• 01-22-2014
    getagrip
    Upcoming visit to St George...a few questions
    In just over a month, I plan to visit the St George area to get some sunshine and do some mountain biking. Currently, I live in Idaho, and moved here from Nebraska about 5 months ago. The most advanced trails I've ridden were in Sedona, Arizona last year, on my 29er hardtail. I'm pretty convinced that had I not been on my 29er with a half way decent fork, I would have gone over the handlebars several times!

Just looking for some ideas about where to ride that aren't extremely advanced. I will be there for a total of three days. Will be pretty out of shape, because I have not been active AT ALL this Winter. I plan to bring my 29er and my 26er hardtail, or should I just leave the 26er at home? My goal is to have a bunch of fun and not get hurt! :)

Also, what tire tread to use. My 29er has Kenda Small Block 8 tires. Was thinking about getting some tires with better tread for the sand, but I hear a lot of the area in the St George area is really rocky.

Anyway, any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:
  • 01-22-2014
    johnnyspoke
    29" hardtail will be fine. I've only ridden in Sedona once but my impression is Sedona is more tech (at least the popular rides) than St. George.

check out utahmountainbiking.com for trail descriptions. Bear claw poppy, JEM, Gooseberry are all classics and fun on a hardtail, although if you've been off the bike for a while the constant rock at Goose might start to get to your back. I think the stuff out by Santa Clara rides well on a hardtail also, even though it has more rock. That would be Barrel roll, Sidewinder, Suicidal tendencies, Rim trails etc.

Tires grip on rock pretty well, and I'd think a SB8 would be fine, at least in the back. I'd probably want something a little more aggressive in the front though
  • 01-22-2014
    Pedalfaraway
    Check for the st george/hurricane trip planner thread. I know there used to be one i bet you can dig it up.

There is alot of trail in the area you will not lack trail options. Here are some of my favorites. In no particular order

1. Hurricane rim/Jem/Hurricane rim. This makes a ride shaped roughly like a lolly pop and is 2-3 hours. The rim has some climbing and is a bit techy, and the Jem is smooth very fast and has gentle climbing.

2. Paradise Canyon/Race course or zen/ Bear claw. Very close to town. Paradise is a short loop but has a great fast DH with some fun drops. Only like 20 min loop so i usually go around it and then take the bike path to the race course area. Once there the options are seeming endless. If you go around zen or the race course then head back for about a 2 hour ride, or add the Bear Claw trail and then return for about a 3 hour ride, or from the BCP head up stuki for a 4 hour ride, or after stuki head out to the barrell roll area for a 5-6 hour ride, you see my point. This is the area where the true grit 100 race is held for good reason.
    3. Broken mesa. No reason just a great ride.

As for tires get something durable. The area has lots of sharp rocks so durble tires are a must. I would also opt for a front tire with better grip. I have been using the control version of Speciaized's Captain, renegade (rear) and ground control and think they work great.
  • 01-23-2014
    dustyduke22
    A little off topic, but when I worked in a shop down in STG, we had a customer that had a Maxxis Hookworm for his back tire! It is a slick, urban DJ tire. His justification was that the only trail he ever biked was Gooseberry and it gave him amazing traction :) TIFWIW

But as previously mentioned, have a nice knobby front tire with some good grip. Lots of the rides have loose over rock or loose over hardpack that will eat your SB8's for lunch.
  • 01-23-2014
    Hurkinite
    My absolute favorite for the loose and slickrock are the Conti Trail Kings. I like the 2.4s, but they are BIG. Make sure they won't rub your frame in the rear. Amazing traction on the slickrock and they last and last and last. They are kinda spendy but definitely a local favorite around here.
  • 01-23-2014
    shiggy
    Upcoming visit to St George...a few questions
    Quote:

Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    In just over a month, I plan to visit the St George area to get some sunshine and do some mountain biking. Currently, I live in Idaho, and moved here from Nebraska about 5 months ago. The most advanced trails I've ridden were in Sedona, Arizona last year, on my 29er hardtail. I'm pretty convinced that had I not been on my 29er with a half way decent fork, I would have gone over the handlebars several times!

Just looking for some ideas about where to ride that aren't extremely advanced. I will be there for a total of three days. Will be pretty out of shape, because I have not been active AT ALL this Winter. I plan to bring my 29er and my 26er hardtail, or should I just leave the 26er at home? My goal is to have a bunch of fun and not get hurt! :)

Also, what tire tread to use. My 29er has Kenda Small Block 8 tires. Was thinking about getting some tires with better tread for the sand, but I hear a lot of the area in the St George area is really rocky.

Anyway, any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:

Take the 29.

Panaracer CGXC tires work very well in the area.
  • 02-22-2014
    getagrip
    Hey thank you everyone for your responses. I'm heading out tomorrow (Sunday February 23rd). I'm planning to take the long way there and make some stops along the way - through Nevada via Ely and Las Vegas, before heading over to the St George area on Monday.

Quick question: I'm still doing a little research on Ely trail conditions this time of year, which is about 4 hours Northeast of Las Vegas. In the event that I change my route at the last minute and decide to take the route through Utah, are there any areas that are rideable this time of year that are about 4 hours North of St George? Its a 10 hour drive from Boise, and I'd like to stop someplace on the way to ride for an hour or two if I decide to take the Utah route.
  • 02-22-2014
    drboudreaux
    Not really. There is some stuff that is quasi-dry in the Wasatch front area, but it is basically just riding on the benches. If I were you, I wouldn't waste any time dinking around trails on the way - I would just go straight down there and enjoy the trails and the weather. It is a great time of year to be in StG.
  • 02-24-2014
    phsycle
    With the warmer weather we've been having, there is quite a bit less snow on trails than typically present at this time of year. But still wet and muddy, and not worth the trip. Head to St. George and enjoy better weather and better riding.
  • 02-24-2014
    KRob
    Agree. I live in Ely and there are a few things to ride if you know where to look but most of the traditional fun sumner stuff is still buried.

Head south.
  • 02-24-2014
    getagrip
    Hey guys thanks again for the responses. Went through Ely, but decided not to ride because it was a little cold and it seemed like there was snow everywhere, so ended up staying the night in Cedar City and driving to St George today.

Not long after I arrived, I hit the trails for about 3 and a half hours. Ended up getting lost trying to find the trail I wanted to ride (I forget which one now), and ended up at Pioneer Park. At first I thought it was more of a hiking trail, but I did find some fun sections to ride that were more technical that I anticipated, but well within my skill level (it was called Pioneer Hills Trail).

After biking and taking lots of photos, I headed across the highway to Owens Loop. Honestly, I didn't like it that much because it was a bit above my skill level...ended up pushing my bike a lot of the time. It was getting dark, so I had to turn around before finishing. A little freaky because I couldn't figure out how to get back to the highway, but finally found it at about 7pm, so I was glad I turned around when I did!

The ride today really kicked my butt and was hard on both my lungs and back. Any suggestions about where to ride tomorrow, that are a little more smooth and flowy, and not as hard on my back with my 29er hardtail? LOL
  • 02-24-2014
    phsycle
    Lots of good trails shown here. Maybe Bearclaw and Barrel Roll. I'll be hitting up Zen this weekend, if weather cooperates.

St. George Area Mountain Bike Trails
  • 02-25-2014
    billj121
    FYI, Zen is a part of the route for the Desert Rampage race this Friday and Saturday. Pretty big event, so you may have issues on that trail either of those days.
  • 02-25-2014
    phsycle
    Good to know. Thanks for the info. I'm hoping if I hit it in the afternoon it would be ok?
  • 02-25-2014
    billj121
    https://intermountaincup.com/schedul...Desert-Rampage

Looks like the pros start at noon and do 4 laps, so you are probably ok late pm.

Also, looks like it is only saturday, not friday.
  • 02-25-2014
    phsycle
    Thanks. I called Red Rock Bikes. They did say it will be packed with people preriding the course and such all week, and especially on Fri. But looking at the course map, it looks like it doesn't go through Zen. Am I missing something?

The Skid Map
  • 02-25-2014
    billj121
    phsycle,
    You are correct, sorry for the mis-info, my bad.....
    I was thinking of the True Grit course, which is two weeks later, but does have Zen as a part of the route.

Course - TRUE GRIT EPIC
  • 02-25-2014
    phsycle
    It's all good. We're staying right near the trailhead, so I'm glad I'll get to ride. Rain pending...
  • 02-25-2014
    billj121
    Of the trails in the Green Valley area, most of Zen is probably best suited to handle some moisture and still be ok to ride.
  • 02-25-2014
    toycrawler
    Ill be in the area tomorrow, looking to do some riding and not familiar with the area. I will also be riding a 29er HT. If you would like to hook up for a ride pm me.

Aaron
  • 02-25-2014
    getagrip
    Quote:

Originally Posted by toycrawler View Post
    Ill be in the area tomorrow, looking to do some riding and not familiar with the area. I will also be riding a 29er HT. If you would like to hook up for a ride pm me.

Aaron

Thanks for the offer, but I will probably head over to Zion National Park or the Grand Canyon to do some hiking tomorrow. These trails have really beat up my 29er...having some issues with my brakes, so it looks like I may be on foot.
  • 02-26-2014
    phsycle
    Well, not looking great for a ride this weekend. Hopefully it won't dump, (although we really need the rain).

Fri
    Feb 28

Showers
    Chance of rain:
    60%Wind:
    SSE at 9 mph DetailsSat

Sat
    Mar 1

Showers
    Chance of rain:
    60%Wind:
    S at 12 mph DetailsSun