TWE Status- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: TWE Status

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,414

    TWE Status

    With the lack of snow this year how much of TWE could be open 1st week of May?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    586

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,414
    Perfect. I'll never have to ask again.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: piersurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    75
    That's awesome, thanks for the link! I'm going to be riding it next Friday the 13th, really hoping that UPS is open by then.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,924
    Have a look at Zinger-UK's thread in Passion. Still lots of snow on Kokopelli although that was 10 days or so ago.

  6. #6
    The Riddler
    Reputation: Kaparzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    993
    https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reportG...ue,SNWD::delta

    this site is just a little above warner lake/start of hazard county. currently 21" and losing ~1"/day. one site lower (8500') reports 2". that elevation lost ~12" in 7 days.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    301
    work won't let me on the poison spider website...

    Headed down to ride Thursday... Looks like Hazard will still be a few hot days out from being good, but what about Kokopelli?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,939
    The site UtahJohn posted is great, but they don't update very often (still showing conditions as of 10 days ago). If you have questions as to daily conditions, calling any of the shuttle services will get you the answers you need. I called last week (a different service), and they said they were shuttling to Jimmy Keen, which I think is just below Kokopelli.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: piersurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    75
    I rode it on Friday, they dropped us off at Kokopelli. It was cold as balls but awesome. Once we were on UPS things warmed up.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by piersurf View Post
    I rode it on Friday, they dropped us off at Kokopelli. It was cold as balls but awesome. Once we were on UPS things warmed up.
    Was there any snow up at kokopelli?

    Out here now, but family. Back to ride it in 2 weeks. Certainly doesn't look like much snow up top.

    If the trail between Kokopelli and hazard county is clear, but they are not shuttling (seems like a pretty set date to start in June), is it worth the hoof up to ride it if clear?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,939
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Was there any snow up at kokopelli?

    Out here now, but family. Back to ride it in 2 weeks. Certainly doesn't look like much snow up top.

    If the trail between Kokopelli and hazard county is clear, but they are not shuttling (seems like a pretty set date to start in June), is it worth the hoof up to ride it if clear?
    You want to hike-a-bike from Kokopelli up to Hazard?
    No.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    If the trail between Kokopelli and hazard county is clear, but they are not shuttling
    They will always shuttle if the trails are rideable.

    If they aren't shuttling, there's a very good reason. A lot of the time the trail might LOOK clear; but the trail is a mud bog. Because of the soil in and around Moab, riding on soft muddy trails can cause ruts and damage that can last months, and is almost impossible to rake out.

    So - if they aren't shuttling - please don't ride.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    You want to hike-a-bike from Kokopelli up to Hazard?
    No.
    We usually hit Moab in April so its never been open past Kokopelli and not familiar with the terrain. With the low snow year I was wondering if it was doable even if they were not shuttling. Thanks for the info.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    They will always shuttle if the trails are rideable.

    If they aren't shuttling, there's a very good reason. A lot of the time the trail might LOOK clear; but the trail is a mud bog. Because of the soil in and around Moab, riding on soft muddy trails can cause ruts and damage that can last months, and is almost impossible to rake out.

    So - if they aren't shuttling - please don't ride.
    Thanks!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    35
    Any update ? The original link is showing 45 degrees in Moab today.... when in fact its closer to 85. Thanks

  16. #16
    Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Reputation: SAM313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    311
    Warner Lake Rd. / Hazard was still closed last week and they were shuttling to the top of Kokopelli. 85 in town still equates to about 65 in the mountains so the snow doesn't melt as fast and even then there’s a ton of mud so they will let that dry before letting vehicle traffic in. I’d guess another couple weeks unless we get more snow.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    35
    Thanks SAM

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    Warner Lake Rd. / Hazard was still closed last week and they were shuttling to the top of Kokopelli. 85 in town still equates to about 65 in the mountains so the snow doesn't melt as fast and even then there’s a ton of mud so they will let that dry before letting vehicle traffic in. I’d guess another couple weeks unless we get more snow.
    Just rode it on Friday and we were dropped at Kokopelli. There is no snow higher up, but deal with Forest service prevents any higher elevation riding prior to 6/1 and 7/1.

    I wore a thin wind shirt to start , but quickly took it off halfway into Jimmy Keen which I recommend over the Kokopelli double track start an it adds a few miles you miss from the lower start.

    I had forgetting what a beating the middle section gives your body, Those constant rock gardens get a bit old, but porcupine always makes up for it.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    24
    Saw a couple of people on Strava have tried to ride it from the top and spent at least an hour getting from the saddle to burro bottom. Someone took 2:15 to “ride” what usually takes ~ 10 mins!

  20. #20
    trail gnome
    Reputation: ray.vermette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    643
    Hazard county is open. We shuttled there Friday. No mud.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2013, 06:34 PM
  2. TWE Enduro results?
    By nhodge in forum Utah
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 08:07 AM
  3. Twe
    By nhodge in forum Enduro Racing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-09-2012, 05:12 PM
  4. Moab, TWE -- pass the popcorn
    By Evil Patrick in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 08:24 PM
  5. TWE second week in Oct.
    By neverwalk in forum Utah
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 04:42 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.