A Unique Bobsled Lap- Mtbr.com
    Homer's problem child

A Unique Bobsled Lap

I was bored tonight so I figured I'd charge up the lights and go for a spin. The days are getting shorter and shorter and pretty soon daylight savings kicks in and I'd better be used to night riding because that is going to be the norm until the snow hits and I park my bikes and pick up my splitboard.

I took a spin up Dry Creek then around to Bobsled on the BST. My camera sucks and I was solo so no action shots, sorry in advance.

Top of Dry Creek: Could hear the live music at Red Butte

I saw several of these guys:

I was going to put my shoe in the picture so you could get an idea of how big this thing was, about fist size, but as soon as I put my foot in the picture the spider moved towards me and I screamed and ran like a little girl. Folks in downtown probably heard it. What can I say, I'm afraid of spiders, it took me about 5 years to watch Arachnaphobia, because I'd get freaked out every 10 minutes and turn it off.

Got to the top of Bobsled and took a nice break. Thanks FLBS!

Time to drop in:

I've gotten pretty comfortable on all the stunts on this trail and thought it would be no problem to hit them in the dark since I have pretty good lights.

Onto the step up:

I gave it a run in and didn't think too much of it, went back up and gave it a go. Lesson learned - at night perception of speed is off, what I thought was "fast enough" wasn't. I cased it pretty good and wobbled off the end hit the kicker afterwards half-a$$ed and decided at that point I'd better hold off on most the features tonight since I was solo and already having troubles.

The car gap:

Not tonight,but before the snow hits I want to hit this on a night ride.

And then the last feature, the big drop at the bottom.

I've been hitting this for a while, basically control your speed and roll off it, no big deal, but in the dark as soon as you get up to it and drop it's like a black hole, you don't really see the landing and depth perception is a bit off, I got crazy squirrelly but rode out of it.

Then it was back to the car and home for some PBR's (post biking refreshments).

I'll be riding this a lot again now that it's cooled down. Seems like I go sledding a ton in the spring and fall but don't touch it all summer. Next time I'll bring a partner and get some night action shots. Thanks to all the folks that have been doing work on this trail, it is amazing how much this trail has changed for the better. Not that it ever sucked in the past, but now it is crazy fun.

Cheers,
    B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Nice! I have been wanting to do the same. Is that a black widow?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Those spiders are pretty freaky. I've been riding the BST at night from Bountiful to city creek and I've seen my fair share of those things. There are also birds that sleep on the trail and don't fly away until you almost are on top of them. Night riding is the best I'm amazed more people don't go out and do it. I ride Muellar park all the time at night and I never see anyone (except the poor bikers that are trying to come down and don't realize that it gets dark so early so they are riding in the dark).

Bored Carp
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey BY -
    Thanks for the pics bud! After having see the Bobsled vid, it went on The List of trails to hit for me. How does the Terremoto handle bobsled?

mtbr member
    I can't really tell if this is the same kind of spider as yours, but I saw this one Friday evening near the top of Dry Creek:

IMG_6493s.jpg

Look closely (or not) and you'll see that's a ton of little baby spiders on the abdomen

Awesome for hitting up Bobsled in the dark!

I usually ride this trail 2-3 times in the dark before work, and the birds are still asleep then. I've learned to just hold my line, and about 6 inches before I'm certain I'll run over them, they fly off, usually only to land down the trail another 15 yards and repeat

Homer's problem child
    CZ,
    Yeah, the Moto does just fine on Bobsled. I have mine built up pretty porky though, 66 Light up front, Pushed DHX in back, big tires and wheels - about 36-37 lbs probably. I see people on full-on DH bikes ride Bobsled, but IMHO that is like taking a bazooka to a knife fight. I'm sure it's fun and all, but I prefer to ride my DH bike in a bit rougher stuff. The sled is pretty smooth and all the hits are smooth and don't need a ton of bike. I've hit most of the stuff on my 4" twenty-giner (Sultan).

JS, yeah, that is probably the same kind of spider. That is an awesome shot with the little baby spiders. Freaks me out though. I jst imagine getting close and all the little ones swarming me and running up my legs

As for those birds, yeah, I had one hit me in the chest last night. They can look like rocks and they don't rest in the bushes they rest right in the middle of the trail. Shoreline was fine, I'd make noise and bounce my front wheel about 10 feet away and they'd fly off, usually 10 feet up the trail and I'd have to repeat it. But about 100 feet into Bobsled I snuck up on one and it flew right into my chest. Freaked me out for sure.

I also had this weird stick bug or mantis thing hang out on my front tire while I was kicking it on the FLBS bench. As someone that is generally freaked out by bugs maybe this night riding thing is good therapy? Between the moths flying into your face when you stop, the spiders, and the other creepy crawlers my heart rate stays high the entire ride.

B
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice pics, B....yeah..night riding season is almost here

mtbr member

Spider ID

The first photo is of a Tarantula (Aphonopelma iodius). They are fairly common in the foothills area, and on the Shoreline Trail and Bobsled.

http://nathistoc.bio.uci.edu/spiders...a%20iodius.htm

The second photo of Mom with babies is of a large Wolf Spider (Hogna carolinensis). Not as common as the Tarantula, but faster and more agressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_spider

Both are very cool spiders!

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    thats some short of mantis which I think are some of the coolest bugs around and they eat everything else that can get into those front claws.

tarantula are cool as well, but wolf spider hate me, and are aggresive at me no matter what state I am in

Jul 2008
    DUDE...lame...

new rule: no pictures of spiders on trails I like to ride

I'm going to buy a bubble suit so I can ride bobsled in the dark w/o fear of spiders.

mtbr member
    Ya know, it's not the spiders, bugs, and birds that bother me when I'm night riding. Not even the porcupine that hangs out at the mouth of dry creek. But the kitties....now that's another story. Anybody know if there be cougars in them thar hills?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke
    But the kitties....now that's another story. Anybody know if there be cougars in them thar hills?
    Yep, quite a few actually. Anywhere there's deer or elk around, there are cougars. There's one I've see twice, hanging out right where you top-out "the climb" in the middle of the BST.
    Bortis, seen any mormon crickets on the trails? If you do, roll over them, they pop like plump grapes. heh heh

Apr 2007
    I saw one of those tarantula's crossing the road yesterday up Millcreek Canyon. Never seen one up that way before. The thing was gigantic.

BTW, what kind of lights are you guys using? My biking activities are limited to evening times during the week, and with the lights fading quickly now, I'll probably be left in the dark. I bought a 5-LED light up front, but it's mostly for my road bike for riding in the evenings. It gives enough light for low-light situations (and to let motorists know I'm there), but I doubt it will be enough for a mtn bike trail.

Jul 2008
    what kind of bike are you riding there. I rode the bobsled this summer. I got bitten by some weird spider. My hand swelled up and itched like crazy.

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker2911
    what kind of bike are you riding there.
    Ventana Terremoto. Bit heavy for long rides but great for techy rides with stunts that you still have to climb to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    BTW, what kind of lights are you guys using?
    I have 2 Light and Motion ARC NiMH lights, one on my head, one on the bars. Not the best lights out there in terms of burn time and what not but Chainlove.com was selling them half price a while back and at that price they are hard to beat. Super bright and so far I like them.

https://www.bikelights.com/Products/Arc.htm

I also saw one of the tarantula's at about 6 pm the other night. Is it normal to see them in the day? This is the first time I've seen one walking around before dark.

B
    Last edited by Bortis Yelltzen; 09-23-2008 at 08:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've been running 3 dinotte 200L's, 1 on the helmet and 2 on the bar. These are pretty sweet lights and seem to work great.

mtbr member
    I have two dinotte 200L's, one on the bar and one on the helmet. Seems to work great but I'm intrigued by ssuperlight's setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    yeah it is a little more light having two lights on the bar, but you still have plenty of light with just one light on the bar. The 200L lights are great I've really been impressed by mine.

Jul 2008
    I never know what kind of bike for the bobsled and i street. When I was there this summer, I rode my dj bike. Bottomed out a bunch. I saw guys riding dirtbags and sx trails on bobsled. Seems like they would be too heavy. Trying to decide what bike to get when I go to college out there. I ride aggressive AM (with some climbing) and some small FR and DH. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Hey B,

Nice stoke there. Definitely kind of interesting to see what's lurking in the night

And the shot with the baby spiders was CrAzY. Nice

Members who have read this thread: 0