Trails for early June riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Trails for early June riding?

Planning on coming down to Moab in the first week of June. The main trail I'm planning to ride is TWE or at least from Hazard on down.
    Second trail will be Mag7 (did that before, it was brutal at Gold Bar to Portal) , but I'm unsure if the heat will make it unbearable.

This will be my 3rd time to Moab and they have all been at different times of the year. Last year it was in April and it was cold, year before that was in June, but I only hit up Slickrock.

I know July and August is not a great time to ride, but how about early June riding Mag7 and Capt Ahab?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Well, technically, they are all rideable. It's really just a question of how much heat you can endure and how much water you feel like carrying. Any of the trails in the desert area will probably be hitting 90 degrees by noon so you could do morning rides, then reload your water and do shorter afternoon rides. There's not much shade on any desert trails.
    The preferred rides in the Summer months are in the mountains, most of them are in the guidebooks or the Trailmix website. If it's 100 degrees in town it's usually about 75 degrees in the mountains. The terrain will be aspen roots and dirt vs slick rock but the views are spectacular.

I ride Mag 7 and Amassa area all the time in the Summer but I'm like a lizard and love the heat

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    TWE is already in the plans, so we'll be in the La Sal mountains. But from looking at some trail maps, there's nothing else there. I'm using this map: Mountain Bike Trails near La Sal Mountains

We can handle 90F dry heat with enough water for a 3 hour ride, so Mag7 or Capt Ahab might be doable. If the temp is higher than that, we might go back to Fruita and do some of their trails as they are not as hot.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Fruita is roughly the same altitude as Moab and I've never noticed a significant temp. difference, and even less shade........
    If you get the local Moab trails mountain bike guide it will have several trails in it in the La Sals and there are several new trails the Forest Service has developed but I have not ridden yet this year. You actually need to bring a jacket with you when you go up there in the Summer months.
    Either way Im sure you will gave a good time

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    First time we went to Fruita/Moab 2 years ago in June I didn't bring a jacket cause I thought "pfff, it's the desert, I don't need sweaters". Boy was I wrong, it was cold when the sun went down. Plus is was like ~80F during the day, so it was perfect. Hopefully its the same this year, one can only hope.