Trip Report Ben Lomand Backside Northfork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Trip Report Ben Lomand Backside Northfork

Went up the Backside of Ben Lomand yesterday via Northfork. After the trail maintenance, I thought it would be good to try the trail. Man did they clean up the trail sinc my hike up it about 2 months ago.

There is a section of the trail. that they have taken a a bulldozer to. It appears that they are making more room for campsite, but I'm not sure. But the trail has been cleared through most ot the trail of brush on each side of the trail.

There are some areas where I had to get off and walk as the trail has now become a section of tree roots. But, it was a great ride. Beautiful views. Take atvantage if you have the chance.

Before it was barely passable hiking. I would not have biked it because of the plant growth on both sides of the trail. But they have cleared moost of the areas where it was significantly overgrown.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gingus
    Went up the Backside of Ben Lomand yesterday via Northfork. After the trail maintenance, I thought it would be good to try the trail. Man did they clean up the trail sinc my hike up it about 2 months ago.

There is a section of the trail. that they have taken a a bulldozer to. It appears that they are making more room for campsite, but I'm not sure. But the trail has been cleared through most ot the trail of brush on each side of the trail.

There are some areas where I had to get off and walk as the trail has now become a section of tree roots. But, it was a great ride. Beautiful views. Take atvantage if you have the chance.

Before it was barely passable hiking. I would not have biked it because of the plant growth on both sides of the trail. But they have cleared moost of the areas where it was significantly overgrown.
    Just to be clear - they cleared/worked on the trail all the way up to where it joins the ben lomond trail? ( or at least the junction with that other trail that goes north ... ) sorry, i don't remember the details. I usually ride from N. ogden pass and down N. fork. Used to be pretty rough, but mostly rideable, some root issues certainly. Need to do the epic Lewis Peak-Ben Lomond round trip this fall, would be psyched if that n. fork trail was in better shape than the past!

Teaser/stoke photos:

decending Lewis peak towards n. ogden pass:

super cool traverse near the top of ben lomond:
    Last edited by slcpunk; 08-25-2010 at 12:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yes. They cleared it up to the saddle where you can take Ben Lomand, Willard Peak, or North Ogden Pass. I got some pics. I will post them later.

BTW. I was going to ride down the trail that goes to the North Shoreline Trail, and then go over to the South Skyline trail, but I was unsure how the North Skyline trail was. So, how is that section of the trail. I heard the 1st part of it close to the N. Ogden divide is pretty steep.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yes. They cleared it up to the saddle where you can take Ben Lomand, Willard Peak, or North Ogden Pass. I got some pics. I will post them later.

BTW. I was going to ride down the trail that goes to the North Shoreline Trail, and then go over to the South Skyline trail, but I was unsure how the North Skyline trail was. So, how is that section of the trail. I heard the 1st part of it close to the N. Ogden divide is pretty steep.
    i;ve never ridden up from n. ogden pass towards lewis peak ( headed south ) only ridden down ... seems pretty steep and loose ... but doable if you're into that sort of thing. i'll be curious to hear what you think if you do it. the pic i gave is up high where the trail is much better. just like you heard, its steep down low towards the pass.

the decent from ben lomand to the pass is awesome...so that might make up for the suffering.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Anyone ever ridden both the southern and northern skyline trails in one day? I am considering this next weekend and want to get some feedback. I am planning on stashing water on the divide so I can re-fuel. I will be riding from south to north and will not be riding the return loop on the road. Any feedback you can provide will be great. I have ridden northern a few times however have never been on the southern end of this trail...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

From N.O. Divide Going South

My brother, wife and I rode from the divide south about a month ago and I will never do it again. I think I'm an aright climber and usually don't mind a long climb. I rode maybe 25% of the first 2.5 miles. It's just a touch too steep and loose to be fun.

It took us just under two hours to go from the top of the divide to windsurfer beach. It took a full hour to push our bikes up to the Lewis peak fork. From the fork everything is ridable.

If I was going to do a round trip I would not ride southern skyline on the way back. from the top of N.O. divide I would drop down on the dirt trail into liberty and then ride the road to the North arm trail. and ride the north arm back to windsurfer. I've done it that way and enjoyed it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jon.moab
    Anyone ever ridden both the southern and northern skyline trails in one day? I am considering this next weekend and want to get some feedback. I am planning on stashing water on the divide so I can re-fuel. I will be riding from south to north and will not be riding the return loop on the road. Any feedback you can provide will be great. I have ridden northern a few times however have never been on the southern end of this trail...
    Yup, that's exactly how i';ve ridden it. Its definitely not a cruise, but its a super satisfying loop. I usually do it ( including the road ) with a 3L camelback + a water bottle. I think its about 36 miles or so, but its a hard 36. ( have to be 5K+ climbing? ) I could guess a time, but since I don't remember and everyone rides different speeds, its not worth it.

The southern end is actually better maintained in my opinion, and the hurt really starts as you climb north from the pass towards Ben Lomond.

Skipping both peaks is probably not a bad idea, unless you feel real strong. Lewis is really out of the way, and adds to the ride considerably. ( 36 miles = not going to the actual peak ) Ben Lomond is a hike a bike anyway, and if you're smart, just a hike, since you can't really ride off the summit...at least not me, from what i remember.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    so what's better:
    1. Southern Skyline trail starting near the dam and riding to Lewis Peak, and then back down to dam, or
    2. Northern Skyline trail starting at North Ogden Divide and riding to where it gets super steep by Ben Lomond Peak, and then back down to NO Divide?
    3. Maples Trails (Green Pond, Wheeler, etc.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by afraid
    so what's better:
    1. Southern Skyline trail starting near the dam and riding to Lewis Peak, and then back down to dam, or
    2. Northern Skyline trail starting at North Ogden Divide and riding to where it gets super steep by Ben Lomond Peak, and then back down to NO Divide?
    That's a tough one. The Maples area is such a different trail from the Skylines. If you've never been up the Northern Skyline, I would ride that. You can ride to the saddle, stash your bikes and hike to the peak... Maples on the other hand is an all-around fun trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Maples is more of an up and down ride while the skylines are up, up, up and up some more. But they are fun as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the heads up on the trail clearing from north fork to the ben lomand saddle. I've ridden it three times in the last week and I can't think of more satisfying trail that I've been on all year. Last evening it was so beautiful that I couldn't turn around when i should have and ended up going down in the dark but it was worth it. On the way up I watched a bull moose across the first meadow opening and the leafs were starting to really turn. That trail is an alpine paradise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by afraid
    so what's better:
    They'll all good but I would say the northern skyline is the most epic. If you have the time don't stop at the saddle before steep accent up Ben Lomand. It looks steeper than it is, a decent biker can ride all but about 300 ft or so. Its a lot better riding down than hiking down. The view up top is awesome. Again if you have the time don't stop at Ben Lomand, Keep heading north and ride the along the ridge toward Willard Peak. You are almost guaranteed to see mountain goats and the cliffs and canyons below are breathtaking. When you get to Willard Peak you won't care about time anymore and you can drop down into the alpine hill sides below the peak. You'll come past a beautiful mountain lake and fields of flowers everywhere (in season). After about 3 miles from Ben Lomand you'll hit a graded road, go right (east) and continue to enjoy the scenery of Willard Basin. You'll climb the road for a short while and when it tops out (at the Willard Basin sign), you can either continue on the road which leads to Mantua or you can head north on an old road that has been blocked to motor vehicles. Continue on this old double track as goes north along below the ridge line. You'll come to a memorial stone where the trail splits, take the lower of the two trails and you'll be on the Perry Canyon Grizzly Peak trail. From here the fastest way is down, i think about 9 miles of down hill switch back single track that weaves across open hill sides and through north face foilage. Before you know it you'll be at the mouth of Perry Canyon and you'll probably want to call someone to tell them about it and that you could use a lift.
    Last edited by ateam; 09-16-2010 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ateam
    Thanks for the heads up on the trail clearing from north fork to the ben lomand saddle. I've ridden it three times in the last week and I can't think of more satisfying trail that I've been on all year. Last evening it was so beautiful that I couldn't turn around when i should have and ended up going down in the dark but it was worth it. On the way up I watched a bull moose across the first meadow opening and the leafs were starting to really turn. That trail is an alpine paradise.
    It is a nice trail. One great ride. Did you by chance see any other mountain bike park in the nort fork area. Some guys were telling me about it and haven't been able to find it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Keep heading north and ride the along the ridge toward Willard Peak. After about 3 miles from Ben Lomand you'll hit a graded road, go left (east) and continue to enjoy the scenery of Willard Basin.
    Do you have a gps track or map of those trails roads? Your description is confusing..if heading north, and then taking a left...i would expect that to be WEST, not EAST...

but I've heard about that route, and am curious to know more!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    Do you have a gps track or map of those trails roads? Your description is confusing..if heading north, and then taking a left...i would expect that to be WEST, not EAST...

but I've heard about that route, and am curious to know more!
    Sorry, I edited it, you're correct you would take a right to go east. I don't have a gps but if I come across any maps I'll post some links.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    It is a nice trail. One great ride. Did you by chance see any other mountain bike park in the nort fork area. Some guys were telling me about it and haven't been able to find it.
    No I haven't but I have also heard about it. I took a drive through the park over to cutler flat to see if I could find it but nothing stood out. I read something somewhere about the new trail from the park gate at the south end but I couldn't find anything but dirt roads to camp sites. The bicentennial trail (weber county pathways website) is a fun trail that loops up and around the cutler flat camp area but it is a little short.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    No I haven't but I have also heard about it. I took a drive through the park over to cutler flat to see if I could find it but nothing stood out. I read something somewhere about the new trail from the park gate at the south end but I couldn't find anything but dirt roads to camp sites. The bicentennial trail (weber county pathways website) is a fun trail that loops up and around the cutler flat camp area but it is a little short.
    They did mention something about cutler flats and that it had wide berms to practice switchbacks so you can go down them faster. They also said that a loop would be about 6 - 7 miles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    They did mention something about cutler flats and that it had wide berms to practice switchbacks so you can go down them faster. They also said that a loop would be about 6 - 7 miles.
    Here is a link to a map that must be the new trail. It's suppose to be about 5.5 miles but if you connected to the bicentinual trail it would make a fun loop. I'm going to have to see if I can get this checked out.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UM...pic.php?t=8248

Members who have read this thread: 1