Uintas the other northern Utah Mountain Range- Mtbr.com
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006

Uintas the other northern Utah Mountain Range

Me,sfotex,springproject, and spicythiasausuge road up in woodland today.

we rode Bench Creek, Camp Hollow, to little south fork trail in the uintas. 17 miles total. felt wAAAAY longer. I will have a GPS map and elevation profile soon.

Some of the shots I got from today.

One of the mant creek crossing on the way up.

Springproject allways has takes the hard way.

tight twisty and rough awesome riding

Slickrock in a pine forest you betch ya!!! mike showing us how to roll the steeps

Sfotex in the couple mile log mountain top meadow full of giant wildflowers

Spicythaisausage having fun on the rocks

In cinnabun we trust

springproject eating a cinnabun as he rides

a monkey named mike got the only picture of me today

We went down this for quite a ways

Fast,loose and narrow super fun.

some videos

Me on some loggy part of the trail 3 in a row pretty small

springsproject on what was impossiable for all but him rock garden, trust me MUCH harder in person

great riding with you guys today so psyched to get back out there.

To those reading. Anyone would love this trail, if you dont want to pedal it either side could be easily shuttled from the top. A freeride bike would be tons of fun to rip down bench creek but I am posting these pictures, videos and GPS file because Camp Hollow, and Little South Fork could use alot more riding traffic, to stop them from being grown in. Not to mention this some really fun techincal riding that goes up and down. Just dont rip out the logs except for the ones that are chest high and right in row.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sweet pics -

One of my regular loops from the house...

Now that you've ridden Bench Creek - you need to continue climbing to the top of South Fork for a 5ish hr ride. Instead of dropping Campbell Hollow (or is it Camp Hollow, always get those 2 mixed up...) just bang a left up the Forest Service Road for a nice 45 min or so FS road climb to the upper section of South Fork singletrack. Hands down one of the Uinta crown jewels.

And, if you know where to look there are some wicked stretches of singletrack out there to create some mighty fine 7+ hr loops.

-d

over researcher
    The pictures look great. I'm going to have to take a drive out there some time.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta825
    Sweet pics -

One of my regular loops from the house...

Now that you've ridden Bench Creek - you need to continue climbing to the top of South Fork for a 5ish hr ride. Instead of dropping Campbell Hollow (or is it Camp Hollow, always get those 2 mixed up...) just bang a left up the Forest Service Road for a nice 45 min or so FS road climb to the upper section of South Fork singletrack. Hands down one of the Uinta crown jewels.

And, if you know where to look there are some wicked stretches of singletrack out there to create some mighty fine 7+ hr loops.

-d
    are you talking about the forest service road at the top of this ride? right after the aspen meadow on top of the mountain? or the road further down after you drop down the south fork drainage?

mtbr member
    Any chance of posting directions for those of us without GPS?
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    yup - it's the road at the top of the upper meadow, just bang the left and look for the trailhead after 45 minutes or so on your left.

Check out Greg Bromka's guide book for the Uinta's for directions

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    yup - it's the road at the top of the upper meadow, just bang the left and look for the trailhead after 45 minutes or so on your left.

we came from the southern side of that road is it still to the left?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Just to see if i understand the trail layout in the area, you are talking about riding the upper part of the little south fork trail, but it eventually connects to the camp hollow trail, about half way down...right?

seems I did something like that YEARS ago (actually road up the ugly dirt road and descended to LSF trail) but ever since, have just stuck to the Bench Creek / camp hollow / Little south fork loop....as the OP said, even that is hardly seeing enough traffic to keep it clean.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Nice work bushwacker...good to see you found it all okay. There is a bunch of other stuff in that area that is really amazing. The upper part of Little South Fork is really good. The lower part of little south fork is pretty hammered by horses this year. More than i have ever seen it.

One way to avoid the lower section is to do the big loop. Park at the bottom of bench creek, ride up UT 35 to mill hollow road, go up the mill hollow road (nice climb on a washboarded and dusty dirt road) to campbell hollow (different than camp hollow) road on your right at the split. Climb the nice campbell hollow doubletrack to duschesne ridge then drop down the upper part of little south fork, go up camp hollow, then down bench creek.

Yes, there is a bunch of road at the beginning, but at least it is at the beginning and it is a nice warmup. Then once you hit LSF it is all singletrack.

Or you could do the big lollipop. Up bench, acrros the ridge, down Upper LSF, up Camp Hollow, back down bench.

Lots of other ST and great camping off of duchesne ridge.

Aug 2008
    great trail we need more people to ride, so it's not so over grown!!! I like riding from the top of lsf,start at mill hollow, the upper section is fast with a few natural kickers! when your done with that and if you still like uinta riding, stop by uintabikes in kamas, and ask where the trail is that swazimoto lost his shoe's!!!!(lol)

mtbr member
    This gets me excited to be moving back up to Park City and my home valley around Kamas. I didnt ride enough last time I lived there. I will be bringing my new Trek Fuel EX 9....seems like it will be a good bike for that area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uinta
    Nice work bushwacker...good to see you found it all okay. There is a bunch of other stuff in that area that is really amazing. The upper part of Little South Fork is really good. The lower part of little south fork is pretty hammered by horses this year. More than i have ever seen it.

One way to avoid the lower section is to do the big loop. Park at the bottom of bench creek, ride up UT 35 to mill hollow road, go up the mill hollow road (nice climb on a washboarded and dusty dirt road) to campbell hollow (different than camp hollow) road on your right at the split. Climb the nice campbell hollow doubletrack to duschesne ridge then drop down the upper part of little south fork, go up camp hollow, then down bench creek.

Yes, there is a bunch of road at the beginning, but at least it is at the beginning and it is a nice warmup. Then once you hit LSF it is all singletrack.

Or you could do the big lollipop. Up bench, acrros the ridge, down Upper LSF, up Camp Hollow, back down bench.

Lots of other ST and great camping off of duchesne ridge.
    So its all adding up....and it sounds like people are riding that upper part of the LSF. Is it signed off the road on the ridge? Just been so long since I was up there, not sure I would remember it. Starts out over a berm? About how far up from the top of the Camp Hollow trail do you think it is? I like the lollipop idea....I have bad memories of the mill hollow road, long, hot, washboard, dusty...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    So its all adding up....and it sounds like people are riding that upper part of the LSF. Is it signed off the road on the ridge? Just been so long since I was up there, not sure I would remember it. Starts out over a berm? About how far up from the top of the Camp Hollow trail do you think it is? I like the lollipop idea....I have bad memories of the mill hollow road, long, hot, washboard, dusty...
    its about 3 miles or so from the top of camp hollow on the road to the top of lsf. there is a small wood sign at the top that you kinda have to keep your eye out for. yes, starts out over a berm.

going up camp hollow is a pretty stiff climb, but it is a nice singletrack and not a washboard road (like mill hollow).

stop by if you want a map, i have some free topos of the area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    its about 3 miles or so from the top of camp hollow on the road to the top of lsf. there is a small wood sign at the top that you kinda have to keep your eye out for. yes, starts out over a berm.

going up camp hollow is a pretty stiff climb, but it is a nice singletrack and not a washboard road (like mill hollow).

stop by if you want a map, i have some free topos of the area.
    hey thanks. can i pry for more local knowledge? a few years ago, near the top of the bench creek trail, it used to go straight up to the big dirt road, and there was the big private property sign....then maybe 2 summers ago ( or was it last summer? ) the trail was re-routed up and to the left to avoid the top meadows (where the obnoxious and greedy are now building homes). The new trail sort of cut the corner between bench creek and camp hollow. Just curious if you knew how that trail building happened...seems like (from the extremely sharp switchbacks and general "straight up" nature of the new trail) that it was the horse folks...but just wondering if you knew anything about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    hey thanks. can i pry for more local knowledge? a few years ago, near the top of the bench creek trail, it used to go straight up to the big dirt road, and there was the big private property sign....then maybe 2 summers ago ( or was it last summer? ) the trail was re-routed up and to the left to avoid the top meadows (where the obnoxious and greedy are now building homes). The new trail sort of cut the corner between bench creek and camp hollow. Just curious if you knew how that trail building happened...seems like (from the extremely sharp switchbacks and general "straight up" nature of the new trail) that it was the horse folks...but just wondering if you knew anything about it.
    from what i understand, it was the forest service that built the overly-steep re-route. around here that generally means, yes, horsepeople (at least it used to, things are slowly changing).

i believe the the fs has regulations on how steep trails can be and many believe that this steep re-route was yet another attempt to deter bikers from the trail.

it has been more like 3 years I think since that has been built. there is a very old school trail building/maintaining mentality out here (ie. they still "fix" trails with waterbars).

despite the steep switchbacks, i actually think the re-route is a lot better than going up the end of the canyon to the big meadow. if you recall that trail sort of petered out as you got to the head of the canyon and then there was some road time....

you can still access that road at the top of camp hollow if you want to get over to upper little south fork or anywhere on duschesne ridge.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    from what i understand, it was the forest service that built the overly-steep re-route. around here that generally means, yes, horsepeople (at least it used to, things are slowly changing).

i believe the the fs has regulations on how steep trails can be and many believe that this steep re-route was yet another attempt to deter bikers from the trail.

it has been more like 3 years I think since that has been built. there is a very old school trail building/maintaining mentality out here (ie. they still "fix" trails with waterbars).

despite the steep switchbacks, i actually think the re-route is a lot better than going up the end of the canyon to the big meadow. if you recall that trail sort of petered out as you got to the head of the canyon and then there was some road time....

you can still access that road at the top of camp hollow if you want to get over to upper little south fork or anywhere on duschesne ridge.
    you're right - the re-route IS better. Once the construction started up there, the trail definitely got all confused. (and went through the swampy stuff too as I remember it) I guess its been longer than I remember! Don't make it out there that much ... the extra drive from SLC makes it hard to motivate.

thanks again for all the info

Natty Dread
    What about connecting North Fork Provo, Lakes Country and Shingle Creek for a big loop? Was out at Lakes Country from Crystal Lake this past Sunday and was curious what the trail is like down or up from Long Lake to the North Fork Provo trail head on the Mirror Lake Hwy. The only descriptions I can find are for the first two miles. Great chunky trails out there.

Members who have read this thread: 0