Trail from the top of Guardsman Pass?- Mtbr.com
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008

Trail from the top of Guardsman Pass?

Every time I drive up 190 to Guardsman Pass (right where the gravel starts, from the Brighton/Solitude side) I always see MTBs parked there getting ready to ride, coming in, etc. Even tonight coming over I saw a bunch of guys.

What trail are they riding?? I didn't think there was anything there at that peak. Are they just riding up that two-track dirt road? (which I guess could lead to more).

Just wondering - if its worth it I want to go explore that tomorrow.

Mar 2007

Guardsman riding

In the past I have parked there and rode towards Park City to catch a trail on the north side of the road that ties into the Park City trail system.

However, a new trail was completed this year directly north of the parking lot that provides a link to Scott's Pass and the Wasatch Crest. This trail is surprisingly rideable in both directions. Check it out!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

new trail

the trail pops you out at Rhino, if you happen to ski PCMR. You easily go around Scotts Bowl and get dumped at the base of Puke Hill. The trail up from the car lot is double track for 25 yards, go around the fence, then hit the singletrack 10 yards to your left. Its not marked.

Its a ripping good bike trail, at times you think you're going to dump out on the road, but flow with it since you can't see the Park City side as you ride. Its only a mile or so from the original corner of Guardsmens, where the bathroom trail begins. Sure is a better warm up.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    So you're talking about that 2-track dirt road that stems North of that little parking area? The new trail breaks off that?

I'll go up there and explore that tomorrow.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Oooohhhhh - yeah I know exactly what trail you're talking about - thanks for the info!

Mar 2007
    Yes it heads off from the double track and actually last time I saw it a couple months ago it was marked.

It used to be that you had to ride the steep ridge off of Scott's Bowl but with the new trail you stay on winding singletrack on the west face of the mountain all the way to the pass.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    I rode the new leg from the top of Guardsman to Puke Hill today. You were right - surprisingly rideable both ways and a lot of fun. Love the tight sections through the Aspens and that last stint that hugs you against the mountainside (keeps you awake, no doubt.)

(I think that short leg is better than the Crest itself).

One more day and I'm heading south for the winter - I've had a great time riding up here all summer. Tons of great trails all over.

Members who have read this thread: 0