traveling across southern utah- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

traveling across southern utah

Hey,
    I'm planning on driving (rv) across southern Utah in a few days. Adding the classic 'where to ride' question, but really looking for people to ride with. I hear over the edge has a ride Saturday mornings and hope to be in hurricane by this Saturday. Any other recs? Will enter via I 15 and have about a week to cross the state. May or may not make it to moab before heading out towards Texas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thunder Mtn. for sure if you haven't yet. if you have, it must certainly be on your list already
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I will probably be on the shop ride Saturday. See you there I guess. My favorites here in Hurricane / St. George are Little Creek, Gooseberry, Guacamole and Zen. There are other fun ones that are just good old desert singletrack, but those are the ones with unique flavor.

I usually ride one of the mesas for a few hours on Friday morning. You can PM me if you want to ride something here in Hurricane.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Cool. Where does the shop ride meet? At the shop? Should I call them first?

Friday I'll be driving. It's going to be a pretty long day. Not sure where I'll spend the night--looks like there's both an RV park and a Walmart in Hurricane, and I hear there's some camping spots further away from the town?

Random question: any poison oak around? that's the bane of mountain biking in California!

Perpetual n00b

Re: traveling across southern utah

I made a promise not to recommend Navajo Lake as it is a well kept secret in these parts.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The shop ride meets at the shop at 10 AM. You can call them just to be sure they are heading out this week or just show up ready to ride.

Both those places are fine. There's no shortage of places to camp outside of town.

No poison oak. The only thing out to get you here is rocks and cactus.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Gooseberry then Thunder Mountain. You'll meet plenty of riders on Gooseberry, Zen and the rest around St. George / Hurricane but T Mountain will be lonely if you are alone. In that case go directly to Moab then Fruita on your way to TX.

It seems you are driving an RV and there is a scenic RV park in Virgin just up the highway from Hurricane. Gooseberry and others are nearby. The Red Bull Rampage was held across the river from this RV park.

While there is some good riding on the west side of UT you will find that and more in Moab. We stay at Moab Valley RV Resort. We've tried others but that is our favorite for views, hot tub, well maintained facilities and cleanliness.

We just arrived back home in San Jose after 2 1/2 weeks of MTB across southern UT.

Jim

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The shop said the ride is on, hope to make it in time and perhaps meet you hurkinite. I assume your name reflects the local pronunciation of the town?

Still not sure where I'll camp the night before; the rv park in town had space but said I'd best reserve it right this minute. The one in Virgin looks nice but I'm not going to drive 10 miles out of the way for the first night--it may make a good base after that? Or just on the side of the road somewhere.

Moab is def. on the possibility list.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Good advice on reserving a spot. We have the Tour De St. George this weekend and on Saturday it the Utah High School Mountain Bike State Championship here in town. I know with the high school race there's close to 700 riders and families showing up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    That was a fun trip if too short. The group ride was a good idea--though it was like a zillion people; met some folks to ride with later in the week.
    Didn't see any high school kids in Hurricane, camping wasn't an issue. I did stop for dinner in St George across from a hotel full of high school kids riding around the lot full of excitement.