Travel suggestion: east of SLC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Travel suggestion: east of SLC

I will be driving from Texas to Oregon mid-July. In the past I have cut across Colorado on IH70, hit Green River, then Price, Provo, SLC etc, then continued on 84 into Idaho.

This time, I am considering an alternative route. I'm wondering if this would make any sense: Instead of taking 15 thru SLC, maybe I could go through Heber City, to Coalville to Kaysville to Ogden. ...the eastern route if you will.

I'm sure there are killer rides near Park City or surrounding, but if you only had time for 1 ride, maybe 3 hrs, any suggestions? A park the car, hop on the bike, hit the trail, come back, solar shower, then hit the road again kind of thing.

It would probably be in the middle of the day (so temp concern), remember I'm from Texas (altitude concern), not a downhiller, hucker, nor a world class climber, but I am a reasonably good rider on a good 4" F&R travel bike. So a fun SCENIC roller coaster kind of trail, mildly technical, non-shuttle, without any 3000 ft vertical climbs...at under 8000 ft. These are suggestions, not rules.

Another alternative would be to ride between Brigham City and Logan, if there are any trails up there, but skipping SLC might be a good enough goal on its own, and a ride near Park City icing on the cake.

Does anything just jump out at you reading this (besides outrageous laughter), you know, that might prove helpful? Or a bike shop recommendation that cold handle this question?

It doesn't need to be the best ride of my life, I am just trying to get my a*s off the car seat for awhile, get some scenery, clean air, and some fun in, without a major major detour from planned route. Also, is there a better way to get to this area from Grand Junction than what I described?

Brass Nipples!

Spin Cycle in Park City

Start in Deer Valley (essentially Park City) and find a ride that incorporates the Spin Cycle singletrack in it. It is super fun. There are various options to get the length of ride you'd want. There are a bunch of bike shops in Park City, I can recommend Jans and White Pine Touring, I'm sure that others there are good, too.

Don't overlook Fruita, Colorado if you're going to pass through Grand Junction. The Over the Edge bike shop is the one to go to in Fruita.

mtbr member
    In Logan, there's the Jardine Juniper trail (all single track) and also Steel Hollow to Rick's Canyon or the other way around (you'll need a map for the top section), among other rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Almost too many possibilities....

First, I would definitely recommend your idea of going around SLC and avoiding I-15; that in itself is a worthy goal.

As you mentioned, there are many, many ride possibilities in and around Park City. But here's one that's easy to find, and will offer you some options. The two shops already mentioned will be your best source for getting quick info and will probably have the excellent (and free) trail map for the PC area. Find your way to the ski area's main parking lot and gear up there. Start climbing up Spiro (you'll need some good directions to find the trailhead), get on the Mid-Mountain trail and ride it all the way to Canyons resort (~13 miles) and beyond. You can turn around any time and back-track to your car, or ride out through Canyons resort to pavement and have an easy cruise back. Probably 1200' vertical on Spiro, then the MM trail stays mostly at around 8000' level, lots of shade on north facing terrain, plenty scenic, never difficult, but never boring. There'll be lots of people on this route to assist in navigation, especially around PC.

Here's a good source for all things UT: www.utahmountainbiking.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon-UT
    In Logan, there's the Jardine Juniper trail (all single track) and also Steel Hollow to Rick's Canyon or the other way around (you'll need a map for the top section), among other rides.
    Avoiding SLC and I-15 is a good option. Those side highways (eastern route) are very scenic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Whoo Hoo: thanks guys

Sounds like if I can't find a great ride, I'm blind, deaf, or dumb (hey, 2 outa 3 ain't bad).

Not sure where I'll end up, but you've certainly given me some options.

Yeah, I've done the direct route thru SLC. Cruising thru the mountains and getting a ride in sounds much better..

Thanks again.