Trails?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trails?

Aug 2004

Trails?

I am planning to go to brian head this summer with my buddies, I am driving from brigham city, and i was wondering if there is any trails we could hit on the way. Plus is brian head even worth my time and money? or should i plan to go somewhere else?

Thanks,

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyko
    I am planning to go to brian head this summer with my buddies, I am driving from brigham city, and i was wondering if there is any trails we could hit on the way. Plus is brian head even worth my time and money? or should i plan to go somewhere else?

Thanks,
    What time of year? Brian Head is great, but it's summer and fall only as far as biking is concerned.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Aug 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    What time of year? Brian Head is great, but it's summer and fall only as far as biking is concerned.

I will probably be going in july.

Brass Nipples!

There's a bunch of great XC stuff, some good shuttling.

All the Brian Head rides, the Virgin River Rim, Casto/Losse Canyons and Thunder Mountain will all be good in July. If you want to shuttle, you can do Brian Head (lifts have run only on weekends in past years) or Thunder Canyon. From BH, Dark Hollow drops 5,000 feet to the town of Parowan. Bunker Creek drops about 3,000 feet to Panguitch Lake. You can start with the lift from Giant Steps to the top, then you'll need to buy a shuttle from Parowan or Panguitch Lake unless you want a long climb at high altitude.

You can ride the St. George rides like Gooseberry, the JEM loop, Church Rocks and the Green Valley Loop in July, but you pretty much need to be riding within an hour of sunup so you don't get heatstroke. Gooseberry is fun on a freeride bike, no decent downhills, but lots of moderate techy stuff on slickrock and singletrack and some drops thrown in.

The Wasatch Crest shouldn't be missed if you wanted something closer to Brigham City. The Wasatch Mountains between Ogden and Santaquin are full of great XC trails. Look at utahmountanbiking.com or trail reviews on this site for some ideas if you're not familiar with the area.

I'm sure there's lots of riding between Santaquin and Parowan, but I'm not familiar with the area.

Good luck. It definitely should be worth the trip.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.