TRAX: How Practical?- Mtbr.com
    JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

TRAX: How Practical?

I see online that TRAX allows bicycles on the train. How practical is it to take the train from SLC up to riding? It seems to me like this would be brilliant. Ride all day, have a lunch and a beer or two, doze off on the train back home.

Experiences? Comments?

JMH

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

If you can sleep while standing...

TRAX officials make you stand with you bike at all times. It's nice to be able to ride the train with your bike. However, there are many more things they could do to make it more bike-friendly. I ride it to work a few times each week.

mtbr member

Not alot of trails....

I'm not sure what you have in mind, but the only trail that TRAX really gets you close to is Bonneville Shoreline Trail. Sometimes my wife and I will catch the university train to Fort Douglas, hop off and pick up the BST at Red Butte gardens, and ride north until we drop out at City Creek. Then we just ride our bikes home. Folks that live farther away could takeTRAX both ways. They do make you stand with your bike but if the train isn't crowded you can usually get away with sitting down while holding on to your bike.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Roger that. Thanks for the replies!

JMH

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I was looking again, and TRAX has route maps up the canyons. Are those just UTA bus junctions rather than TRAX routes? The site isn't completely clear. I guess it was too much to hope that I could just ride a train to Park City!

JMH

mtbr member

That would be nice...

Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I was looking again, and TRAX has route maps up the canyons. Are those just UTA bus junctions rather than TRAX routes? The site isn't completely clear. I guess it was too much to hope that I could just ride a train to Park City!

JMH
    ...but the train right now just runs north/south in the middle of the valley, with a connector east to the University of Utah. The university train puts you at the base of the foothills and can access the BST, as I mentioned earlier. The routes up the canyons are for "ski buses" which only run (of course) in the winter. I don't believe that there is any UTA bus service between Salt Lake and Park City.

Members who have read this thread: 0