Trip time!!!! Sun Valley, ID or Crested utte, CO?- Mtbr.com
    Singletrack Addict!!!

Trip time!!!! Sun Valley, ID or Crested utte, CO?

Setting up a vacation from Jul 11 to 22. We'll stay 4 or 5 days in Park City, then head off to whichever destination above. We'll rent a vacation house in both destinations and rent cars. Anyone have visited both and care to compare?

I ride my Mojo HD in 150F/140R here @ home and change to 160mm when traveling (Downieville, Tahoe, Oregon BC), but will I need to when riding in the above destinations and carry one more pound around? From what I've read, trails are pretty buffed..

Any other traveling/destination suggestions?

Will high trails in Crested Butte be rideable by that date?

What are the must ride trails up there in 5 days time?
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

Your Best Friend
    I spent 7 days in Sun Valley last summer. It was great enough that I'll go back asap. Keep in mind though that they had a major fire during the later part of last summer. The Wood River Bicycle Coalition have been working their asses off trying to rebuild and I would give them the benefit of the doubt but it's likely that the pristine image and views have changed drastically. I wouldn't recommend a bigger travel bike in Sun Valley.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    I've ridden extensively in both locations.
    I'd choose CB over Sun Valley.
    Both are excellent XC riding destinations.
    I prefer the terrain, views, and trail type in and around CB.
    You really can't go wrong with either choice, but between the two, CB gets my vote.
    To really enjoy CB, you need to be comfortable and happy about climbing at high elevation.
    Shorter travel bike is fine and preferred for both.
    Just google the greatest trail hits of both locales and make up your mind.
    5 days is easily enough to hit the "best of" in either location.
    Mid/late July is prime time for CB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I agree with what has been recommended above. On your next venture come check out McCall ID. Not saying it's better but it's worth a visit for sure.

mtbr member
    They're both nice. Can't go wrong with either. If it comes down to a coin toss, Sun Valley is a little over two hours closer to PC than the butte.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    They're both nice. Can't go wrong with either. If it comes down to a coin toss, Sun Valley is a little over two hours closer to PC than the butte.
    This.....I haven't ridden much in Sun Valley. Lived in Stanley for a summer and rode Fisher Creek quite a bit. Park City has great riding also(lived in and around SLC for 10 years).

That being said I live in Colorado now and go to CB every year....it is one of the most amazing places to ride anywhere. I would either do the Park City/Sun Valley or skip Park City and do Durango/Crested Butte.

Not sure where you are traveling from, but either of these trips would limit travel time in the car and maximize ride time.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Crap... more choices.... thanks for the comments. Will Durango and/or Grand Junction be too warm?

Any AM'ish riding in near CB?? How's riding in Gunnison?

Is the Whole Enchilada doable, heat wise, at that time of year?
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden View Post
    Crap... more choices.... thanks for the comments. Will Durango and/or Grand Junction be too warm?

Any AM'ish riding in near CB?? How's riding in Gunnison?

Is the Whole Enchilada doable, heat wise, at that time of year?
    Durango can be warm in July, but overall it is fine....plus you can just go up into the high country rides. There is a life time of riding in Durango and a lifetime of riding in CB. All mountain riding in CB would be at the resort (not my thing, but I hear it is pretty good). Gunnison has hartman rocks which is desert mixed with large granite rock formations. Also close is Salida and the Monarch Crest trail and associated variations.

Grand Junction and Moab will be hot, still possible to ride, but not recommended.

I also really enjoy the riding in Breckenridge....one of my favorite places to ride anywhere. Not sure this is helping There are a lot of good options out there, but CB has to be one of the best, it is so beautiful there.

Durango:
    Front Range MTB: Durango....

CB:
    Front Range MTB: Crested Butte

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I also love the riding in both places. You could ride Fruita/GJ on the way to/from crested butte (makes a nice stop-over) ... but as others have said, could be pretty warm there, depending on weather. ( Although Fruita tends to be a bit cooler than Moab in my experience )

The fire from last year in SV is definitely a consideration too ... I would wait and see what the trail reports are like as it gets closer.

My take on the two towns:

Crested Butte: Where hippies are grown for exporting around the world.
    Sun Valley: A bit more Bruce Willis and Demi Moore of a feel around town...the locals live in Hailey.

It's a slugfest!

CB or bust!!!

MMMMmmmm.... Crested Butte! Idaho has some great riding as well, but hard to compete with the Butte! Here's a few clips from our last CB trip!

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/75095164" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/75095164">Crested Butte</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/brycegurr">Bryce Gurr</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    Last edited by Silver_Slug; 05-15-2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: fix embed
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

mtbr member
    CB for sure. Spent a week in SV last September after the fires. A lot of the best trails are done for a while. One local who is involved in the local trail maintenance org said it could be years before some of the trails open again.The town has gotten a bit stuffy too. Not the quaint SV of old. Not sure I would go back again.
    :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Never been to SV but it's on the list.

CB is awesome! We did a trip last year and stayed there 3 days with a local and got some great riding in. Doctor's Park was the highlight for me as far as backcountry combined with high speed thrills. 401 was a mind blowing backcountry experience. The DH park was very fun. Definitely worth a day of riding on there. Gunnison is not too far away from CB and it (Hartman Rocks) has more AM riding than CB does. We really liked that spot a lot and road it twice.

We missed Durango last year due to the flood rains but my buddy has been and says it's more technical than most of the CO riding we've done.

Steamboat is also another great option. We stayed there for 3 days last year and had great rides. The DH park is pretty amazing. The runs go forever.

I'd avoid the desert in the middle of the summer. Way too hot.

Cheers!
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Never been to SV but it's on the list.

CB is awesome! We did a trip last year and stayed there 3 days with a local and got some great riding in. Doctor's Park was the highlight for me as far as backcountry combined with high speed thrills. 401 was a mind blowing backcountry experience. The DH park was very fun. Definitely worth a day of riding on there. Gunnison is not too far away from CB and it (Hartman Rocks) has more AM riding than CB does. We really liked that spot a lot and road it twice.

We missed Durango last year due to the flood rains but my buddy has been and says it's more technical than most of the CO riding we've done.

Steamboat is also another great option. We stayed there for 3 days last year and had great rides. The DH park is pretty amazing. The runs go forever.

I'd avoid the desert in the middle of the summer. Way too hot.

Cheers!
    No offense, but none of those CB trails you mention are anywhere close to the backcountry experience of the riding in the White Clouds near Stanley, ID. I think of SV and Stanley as the same area, similar to Gunnison and CB.

mtbr member
    Just

mtbr member
    Just go to Bend.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Well, trip is being delayed to early/mid September. I sustained a shoulder injury 2 weeks ago, one of the other guys had another complication, so it's better to play it safe and not risk wasting the trip. Thanks to all that have contributed!

Will September be ok weather wise? Will trails be in good shape?

Your Best Friend
    September is usually the best month to ride in North America.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah