UPS from LPS w/ snow??? 4/13-4/18- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    76

    UPS from LPS w/ snow??? 4/13-4/18

    Spoke w/ shuttle service about Porcupine Rim this coming week 4/13-18. Report was van can make it up to top of LPS, but snow covering UPS currently. Reading posts, it sounds like peeps are still hitting UPS?! How are you getting to the top? Ride from LPS?

    Also, snow may be expected tomorrow. How would that effect Porcupine Rim in it's entirety? I know, it depends on how much falls, but how much is too much. We don't see much white stuff in TX......

    Thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wormvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,160
    I rode Porc on Monday the 6th. It was terrible. LPS wasn't even doable. We had at least 6" of snow all over and more on LPS and more on UPS and it was melting. There was tons of mud and puddles and little streams and snow. It was rideable but was a mess for a long time. Eventually it totally dried up but is was miles and miles of crap. The shuttle drivers don't always tell you the whole truth cause they want your money. Make sure you get a accurate trail report.
    One year a shuttle driver told my buddies LPS was clear so they went for it only to have to hike through huge snow drifts for miles.
    Good luck and make sure to report back if you go for it!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crager34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    384
    LPS down should be pretty good, but some snow/wet area should be expected. Overall... a good time.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

  4. #4
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,306

    can a local chime in here?

    gonna be up there may 8-14.

    will the enchilada be free of snow and dried up by then?

    i'm sure everything lower will be good. yes?
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  5. #5
    Big Gulps, Alright!
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,223
    LPS was clear today. Muddy in some spots, but almost no snow. UPS was still crummy, to my knowledge. Porc Rim was gorgeous...
    Axle Standards Explained

    Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neilether's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    540
    Thanks for the updates and keep 'em coming. My group will be down there on Saturday (4/18) and we're hoping to do both UPS and LPS. At least LPS. It sounds like LPS should be fine. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the UPS.

  7. #7
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,306
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether
    Thanks for the updates and keep 'em coming. My group will be down there on Saturday (4/18) and we're hoping to do both UPS and LPS. At least LPS. It sounds like LPS should be fine. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the UPS.
    and keep us posted too!

    in addition to general trail conditions, let us know how far up you can go. lps... 'pelli... hazard...

    thanks, and happy trails!
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Orangerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    gonna be up there may 8-14.

    will the enchilada be free of snow and dried up by then?

    i'm sure everything lower will be good. yes?
    TWE will be closed. I was just told by a shuttle service that it wouldnt be open/rideable when I'll be there in late May. "No way" were his words.

  9. #9
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangerider
    TWE will be closed. I was just told by a shuttle service that it wouldnt be open/rideable when I'll be there in late May. "No way" were his words.
    i just called coyote shuttle, and they said burro is under 10 ft of snow.

    guess i'm going to bootleg and do some riding in arizona instead...
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  10. #10
    frejwilk
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    i just called coyote shuttle, and they said burro is under 10 ft of snow.

    guess i'm going to bootleg and do some riding in arizona instead...

    Umm, Burro Pass is usually under several feet of snow this time of year. Being 11,000'+ and all. Of course, there are more rides in Moab than Burro Down... And this is actually the good time of year to ride most of them.

    FW

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    76
    I'm currently in Moab and the weather has worked out pretty well this week. Some rain and snow yesterday, but LPS and UPS should be open tomorrow (I'm putting my money on it). Everything above UPS is closed. This includes Kokopelli (which some have ridden but completely bog down with mud to the point where the wheels won't spin), hazzard, burro. The shuttles take you to what they are calling MPS, which is a cut off from the jeep road over to the beginning of UPS.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdf1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    178
    Thanks for the update. I'll be there tomorrow and hope to do UPS as well Saturday. Have a good ride.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neilether's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    540
    I just got back from Moab yesterday. We rode the LPS section on Saturday (4/18). Based on a recommendation from a shop, and the fact that more precipitation fell there toward the end of the week, we didn't try UPS. In retrospect, it was probably decent. There were a few muddy sections toward the top of LPS, but nothing too bad. With the good weather down there for the foreseeable future, it should be fine.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    148
    Great! - I'm planning on riding it on May 1st. Sounds like UPS/LPS will be fine, but what do you guys think about Hazard? I know Burro Pass is out, but I don't mind a little snow/mud as long as it's not gumbo clay stuff.

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by jyount
    Great! - I'm planning on riding it on May 1st. Sounds like UPS/LPS will be fine, but what do you guys think about Hazard? I know Burro Pass is out, but I don't mind a little snow/mud as long as it's not gumbo clay stuff.
    The gumbo clay (bentonite) condition ends about 2/3 of the way down the Kokopelli trail. So you only have to carry your bike two miles down the Kokopelli before you might get a chance to ride it.

    The gumbo adds about 20 lbs. to your bike weight and it takes a high-pressure hose to remove it. So if you try and ride in it, add about 3 to 4 hours to your ride plan dealing with the carrying your bike and trying to scrape off the clay from your tires, chain, front and rear derailleur and front fork stanchions.

    Als carry a spare rear derailleur and hanger. I have seen several people ripe off their derailleur when the clay totally engulfs the derailleur and little rocks jamb the pulley section.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    27

    A little help on the Acroyms.

    I was there last year at this time and rode Porcupine rim with a large group. Some drove to a trailhead others rode from the hotel. When you say LPS / UPS, are they just differen shuttle drop offs to porcupine?

    Thanks

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Twindad
    I was there last year at this time and rode Porcupine rim with a large group. Some drove to a trailhead others rode from the hotel. When you say LPS / UPS, are they just differen shuttle drop offs to porcupine?

    Thanks

    This might help out:

    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/enchilada.htm

  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Twindad
    I was there last year at this time and rode Porcupine rim with a large group. Some drove to a trailhead others rode from the hotel. When you say LPS / UPS, are they just differen shuttle drop offs to porcupine?

    Thanks
    Dad:

    The direct answer is yes. That being said Porcupine is the last section of the Whole Enchilada (Gieser Pass/Burro Pass/Warner Lake/Hazard County/Kokopelli/UPS/MPS/LPS/Porcupine Rim).

    Basiclly they all have different shuttle drop-off points. If you wanted to pay a shuttle extra to take you to the different starting points I am sure they would take your money. Since the MPS and UPS are totally illegal, but ridden by thousands each year the shuttle companies could loose their permits so you would have to hire a gypo service to take you to the illegal trails.

    Hope that helps- TD

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    148
    They rerouted UPS and the legal route is now open...

  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by jyount
    They rerouted UPS and the legal route is now open...
    WOW is that right, that is great . The FS deserves credit for making that happen. The shuttle services must be happy about that.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MATPHAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    63
    Hey all, going to be up there trying out Burro down on May 19th. Any chance it will have cleared?
    I'm guessing not, but worth asking.

  22. #22
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,306
    Quote Originally Posted by MATPHAT
    Hey all, going to be up there trying out Burro down on May 19th. Any chance it will have cleared?
    I'm guessing not, but worth asking.
    i called coyote shuttle and asked them if it would be open soon and he laughed at me.

    said to come back in july and ride it.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kokothemonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether
    I just got back from Moab yesterday. We rode the LPS section on Saturday (4/18). Based on a recommendation from a shop, and the fact that more precipitation fell there toward the end of the week, we didn't try UPS. In retrospect, it was probably decent. There were a few muddy sections toward the top of LPS, but nothing too bad. With the good weather down there for the foreseeable future, it should be fine.
    Updated reports? Is anyone going this weekend? I am doing this ride May 3rd and was hoping UPS/LPS would be mud and snow free. Thanks!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MATPHAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    63
    Yeah, I usually do it in the fall, so I've never had to consider the snow pack.
    I have to assume it's like our local pack above Boulder, which is to say 60" +
    Guess I'll be waiting till fall.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2
    Just road from kokopelli down on friday. The forest service was putting up the sign to ups when we went by. It is officialy open on monday.

  26. #26
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by ripin
    Just road from kokopelli down on friday. The forest service was putting up the sign to ups when we went by. It is officialy open on monday.
    Rip:

    Did they let you ride the UPS or did you have to continue down the Kokopelli?

    TD

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2
    hey doc we road ups it is now a legal trail as of this coming monday. They let us go along with a every one and there dog it was packed. The trail was in ok shape no mud even a little dusty. Always a blast though will have a video later need to do some editing.

  28. #28
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by ripin
    hey doc we road ups it is now a legal trail as of this coming monday. They let us go along with a every one and there dog it was packed. The trail was in ok shape no mud even a little dusty. Always a blast though will have a video later need to do some editing.
    Rip:

    How were the re-route sections to ride? Do you have any video of those sections?

    TD

  29. #29
    Mojo0115
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,667
    Kokopelli was in great shape Sunday - fast, no mud except for one water bar crossing.

    The UPS re-route is different than the original. I grew on me second time around. It has a couple of excellent rock sections and a lot of fast and flowing sections in the trees. You are not along the rim anymore.

    My first thought was "well, at least it is legal now", but second time on it I had a smile all the way.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    408

    Above Kokepelli?

    Anyone know if Hazard will be doable by this weekend?

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.