Trail Fixes classes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

New question here. Trail Fixes classes

I was wondering if there are any classes offered in the Wasatch Front/Park City through out the year on the trail fixes, bike maintenance and repairs?

I am getting back into mtn biking and the technology has definitely changed since the nineties. Any suggestions where to go to acquire pro tips and such?

Thanks,
    Alex

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
    I was wondering if there are any classes offered in the Wasatch Front/Park City through out the year on the trail fixes, bike maintenance and repairs?

I am getting back into mtn biking and the technology has definitely changed since the nineties. Any suggestions where to go to acquire pro tips and such?

Thanks,
    Alex
    right here...

IMO you don't need to take a class if you know how to read. Buy some books and search online for what you want to know.

A good starting point.

Also if you search youtube someone has probably posted a step by step video for every kind of bike maintenance job you will ever need to do. Sram, Fox, and other component companies are pretty good about having downloadable pdf manuals with step by step instruction manuals on their websites.

Probably one of the biggest challenges in learning to service your own bike is you will need a lot of special tools to perform the jobs. So be prepared to spend/invest in some nice bike tools. In the end they will pay for themselves because you can do all the work and you won't have to pay someone else to do it.

Also if you go to the Park tools website I believe they have a free downloadable manual on how to service every part on your bike, and usually they tell you what kind of tools you will need to perform the job as well.

Most of the jobs will vary slightly depending on what kind of components you have on your bike, so learn how to identify the components on your bike and know the differences between component groups. This can seem overwhelming but all the information is out there if your willing to do a little research...Most of what you will ever need to know can be learned by simply going to the Park Tools, Shimano, Sram, and Fox websites.

hope that helps, good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks man, ya youtube has a lot of good info and most of my knowledge did come from DIY youtube guides. Still like seeing stuff done in person once in a while. I appreciate your long write up, thank you for taking the time!

mtbr member
    Check out the salt lake city bike collective. Hands on, you can work on your own bike or practice on theirs. They teach out the the park tool book, so if there's something that's puzzling you, just go to that class.

Bicycle Collective - Home
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Performance Bike has classes locally:

Monthly In-Store Spin Doctor Clinics

I have been to one of their classes and it was worth it. You can also check out the rides for the mountain bike meetup group SLCMTB - Salt Lake City Mountain Biking (Salt Lake City, UT) - Meetup. While there aren't many rides posted with the season ending there are multiple rides throughout the year where Mike/Kyle/Brete give you tips on riding and bike maintenance.