Trail "improvements"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Trail "improvements"

I'm sure most of you have seen it already, and its not that big of a deal, but another example of misguided trail "maintenance" at the bottom of Mill-D. The re-route around the dip with the big boulders....I mean who cares? It was

a) perfectly ride-able
    b) actually kind of fun
    c) did not seem to cause trail erosion or other problems

So why spend time/money/effort to re-route the trail there?!?

The other improvements ( cutting back weeds etc ) on the trail are definitely appreciated, but the re-route is just another example of the dumbing down of our trails - eventually someone will decide to pave them.

I have to assume it was the FS ... I actually saw 2 dudes in FS outfits with mountain bikes at the parking lot the other day...should have asked them what they were doing, but didn't know about the changes at that time.

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    Wha?! That dip was one of my favorite features, you could pop the first rock and downside the second keeping your speed up. Did they build a whole new section around that part? Can you still ride the old line?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    Wha?! That dip was one of my favorite features, you could pop the first rock and downside the second keeping your speed up. Did they build a whole new section around that part? Can you still ride the old line?
    no sir, they filled in the dip with a bunch of debris from cutting the trail around it. You can't even see the white boulders without really looking for them.

sad...

mtbr member
    Confirmed, Zak. The old line is utterly destroyed. The new line could actually be somewhat fun, but only if you come into it with plenty of heat, which seems contrary to what one might expect the FS were hoping to achieve. Another dumbing down, folks. I also see there are handrails on the spine, and plans for a rascal-friendly down-ramp.

On another topic, did anyone notice the leviathan-sized boulder on the right hand side as you hit the first sweeping left hander after dropping into Mill-D from Desolation lake? it appears to have rolled down the hillside obliterating everything in it's path without concern. So, in that respect it's not entirely dissimilar to the FS.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    At least they finally removed the down tree!

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I swear someone on the FS staff loves riding Segways and is determined to make every official trail in the area Segway accessible. After all, walking and pedaling are just too hard.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Same thing's happening at solitude. Strange isn't it, bike's are getting more and better suspension, and the trails get smoother and smoother.
    I've heard through good sources the next big thing in trail maintenance will be the introduction of the finishing trowel.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Hmmmm....hit Crest to Mill D the other night...clean shot, nice and dusty, beautiful sunset. Watched Bortis and mr. welcorn hold hands after cleaning the Spine. Just epic.

That reroute is pretty lame if you ask me and takes away the flow of that section of Mill D. I liked how they filled in the old section with all the now dying weeds and trees they cut for the go-around.

Give it 10 years and that thing will be widened, paved and tourists will be able to drive up to both lakes and not leave their car.

I'm giving up walking on my own power. Now where did I leave my Jazzy?

Homer's problem child
    I didn't think it was too bad, I just wish they would have made the 90 degree turn at the end of the re-route a bit bigger radius so it wouldn't require as much braking into it, I can see that getting a nice set of braking bumps.... Maybe we should just go up and "fine tune" it a bit... by adding a 4 foot tall berm and quadrupling the turn radius....

I didn't see what was wrong with the old line....
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    The FS plan is to get the trail in such a condition that you can push a baby stroller up Mill D. When that happens look for me going downhill in a shopping cart instead of my mountain bike!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by mooddude
    The FS plan is to get the trail in such a condition that you can push a baby stroller up Mill D. When that happens look for me going downhill in a shopping cart instead of my mountain bike!
    Shopping carts are the new 29'ers .

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Shopping carts are the new 29'ers .
    Yeah! You tell 'em slcrockymountainrider!

Can't wait until the FS requires those little shopping cart 29'er wheel locks that engage when you try and push one out of the parking lot.

I'd actually be down for that technology on some trails to keep whomever's been blowing out the exits of all the switchbacks on the Wasatch Crest Connector, that sweeping turn on the Crest and those blown out switchbacks (now fixed-thank you very much) on Link.

Stray off course, your front wheel locks up until you can find a Canyon Patrol trooper to wave a wand (that's what she said) over your wheel and unlock it.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Yeah! You tell 'em slcrockymountainrider!

Can't wait until the FS requires those little shopping cart 29'er wheel locks that engage when you try and push one out of the parking lot.
    It's getting harder and harder for you to find intelligent conversation isn't it?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    It's getting harder and harder for you to find intelligent conversation isn't it?
    Well there's that and riding partners.

Oh...snap!

Members who have read this thread: 0