A Unique Wasatch Crest TR- Mtbr.com
    Homer's problem child

A Unique Wasatch Crest TR

Figured with all the whining around here lately about who does what right or wrong it is time for some stoke.

With work and all the other crap that life throws at us it can be hard to find time to ride. This summer I finally got some good lights to give me a way to beat the heat and ride my favorite trails. And riding at night almost guarantees that there will be no user conflicts or right of way issues. Some vegitation was disturbed in this TR as I ate crap on a few corners that snuck up on me and Bullwinkle that we came across (discussed below) definitely took out some anger on the vegitation. Sorry.

Riding at night makes even well memorized trials a new challenge. Mr. Welcorn and I have been hitting many of the lower SLC trails at night, but we were curious to see what the higher trials ride like in the dark, so we hit Crest to Mill D. I donít know if spending a Friday night riding bikes with big lights in the dark makes us dorks or if it makes us cool. I figure it makes us dorks overall but might make us cool in at least the biking community. I can live with that.

We are no photo-ologists or anything so appolgies for the less than steller night shots.

Puke Hill is still a challenge in the dark. Here is what it looks like after topping out in the dark heading towrads the radio towers.

Then after a bit more flatness comes the sweet single track. This section is one of the best in the dark because the brush on the side isnít so tall that it shadows the trail. You can still fly down these sections at night.

Mr. Welcorn out ahead getting his Friday night buzz.

In the middle of the 3 climbs before the spine we came across a big bull moose. It was not happy to see us and really didnít like us shining high powered lights in his face. We rode fast. Here is me cleaning a strange smelly brown substance off my seat that somehow got there when I notice a big pissed moose looking and grunting at us.

Then we got to the spine and played around a little.
    Bort:

Mr. Welcorn:

Then it was onto Mill D and down to the car where a cooler of good times was waiting to cap off the ride.

Always weird getting done with a ride after midnight. And after rides like that Iím so pumped I can never seem to get to sleep.

Iím digging the lights. As soon as daylight savings hits in the fall Iíll be super happy I got them.

Peas out,
    B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

stevelloydphoto.com
    May 2008
    yea! that is sweet. send me a pm next time you go. I would love to do a night ride.

Chumley for prez!
    I think we're dorks (my secret is out)).....the 1st step is admittance. While I think the pictures generally suck (and I took many of them), one thing is apparent, my lights are just not up to snuff compared to those HIDS you have. I literally believe that your bike lights are more powerful than the headlights on my car.
    Anyway that ride was awesome, and I am certainly going to be doing it more often! That trail really takes on a different character at night. Even though I have ridden it more times than i can count, it felt totally new. Not to mention it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. The tall brush on the side of the trail in mill d really screws with you with the lights.
    Great ride Bortis, want to try riding it again some night this week? Anyone else is more than welcome, the more lights the better I think

Team Sanchez
    Good stuff Bortis. Riding the spine at night is impressive. Take a peek at the Turner board for pics of our Brianhead trip from yesterday.
    Last edited by El Chingon; 08-11-2008 at 08:31 AM.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Cool pics!

I've ridden it several times solo after 10p. It gets a bit spooky when you start hearing weird sounds. Strangest time was last Thanksgiving. We started riding early, ~5am and most of the trail was frozen dirt with some patches of snow here and there. 8 degrees F. It's great watching the sun come up on days like that!

mtbr member
    Before I moved to So Utah I would always ride to Puke Hill at sunset, watch the sun go down and then kick the lights on.
    Millcreek is at it's best when you know nobody is going to be hiking up at you.

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by slloyd
    yea! that is sweet. send me a pm next time you go. I would love to do a night ride.
    Fo Sho! I hear you know a thing or 2 about them picture-taking gidgets.

Might be this Friday. I have too much on my plate at work this week to get out mid week.

Definitely a lot harder to rip that trail (or any of the trials we ride a lot for that matter) at night. I have some nice road rash today for sure, as Mr. Welcorn said, the shadows from the tall brush on the side of the trail can really mess with you. I over shot some corners and had some "close encounters of the dirt kind" for sure.

B

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    I just rode that section Tuesday, but right in the middle of the day.

Riding at night puts a whole new perspective on riding - I've raced motorcycles off road at night (Baja 1000 / Baja 2000) and also just play riding in Mexico at night (well not really play riding - it was a really-stupid-and-dangerous-200 mile-point-to-point trip guided by GPS).

Like someone else said, you could ride a trail you've done 500,000 times, but do it at night and it is a whole new trail.

Lights themselves are key - what exactly were you guys using for HIDs? I can certainly see buying some HIDs for my mtb and joining you guys (I'm at Solitude for the summer..so I'm right in the neighborhood)

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto
    Lights themselves are key - what exactly were you guys using for HIDs? I can certainly see buying some HIDs for my mtb and joining you guys (I'm at Solitude for the summer..so I'm right in the neighborhood)
    You said it. I have Light and Motion Halogen Solos. They are not near as bright as Bortis's HIDs, but they get the job done. I think bort has the L&M ARC NiMH. They come up on Chainlove every once and a while. I think 200 bucks a light on chainlove. Mine were 70 a light on chainlove. Are the HIDs 3x as nice as the halogen? Probably, if you've got the cash burning a hole in your pocket. I'd like to do this ride again sometime in the near future for sure.

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    I think bort has the L&M ARC NiMH. They come up on Chainlove every once and a while.
    Yep, I have 2 of the L&M ARC NiMH. Pretty happy with them. Got them on Chainlove for about $200/each.

B

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    very cool.

Jul 2008
    What kind of bikes are you riding?

mtbr member
    I need to get into night riding. Sadly, unless I can get my rear brake and bar fixed from yesterdays Mid Mountain encounter with a tree, I will be out before we get too much snow and the season is over. Broke hayes mag at master cylinder clean off. (Good thing that St George's season last a good bit longer)

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker2911
    What kind of bikes are you riding?
    both on 6" bikes
    I'm riding an IH 6point
    Bortis is riding a ventana el terremoto

Members who have read this thread: 0