Trip planned to ride lift access trails in Utah, recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    3xv
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Trip planned to ride lift access trails in Utah, recommendations?

Planned itinerary June 9-15: 2 days (wed and thurs) worth of driving coming from Houston, Tx. and arriving at home base in southern Utah. Plan is to ride three lift access trails in three days (fri, sat, sun). Sundance and park city seems to be the go-to places, any other recommendations to look into?

Not looking for hardcore DH black diamond runs, just good DH flowing trails with not much pedaling hehehe . Riding 6in. travel AM bikes if that helps in assisting with recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Snowbasin if it's open then, would be fun.

Bored Carp
    I would plan to skip the lift access in Utah. It isn't very good here and might not even be open, depending upon how fast the snow melts. Sundance barely descends, and the lift is epically slow. Pedaling is a way of life there. DV is historically poorly maintained, and I doubt there are many people on this board that would describe the trails there as flowy.
    The bonus at both spots is that there are no reasonable places to have lunch without leaving the resorts.

The best Utah big-bike trails are backcountry truck shuttles or require pedaling.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Ride and Smile

Utah Lifts need help

Agree with Chucky about quality of lifts in Utah not being the best. But if you are in Park City and plan to ride lifts, Deer Valley is the best. Canyons could be epic but its not. PCMR isn't special. DV, while not flowy (or even close do current standards, great) is fun. You can do laps in lower DV using the Silver Lake bus.
    If you are near Brian Head, you might check it out. If you are over by moab, Hazzard could be open and you can ride Hazzard, UPS, LPS, Porcupine and that is one of Utah's premiere rides.
    I need to check out Snow Basin, cause it sounds fun.

mtbr member

Pow Mtn?

Anyone have first-hand knowledge of the Summer riding / lift situation at Powder Mountain?

Never ridden there myself, but I've heard different reports.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Pow Mow is good if you like steep rocky doubletrack. There was a singletrack built several years ago for some races that were held there, but IMO it wasn't great, and I don't think much maintenance has been done on it. As far as I know, there is no summer lift service there.
    Snowbasin has a great trail network for lift served as well as xc, but early June may be too early for it to be dry enough. Wolf Creek has lift served MTBing, I've never ridden there, but hear that the trails are oriented to freeride and downhill.

3xv
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    boardguru-Thanks for the info.. I looked at the snowbasin information online, and my brothers and I decided that this would be part of trails to be ridden.

We might ride slickrock on Fri. (meeting one of our bro. driving down from south Utah) before heading up to home base for the weekend.

Sat. will be Snowbasin, and Sun. still up in the air.

Any more recommendations are welcome. Thanks for the advice guys

mtbr member
    Isn't DV ripping out Fireswamp and Thieves Forest this year?

The Canyons would be a great lift-served DH spot, if Talisker knew what was good for them.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    When you hit I70 out of Moab, head East to Colorado and ride Keystone and Sol Vista.

I had trouble motivating for DV when I was 30 minutes away. No way I'd drive two days to ride there...or Snowbasin.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by 3xv
    boardguru-Thanks for the info.. I looked at the snowbasin information online, and my brothers and I decided that this would be part of trails to be ridden.

We might ride slickrock on Fri. (meeting one of our bro. driving down from south Utah) before heading up to home base for the weekend.

Sat. will be Snowbasin, and Sun. still up in the air.

Any more recommendations are welcome. Thanks for the advice guys
    Skip slickrock and ride Porcupine from UPS. You'll be glad you did. Since you're bringing long travel xc rigs, you'll probably have more fun skipping the mediocre lift served and just ride some of the really nice trails we have in the area. DV could be day 1, then maybe a crest (if we get an early summer) or bobsled, and then head to Moab for a Porc and an Amasa back. Slickrock may be the most talked about trail, but I think the most fun can be had elsewhere.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    Isn't DV ripping out Fireswamp and Thieves Forest this year?

The Canyons would be a great lift-served DH spot, if Talisker knew what was good for them.
    Selling hundreds of lots at 1-5 mil, I think they are already getting what they want.

I ride with tools

Typical

Quote Originally Posted by 3xv
    . Plan is to ride three lift access trails in three days (fri, sat, sun).
    A Texan want to ride some sh!t but can't pedal uphill. Sack up bizatch!

I see way too much of these lazy mofos where I live (in paradise but way too close to Texass).

3xv
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Jim Beam-Thanks for the advice

3xv
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Appreciate all the positive info. guys. It seems we've chosen the places to ride (sundance being the third on sun.). Ride safe.

mtbr member
    I'm from CO and ride Keystone and Sol Vista all the time, and I think Deer Valley is pretty good. The old Wolrd's DH course is challenging, but no one seems to ride it do to the uphill walk to it.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    3xv check your PM

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecruz
    I'm from CO and ride Keystone and Sol Vista all the time, and I think Deer Valley is pretty good. The old Wolrd's DH course is challenging, but no one seems to ride it do to the uphill walk to it.

Totally Agree, I am from Utah and do DV all the time and I ride Keystone and Solvista every summer, DV gave me the skills to be able to ride Keystone and Solvista, DV is small but the trails give you skills so when you do venture to big DH parks you are not freaked out. Love Keystone though, Utah will soon have a park like that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Snowbasin won't open til probably June 15th, snow never ends! It rocks because: gondola ride is minus tourists with no shoes on a lift that can take 30 mins (hello Park City). You're up in 8 mins guaranteed. $18 last season, $80 season pass is a steal. You can easily do 40 miles downhill a day without trying, don't need a DH specific bike. Last year they had their own van pick up at 11 and 3pm as far as Pineview Dam, complimentary, that I guess could add 10 miles? Never a crowd, super friendly workers, richey rich lodges that treat you like any other guest. Sun fr 2 to 6 you have to ride past the live music on the lawn, with bar b cue and beer, that is the toughest part ...till you sink onto the lawn, 40 miles later, 1/2 hr to closing, food, beer, nappie time!

Yes you can ride up anything in the Wasatch, but not all of us live at 4,300 feet. Rent a bike in advance right at Snowbasin, beat up theirs...

Members who have read this thread: 0