Trail Work and Advocacy in St George/SW Utah- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Good job! Trail Work and Advocacy in St George/SW Utah

Ok.. here is a new thread where we can discuss how we can effect positive change and work seperately and together to keep trail we have and get new trail built.

Let's agree to all play nice please. Some of us will have differing opinions, diversity is a good thing.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok..someone asked if I know anyone at BLM who coould get shite done..

Yes and no. They are all governed by in this case a system of top-down buracracy that makes a Desert Tortoise's speed look like that of an F-15 in comparrison. So we need to do basic stuff on our own outside of (but not in conflict with) the system.

We offered to do some trailwork on existing APPROVED trail as stewards. The BLM office said that they would have to do a study on our proposal and it could take months.

So lets just go DO IT. Better in this case to beg forgivingness than ask permission I guess.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

NOT Team Sanchez
    I agree with the fix first then ask I think the biggest current threat to our trails is atv's, they've been out on the loop recently, someone had undone the fence at the bottom entrance of Navajo. I fixed the fence the best I could, but it's going to need some more mending. The other spot I noticed needs some help is the fence at the top of Stucki, I think that that's where the atv's gain access to the Bear Claw Poppy reserve. The front side of the hill ( zen, barrels, race course) is probably past the point of no return, I don't know what can be done to stop the (insert expletive here) four wheelers off????
    I like bikes.

Really I am that slow
    Cameras and snapping a pic of atv plates and calling them in can be handy info for blm.... also calmly talking to said riders when i see them unloading at trailheads ect...

Other wise i dunno.... a cat d-90 and some big rocks?
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    I like where your heads at STT, I would like to take a more active role and this should be a fine place to coordinate efforts.

I have about 15-20 left over fence posts that I was planning on using to fix the fences on Stucki. I would not consider fence mending to be "trail maintenance" so I have decided that no permission is needed. I will still submit a scope of work to myself so that I know what my objectives are.

When I get my crap in a pile I will let the concerned citizens of this board know when I am headed out.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    I like where your heads at STT, I would like to take a more active role and this should be a fine place to coordinate efforts.

I have about 15-20 left over fence posts that I was planning on using to fix the fences on Stucki. I would not consider fence mending to be "trail maintenance" so I have decided that no permission is needed. I will still submit a scope of work to myself so that I know what my objectives are.

When I get my crap in a pile I will let the concerned citizens of this board know when I am headed out.
    Great! Please keep us posted so we can gather up some labor for you.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I see Krob posted up in the other thread about the Xmas-New Years gap... I would love to head down sometime that week if you can put heads together and come up with a trail/task we could accomplish in one day of working? Would also love to get two rides in.

Building fences sounds rad if it defeats the QuadTards. I agree that maintenance of an existing fence line is easily justifiable.

JMH

mtbr member
    Yep. After I posted that I saw this thread and realized I should've posted it here.

Either the 30th or the 31st works for me and I will probably ride both those days as well either in St. George or Vegas.

Let me know.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    30th is okay for me too. I could prolly come down WED to ride, THU to work, FRI to drive home after another short ride in the AM.

Or if nobody can do it, maybe I will just go riding with K. Not an altogether bad idea.

JMH

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    30th is okay for me too. I could prolly come down WED to ride, THU to work, FRI to drive home after another short ride in the AM.

Or if nobody can do it, maybe I will just go riding with K. Not an altogether bad idea.

JMH
    I'll be at my folks 4 xmas and new years... otherwise....
    Read my BLOG!

I'd rather be biking...
    I'm all for trail building/maintenance/advocacy. I love the trails we have here but it still seems that "we are" shunned when it comes to building new legal trails or at least put on the back burner. I go places where legal mtn bike trails are popping up like pay day loan places and wal-marts....Well maybe that was a bad example but you know what I mean.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Tral Work On Jem Trail This Saturday...

JEM needs a little work in a spot or two..

Anyone cool with Saturday AM?
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    JEM needs a little work in a spot or two..

Anyone cool with Saturday AM?

If I wasn't working =(
    Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    what time? yer house or the parking lot? Will we need enough tools I should bring the bob trailer? the dirt is perfect for building/repairs right now.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Good job! Jem Trail Work Day Saturday 9:30am

Lets work!

Meet at Sheepbridge Road on the bridge that crosses the Virgin River at 9:30AM.

Bring tools if ya got em!

Who's in?
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    See you there. Bringin' B.O.B.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Great,, We're riding Gooseberry aftrwards and then at about 6:30PM doing a BBQ at Over the Edge... BBQ is free (we'll supply sirloin steaks and chicken) bring a side dish. Should be fun.

Thank you
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

Members who have read this thread: 0