler next summer

6-8 ish

Good flow is most important, some well built jumps (ie: non-lipped, long landing floaters), a few stunts, but mostly use natural terrain if possible.
    Difficult riding, Flow, fast and anything else

Deer Valley is great, but I'd prefer amazing!

A mountain with 3 trails I would probably pedal up. I paid for DV last summer, about 250? and it could be so much better than it is

Good Luck!!

mtbr member
    Also very curious on updates. Seems like it's been rumorville central here in Utah about more mountains getting on board building bike parks, but no confirmed cases.

mtbr member
    Word is it was very successful with atleast one mountain fully down with it. apparently justin is going to mark a trail with huge burms, big tables, and just good speed this week sometime. not sure anything else confirmed though
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

update

Update?

Picture Unrelated
    Can we help? I'd love to help however I can, flagging, brainstorming, whatever. I think a lot of people are in the same boat.

mtbr member
    any word?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Don't live in Utah, but would absolutely travel to Utah for a good bike park.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by pinnacle10
    Don't live in Utah, but would absolutely travel to Utah for a good bike park.
    Same goes for me. As it stands currently, I've got no incentive with Silverstar, North Shore, Sun Peaks and Whistler within 3 hours of my house (not to mention FR trails in my backyard).

When I go to Utah to ride, it's for XC and mostly in Moab and a little Park City.

EB

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Bump....

Any more info?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    yes i would really love to see a good resort bike park. i wish the canyons were down even with just running the gondola that would be soooo sweet. also i hear new trail at deer valley??

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by mike like bikes
    yes i would really love to see a good resort bike park. i wish the canyons were down even with just running the gondola that would be soooo sweet. also i hear new trail at deer valley??
    The Canyons does run the gondola in the summer and they did put in a new trail a couple seasons ago.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    The Canyons does run the gondola in the summer and they did put in a new trail a couple seasons ago.
    Yeah, but their past offerings have been far short of a bike park. More of a way to get to mid mountain without climbing.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Yeah, but their past offerings have been far short of a bike park. More of a way to get to mid mountain without climbing.
    For sure, Canyons could be so much better. I'm not sure how biking fits into their grand real estate plan (it doesn't seem to). I hear people slamming Deer Valley about their crappy trails, but when I compare them to Park City and the Canyons, Deer Valley totally rocks!

Picture Unrelated
    For sure, Canyons could be so much better. I'm not sure how biking fits into their grand real estate plan (it doesn't seem to). I hear people slamming Deer Valley about their crappy trails, but when I compare them to Park City and the Canyons, Deer Valley totally rocks!
    And how sad is it when Deer Valley is the pinnacle of bike parks in Utah. Anyone who's been to another reasonable bike park knows that we're years behind these places with a single, tiny resort out in the middle of nowhere like Snowshoe or Mountain Creek. I think that's why this thread has so much interest, we're all balled up with shred that we need to get out. I can't wait until we get some more options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Someone like freebird should tell us what the deal is and who is going to have a decent bike park for Summer 2010. I know I would pay for a season pass for a few good trails with freeride features and good downhill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This guy has just about everything you'd except need except maybe the funds/help. And possibly encouragment. Hit him up with your comments.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UM...pic.php?t=6850

Takin'er easy
    If I was going to drive that far North from Salt Lake to ride my bike, I'd keep it going up to Driggs, ID and ride either Teton Pass or Grand Targhee. Maybe the scene in Logan is bigger than I think, but the main obstacle for such a park in that location would be the distance from a large metropolitan area from which to draw business.

mtbr member
    what ever happened to this?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ski
    what ever happened to this?
    Perhaps this is what all the hub-bub was about:

"...I'm working with Dylan Dean on possibly doing a Pro GRT race at Deer Valley in 2011. Deer Valley is also planning on closing Fire Swamp and Theives this summer and building a new gravity trail above Silver Lake."

Regarding the 2010 Utah DH Race Series. Stolen without permission from Go-Ride's website.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Perhaps this is what all the hub-bub was about:

"...I'm working with Dylan Dean on possibly doing a Pro GRT race at Deer Valley in 2011. Deer Valley is also planning on closing Fire Swamp and Theives this summer and building a new gravity trail above Silver Lake."

Regarding the 2010 Utah DH Race Series stolen without permission from Go-Ride's website.
    Negative. Think further south. I haven't heard any updates on anything though.

mtbr member
    ^I always had a hunch it was Sundance...

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Negative. Think further south. I haven't heard any updates on anything though.
    I'm going to assume that since you didn't post up a resort name and 'haven't heard any updates' that you're just shooting blanks. And assuming this secret bike park is going to be on a resort I would again assume that if it had any backbone that there would have been a fairly big press release by now. Resorts don't act in secret when there's a lot of coin involved. Snowbird didn't build a tunnel in secret and then 'surprise!' we have a tunnel accessing more terrain. Nope...

Given the fact that this was touted by the OP as being a 'bike park' I would assume that it won't be ready in 2010. Unless 'bike park' actually means A new DH trail-as in one, singular. As in a new DH trail at DV-at least we know there's a bit of merit behind that Mcrumor.

Speculate on...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Not "shooting blanks" but thanks for making that assumption about me. Really, I appreciate it.

That said I don't know much more than where it was proposed, and it's not my place to say where. But it ain't DV.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Free Turner Bikes!! Need Input ASAP!!

^I always had a hunch it was Sundance...
    Hmmmm...next to zero parking. Deathly slow lifts. Not a lot of elevation loss. First thing that came to my mind when he mentioned 'further south' was Snowbird or Solitude.

But this thread has all but fizzled out with any credibility and is just pure speculation/hope.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Bang!..

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    That said I don't know much more than where it was proposed, and it's not my place to say where. But it ain't DV.
    ...There goes another one.

Anyway. Good luck with whatever you're doing.

mtbr member
    yeah..

In all honesty I have always thought it was Solitude or The Canyons. But neither is really "further south" than Deer Valley.

Snowbird won't do it. They won't even build a terrain park for winter, so how could they convince their insurance to cover a downhill bike setup?

Solitude though..they seem like they are headed that direction more and more each year, now they just need to take a leap

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    yeah..

In all honesty I have always thought it was Solitude or The Canyons. But neither is really "further south" than Deer Valley.

Snowbird won't do it. They won't even build a terrain park for winter, so how could they convince their insurance to cover a downhill bike setup?

Solitude though..they seem like they are headed that direction more and more each year, now they just need to take a leap
    From the very limited interaction I have had with Solitude managment I would be very surprised if it is them. I was thinking Brighton. They were the first resort around here to open up to snowboarding, they have a major portion of the front side of the mountain dedicated to a terrain park, I know the managment are pretty cool people (for whatever that is worth). They could run the crest quad and have a pretty decent set up.

mtbr member
    ^ actually...Alta was one of the first 3 resorts in the world to allow snowboarding (before Brighton even). The first year they allowed snowboarding the accident rates on the mountain tripled...so they banned it and haven't looked back yet.

But yes, Brighton did go over to Snowboarding very quickly...they have never been very biker friendly though.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Elk Meadows

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ^ actually...Alta was one of the first 3 resorts in the world to allow snowboarding (before Brighton even). The first year they allowed snowboarding the accident rates on the mountain tripled...so they banned it and haven't looked back yet.

But yes, Brighton did go over to Snowboarding very quickly...they have never been very biker friendly though.
    I had no idea about Alta and I grew up skiing there. That must have been before my time. Learn something new everyday.

mtbr member
    Whoever is involved in this might want to talk to Joel Martinez and crew about their efforts to get a bike park at Stevens Pass up here in Washington: [email protected]. You know, pitfalls, lessons learned, yada yada. Getting a hold of Gravity Logic would be a wise move too...

ride more.
    Nov 2004

I can say that Summit is in the know, as am I, as I attended the meeting with said resort who was considering upping their current offerings and possibly expanding to include a park. It looked rather promising for a time, though I dont know how much has been done since the meeting. I would expect that many will be excited about what Summit County will be doing over the next ten months, and the need for a cool place to ride may be satisfied. Think Boise, but a lot closer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    No.

4-5

big banked turns like bob sled. jumps that range from small to large.

no opinion. i've only been to Deer Valley.

$250-$350.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    there was a meeting with the sundance people. they apparently are fine with something going on

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson
    there was a meeting with the sundance people. they apparently are fine with something going on
    As opposed to absolutely nothing going on?
    Or just some things going on, but not all things?
    Like another linen table wine tasting festival to round out the summer?

Sounds good.

Thanks for the update.

I'm looking forward to it.
    I should be looking forward to it.
    I will be looking forward to it.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Were freebird and EP at the meeting, or was this some other meeting that you guys attended?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I was in on this meeting but was issued a gag order ala Larry Flint. Here's a copy of the minutes:

nmpearson: So what's going on?
    Sundance: Do you mean what is going on now or what may be going on later?
    nmpearson: Which would you prefer?
    Sundance: Well right now this meeting's going on and Paz is out back spreading salt on that icy patch behind the restaurant delivery door.
    nmpearson: But is something going to be going on???
    Sundance: Yes. Something is definitely going to be going on.
    nmpearson: Cool.
    Sundance: Cool.
    nmpearson: So we're on the same page????
    Sundance: About????
    nmpearson: Something going on?
    Sundance: Definitely.
    nmpearson: Cool.
    Sundance: Cool.

mtbr member
    Utah brakes my heart. All those great mountains it should be the shizlle and the best they have is deer valley and their crappy trails? DV could be a DH destination instead of just a big real estate play. The east coast with our tiny mountains are way better highland,diablo,platty whiteface just to name a few. Utah should be the the DH capital of the US.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter
    Utah brakes my heart. All those great mountains it should be the shizlle and the best they have is deer valley and their crappy trails? DV could be a DH destination instead of just a big real estate play. The east coast with our tiny mountains are way better highland,diablo,platty whiteface just to name a few. Utah should be the the DH capital of the US.
    I understand what you're driving at. But if you can get past the DH/Resort Lift Access part of your Utah as the shizlle destination-it is the shizlle.

Actually it sucks. I wouldn't bother driving out here. Too many rocks.

mtbr member
    Why did you need the information so ASAP if no ski resort has still yet to come forward and announce their plan?

Chumley for prez!
    Bump for SLCrockymountainrider because he threatened a "blue frown" if he didn't get some answers ASAP.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    Bump for SLCrockymountainrider because he threatened a "blue frown" if he didn't get some answers ASAP.
    fjucker.

Chumley for prez!
    fjucker.
    fixed it for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    wow...i haven't looked at this thread in a while. i'm glad to see all the sarcasm going on. This is the information i heard. i'm pretty good friends with freebird but am still going to not name names

freebird is one of the best photographers or the best in utah. him and a local established pro met with sundance about offering much better runs and a freeride area. apparently they were fine with new trails and features being built. They were pushing for this spring for a new super flowy a-line style trail. Not sure if it's actually going to happen as the management is pretty slow about doing things. I know a few of you are just trying to be jerks to me...but i'm trying too. I actually did personally speak to the general manager about it(i came up to him after he came and spoke to one of my business classes). Atleast he wants something done as he wants sundance to be a much bigger deal as far as resorts.

hope i answered the sarcasm that was stated...i'm stoked freebird actually did something though. it's much better than moaning about it

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    wow...i haven't looked at this thread in a while. i'm glad to see all the sarcasm going on. This is the information i heard. i'm pretty good friends with freebird but am still going to not name names
    hope i answered the sarcasm that was stated...i'm stoked freebird actually did something though. it's much better than moaning about it
    Well nm, there were never any real hard feelings other than a bunch of rolling of the eyes as the OP was such a frantic post. Followed by a bunch of responses and then absolutely nothing. So I would venture to say there is still a bit of apprehension about all of this, especially when considering the outlet is supposed to be Sundance. It's just a bit difficult to picture something along those lines actually being pulled off or even being started there.

Though I still have wet dreams about the terrain park and sweet and long DS course Wolf Mountain put up and tore down in one summer. Granted, the terrain park was a bit small but given the size of the resort it was all relative-plus they would let you off the lift mid-way if you wanted to do fast laps. Or as fast as that lift would allow.

I did hear through freebird (I receive his twice daily freeride trail updates via carrier pigeon, e-fax and Fed Ex Home Delivery) that there may be something happening at the sledding park on the backside of Parley's across the freeway from Jeremy Ranch.

And then there's the Deer Valley one step forward, two steps back factor and their supposedly putting in a new DH trail after nixing two.

So lot's of speculation. We'll celebrate when it all comes together. Until then, the Humdinger is legit as is Bruce's as a suitable outlet for any rogue bike park frustrations.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    slc - not sure where nmpearson is getting his info re: sundance. It may be a miscommunication between freebird and nmpearson. I was also in attendance at the meeting with freebird and local pro. I did not walk away from the meeting with the impression that new trails with features or a flowy A-line style trail will be built at Sundance this year, or any year. It was proposed, but not agreed to. While it would be cool to see Sundance step up, I am not holding my breath. Mountain manager seems willing to jump on board, but not sure if upper management/ownership will go for it.

In re: Park City sledding park beta, that is happening. Plans are being drawn up currently, riders have discussed and/or walked the area with Bob Radke, Snyderville Basin Rec Director, and construction (with machinery) should begin once the snow melts. It should be rideable this year. Some very good riders who frequent this forum are assisting in the construction. Additionally, there is a freeride-style park that is currently being advertised for bidders near the current trailside skills park. Construction on that park (think Boise) will hopefully begin late this summer, though not confirmed. More info can be found here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=615912

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    slc - not sure where nmpearson is getting his info re: sundance. It may be a miscommunication between freebird and nmpearson.
    I'm guessing it's because nmpearson frequents Outback Steak House and doesn't realize that if you want a beer in an Australian restaurant you have to order 'Wanker Juice' instead of 'beer', which is just dirty dishwashing water down under.

Foster's. It's 'stralian for wanker juice! Of course, they bastardized the original commercial for American audiences .

s
    In re: Park City sledding park beta, that is happening. Plans are being drawn up currently, riders have discussed and/or walked the area with Bob Radke, Snyderville Basin Rec Director, and construction (with machinery) should begin once the snow melts. It should be rideable this year. Some very good riders who frequent this forum are assisting in the construction. Additionally, there is a freeride-style park that is currently being advertised for bidders near the current trailside skills park. Construction on that park (think Boise) will hopefully begin late this summer, though not confirmed. More info can be found here:
    Now that this thread is making progress, I'm assuming this will be a fee-for-access type set up, which is fine. Are we talking lift access, dirt road shuttle ala Bootleg Canyon, tow rope? Or push/pedal your bike up and deal with it in 20lbs of your buddies unwashed 661 armor worn on the outside of your black, long sleeve T? For example, like the gents who frequent the Bobsled and ride the main smooth line down the middle with all that crap on with full DH bikes .

Where's my 29'er?

Ok, now I'm just getting off topic.

Thanks for clarification/info BTW.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Now that this thread is making progress, I'm assuming this will be a fee-for-access type set up, which is fine. Are we talking lift access, dirt road shuttle ala Bootleg Canyon, tow rope? Or push/pedal your bike up and deal with it in 20lbs of your buddies unwashed 661 armor worn on the outside of your black, long sleeve T? For example, like the gents who frequent the Bobsled and ride the main smooth line down the middle with all that crap on with full DH bikes .

Where's my 29'er?

Ok, now I'm just getting off topic.

Thanks for clarification/info BTW.
    No lift, rope tow, etc. Also, no fee. This is a straight up public trail no different that Glenwild, Flying Dog, etc. An uphill trail will be built, that can be pushed up by guys like me, or ridden up by those with no sense. Your smelly tight jeans, spiked belts, and armor will be drug up with you, along with the 29'er. I heard there is talk of a burrito stand at the top, but that is still in the works.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    No lift, rope tow, etc. Also, no fee. This is a straight up public trail no different that Glenwild, Flying Dog, etc. An uphill trail will be built, that can be pushed up by guys like me, or ridden up by those with no sense. Your smelly tight jeans, spiked belts, and armor will be drug up with you, along with the 29'er. I heard there is talk of a burrito stand at the top, but that is still in the works.
    Well I stand corrected and intrigued, as do my tight smelly jeans.

I guess I need to start shopping for the appropriate Whistler grom green shoes, tight black pants, yellow spiked belt, and purple/black striped Baby Gap T sans any visible armor. Fortunately the neu-grom frowns the use of gloves and fancy eyewear so I'll save lots of $$$ in that dept to use at the burrito stand at the top so as to increase the man funk in said tight smelly jeans.

Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    slc - not sure where nmpearson is getting his info re: sundance. It may be a miscommunication between freebird and nmpearson. I was also in attendance at the meeting with freebird and local pro. I did not walk away from the meeting with the impression that new trails with features or a flowy A-line style trail will be built at Sundance this year, or any year. It was proposed, but not agreed to. While it would be cool to see Sundance step up, I am not holding my breath. Mountain manager seems willing to jump on board, but not sure if upper management/ownership will go for it.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=615912
    that's news to me...justin did make it seem like they were willing to add onto the existing trails, but just that they didn't agree to anything. as far as i have heard upper management does want to change, but maybe not as fast as we would want them to.

i am glad to see things going well for the freeride community. Sorry if people are mad at me. I didn't mean to cause any false hope. I didn't make anything up. it's just what i heard from other people. I do talk to a ton of people owning a bikeshop and all...so i do hear a ton of things from a ton of different people. Honestly...i love sundance. the lifts are slow, but during the summer i'm up there 2-3 days a week for a few hours. I can grab a few runs in before heading up to my shop. I would like to see a flowier trail, but i am certainly stoked to have such a good lift access resort 15 minutes away from my apartment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You can can most assuredly count on any developments being made at Sundance as out of the picture. Not sure exactly who you were talking too but it is all empty promises and broken dreams that some don't want to let go of. Unless the ownership changes, one of their main goals is to preserve as much of the property in it's natural state, this includes the ski mountain boundaries. Just look at the number of years it took to bring back a terrain park during the winter and the quality of what they did bring back, and that doesn't require half as much man power and overhead as digging out a new trails system. Don't mean to be a downer because I too don't want to let go of those broken dreams but Sundance will never be the place that those dreams are realized. It's the blind leading the blind up there.

mtbr member
    I cannot believe I go to Utah to ski during the winter because of the quality snow and big mountains. Yet I am better off in New York City for Dh lift access then Utah? Wow, why is that? The big resorts won't support it?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I cannot believe I go to Utah to ski during the winter because of the quality snow and big mountains. Yet I am better off in New York City for Dh lift access then Utah? Wow, why is that? The big resorts won't support it?
    It's actually Chumley's fault. Well, his little brother Chupie actually. They feel that if the resorts here are mellow enough it will in turn, make them look extremely core and pro. That's also the reason why they won't ride out of state or even beyond Provo.

Good news is that he accepted the Assistant to the Night Manager position at a Little Cesar's last week. So we feel that he'll be buttered up in a month or two and will become insignificant once he moves away from his healthy vegan diet to one filled with trans-fats and things found on the floor in and around the pizza making tables.

Picture Unrelated
    Now you see why this thread had so much interest. The big resorts seemingly have no interest in competing in the bike market leaving not so many options. Good news has been coming in slow, so maybe someday the resorts will catch up some day.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Not to bump this thread back to the top but seeing as how this was mentioned a few times in here, by myself, I think it's worth noting and clarifying.

Apparently this e-statement: "Deer Valley is also planning on closing Fire Swamp and Theives this summer and building a new gravity trail above Silver Lake." is incorrect. They are indeed open and waiting for you to turn them into moondust.

And apparently there is little to no motivation to build an 'A-line' type trail up at DV. Perhaps something more 'flowy' in the micro space between Thieves and Fire Swamp, but that is just a pipe dream at this point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What does Wolf Mountain look like for downhill this year?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruda911
    What does Wolf Mountain look like for downhill this year?
    From what Wayno The Insane-O told me the dirt was nice and tacky for last weekend's race. So I would say probably slightly less nice and tacky right now and moving towards moon dust soon.

mtbr member

DV slowly headed toward MTB expansion

Take a look: http://utahbusiness.com/issues/artic...ide_operations

Now, everyone contact Steve Graff (Resort mountain biking manager at DV) and tell him its time for DV to build a world class UT bike park. As proof, point him to this thread...still dreaming
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you will suck forever.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Expansion is for easier access to the new Montage Resort.. DV has no interest in catering to anyone else!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Utah is about 5-10 years behind any trends or popular ideas

resorts out here would rather build roller coasters and zip lines

mtbr member
    Canyons told me last year that Whistler style biking was in their 5 year plan.

for some reason I don't believe them

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Canyons told me last year that Whistler style biking was in their 5 year plan.

for some reason I don't believe them
    I have heard similar nasty rumors from what seems like a legit source ::crosses fingers::
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    cpj.slc over on TGR is saying that someone at I-Street is spreading rumors that "I got talking to a guy for a few minutes and he was convinced that The Canyons had hired Gravity Works to build a serious bike park/ trail system. It sounds too good to be true, but I guess I want to believe it so much I am willing to see if anyone in Maggotdome has heard anything similar. In fact as I write this I am starting to think how ridiculous it sounds."

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think the guy I was talking to was Ronny. So there you go.

Ride and Smile
    cpj.slc over on TGR is saying that someone at I-Street is spreading rumors that "I got talking to a guy for a few minutes and he was convinced that The Canyons had hired Gravity Works to build a serious bike park/ trail system. It sounds too good to be true, but I guess I want to believe it so much I am willing to see if anyone in Maggotdome has heard anything similar. In fact as I write this I am starting to think how ridiculous it sounds."
    The rumor is out, and I think folks at the Canyons are helping to spread it. BUT, they must co-operate with the most litigious family in Park City to use a good portion of their best terrain.

DOH!
    I find the prospects unlikely.

Considering The Canyons nuked an entire aspen forest AND the one DH-ish trail they DID have last year (in order to build their new quad), and that they let a biblical plague of sheep annually run roughshod over the mountain in the fall (every wonder why sections of the Mid Mtn look like they have been subjected to a landslide starting in about October? Sheep!), why would they even want to entertain the thought of building a "Whistler-like bike park"?

Additionally, if something that high-profile was in the works, I wouldn't think a corporate entity would want to keep it hush-hush. If you want to make money, you'd need to start building anticipation among the potential user base ASAP, so that by the time the ribbon is cut, people would be in a frenzy to pay pay pay and ride ride ride.

The Canyons has some crazy terrain; it would be terrific if there was an iota of truth to rumors of a Whistler South in the works. I'll simply count the flying pigs outside my office window while I wait for that iota to float by...

mtbr member
    The rumor is out, and I think folks at the Canyons are helping to spread it. BUT, they must co-operate with the most litigious family in Park City to use a good portion of their best terrain.
    I just got word from canyons. No official announcement yet. Trying to keep thi DL I think....but something is in the works...........

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I decided to pester them a bit on the twitterz. Here's what I got:

Yup, "Random Question Wednesday" is back, asking you what spring activity @TheCanyons gets you excited? https://forums.mtbr.com/**************/4Sxx9

@TheCanyons Whister-style bike park! Yes I will keep pestering you. And pestering. And be "that" social media guy til I get what I want

@bceditor Why Whistler style? Why not Canyons style?

@TheCanyons If Canyons style is anything like Whistler/Sol Vista/Northstar/Winter Park/Keystone I'm all for it! Just don't be another DV.

mtbr member
    Canyons told me no promises but they want at least a preliminary bike park opening this summer. Mountain ops is working on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Canyons told me no promises but they want at least a preliminary bike park opening this summer. Mountain ops is working on it.
    That would be amazing if it happens. I would buy a season pass for sure.

mtbr member

Press Release

Canyons Press Release Dated today says that a 3 trail Gravity Style park is slated to open this summer. No opening Date on the trails, but it's definitely coming.
    DIPLOMACY: It's the art of letting others have my way...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDoc View Post
    Canyons Press Release Dated today says that a 3 trail Gravity Style park is slated to open this summer. No opening Date on the trails, but it's definitely coming.
    Link to the press release?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Ride and Smile

Bad Start

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Not to me. I can't think of a worse place to put it.
    The High Meadows lift is pretty lame. It's a fixed cable. I took the kids up it once (summer mountain bike coach). I won't do it again. I saw one lady being evac'd from getting hit by the lift and a couple of other getting smacked as well. They tell you to get off the chair and run to the side.
    I really appreciate the effort from the Canyons to make something happen. But I can't think of a worse place on the mountain to do it. BUMMER!
    (I sure hope I'm wrong)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I heard they are shooting for a tentative opening date of August.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl View Post
    Not to me. I can't think of a worse place to put it.
    The High Meadows lift is pretty lame. It's a fixed cable. I took the kids up it once (summer mountain bike coach). I won't do it again. I saw one lady being evac'd from getting hit by the lift and a couple of other getting smacked as well. They tell you to get off the chair and run to the side.
    I really appreciate the effort from the Canyons to make something happen. But I can't think of a worse place on the mountain to do it. BUMMER!
    (I sure hope I'm wrong)
    why not tell them that yourself? I know they have already started building, but everything on that lift is accessible from saddleback, so perhaps they could open that instead...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Agreed but you have to start somewhere. First we had Bob's Basin, now we have Arcylon. And so on...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Agreed but you have to start somewhere. First we had Bob's Basin, now we have Arcylon. And so on...
    Yeah - and the new stuff at Trailside is shockingly good. Plus - LOTS of people out there this past weekend... I think things are looking up. Will have to remember to keep bugging the Canyons as well to remind them we are interested!

mtbr member
    I'll see what I can find out about saddleback. Riding Deer Valley vs. Park City has always been awesome because of the speed of the lifts at Deer Valley. Riding slow lifts is lame.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    why not tell them that yourself? I know they have already started building, but everything on that lift is accessible from saddleback, so perhaps they could open that instead...
    Yeah, I should. But it will be nice to have something. And since there is only about 400 feet of vertical - pedal and play seems viable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thats cool Canyons is planning to build some trails...Whatever they build, just do it right...make it legit, please no lame trails and try to pass them off as FR/DH...MAKE IT LEGIT!!

Dont say you want to start out slow or small and build lame stuff...build a beginner, intermediate and advanced trails... oh, and make em' legit!!

Build it right and they will come!!

Looking forward to the trails, thanks Canyons(I think)

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    This is HUGE!!! THANK YOU CANYONS FOR STEPPING UP!

I'll echo others sentiments that the Canyons really needs to step it up and do this right, but a slow start is better than no start. I've heard that they may already be considering running Saddleback in the future if this takes off. And, of course, more vert and more trails in time.

I'll be there opening day wearing out the trails, STOKED!

mtbr member
    3 trails to start is fine as long as they are "legit" as some of the other posts state.If they are going to do it right I have no problem with a slow start.

Any word on who is building the trails? Is it an in house effort or did they hire outside?

mtbr member
    someone said it was gravity works..but an exec told me he wasn't sure who it was or even if they had hired outside help.

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    Add me to the list of people that are stoked about the Canyons building a bike park. If they do it right, I can guarantee there will be two season passes in my household.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    someone said it was gravity works..but an exec told me he wasn't sure who it was or even if they had hired outside help.
    I think Progressive Trail Design (the guys that did Trail Side Park) is trying to get a shot at it. I hope they do. It would be really cool to see what they could do with some more vert and authority to build an "advanced trail".

mtbr member

local crew

Don't forget that a big part of Trailside was local crew Alpine Trails, me included, I even ended up moving here because of the project.

One of our boys, Derek Thomson, is also rebuilding the PC dirt jumps right now.

There will be more news on the Canyons next month I'm sure, they have their hands full with big construction projects starting right now. Besides there is still FEET of snow up there for a bit. Think warm thoughts.

This will be an EPIC summer in the Wasatch.
    Ben

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redriderbb View Post
    Don't forget that a big part of Trailside was local crew Alpine Trails, me included, I even ended up moving here because of the project.

One of our boys, Derek Thomson, is also rebuilding the PC dirt jumps right now.

There will be more news on the Canyons next month I'm sure, they have their hands full with big construction projects starting right now. Besides there is still FEET of snow up there for a bit. Think warm thoughts.

This will be an EPIC summer in the Wasatch.
    Ben
    I didn't mean to forget about Alpine Trails, you guys rock! Thanks for all the work on Trailside. It would be awesome if you can have a hand it Canyons stuff, I would love to see what you could bring to life.

Members who have read this thread: 0