University of Utah MTB Team/Club- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

University of Utah MTB Team/Club

Does anyone know if there is a downhill or freeride race team or club at the University of Utah?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I haven't seen one but would like to join one. Want to start one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That appears to be a road cycling only club which is no good for us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    what we did at uvu was just get the cycling team(which only did road racing) and just became an appendix of their team since it was already set up with usa cycling and already had a history. maybe try doing the same. it'll save you a ton of work and will inevitably grow the cycling team as a whole

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I can't commit to helping organize, but I might be interested in racing. The biggest issue that I see is that the U of U team is a part of the IMCCC (Inter Mountain Collegiate Cycling Conference). If the IMCCC isn't hosing DH races, then having support from the team would be useless

Takin'er easy
    What kind of support are you looking for?

I think most of the road racers and XC racers at the collegiate level are club athletes, meaning they get very little from the University to start with. Like most racers, they are paying their own way most of the time. As with drinking, riding a bike is just more productive when done in larger groups.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I didn't mean to imply the team owed racers anything... At the collegiate level racers are usually expected to pay their own way, which is why entry fees are usually offset to accommodate students' budgets.

I just meant that if you are looking to race DH for the team which is part of the IMCCC and there aren't any IMCCC sponsored DH races (as was the case this year), it would not be worth your membership fee to the team unless you wanted to organize one yourself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was just thinking of pretty much a group of riders all from the U going out and shredding maybe once a week or something and also going to races under the University of Utah team name. Isn't it pretty easy to set up a club at a University(not necessarily school sponsored)? We set up a ski club at our high school(I know it is not the same as the university level) and were able to pick up some local sponsors and things.

Picture Unrelated
    Well it should be fairly straight forward to set up an official club with the U, but getting any kind of sponsorship may be a stretch. As far as a race team, talk to the road team and see if there is some way to set up a spur as was mentioned above.

If you're just looking for a group of riders, then you'll have the best luck meeting people as go-ride gets their Utah DH series running again.

Members who have read this thread: 0