trail conditions? - Southern & Northern Skyline Trail- Mtbr.com
    over researcher

trail conditions? - Southern & Northern Skyline Trail

What are the conditions of the Southern Skyline Trail and Northern Skyline Trail? I'm thinking of getting away from Snow Basin and the Wheeler Creek stuff and trying something new this Saturday.

Thanks.

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    I'd bet there's no difference. Moondust and loose unless we get some rain. Wheeler, the forks and maple got hammered pretty hard with Xterra.

mtbr member
    I rode Ben Lomond yesterday, it's rocky enough that you don't get the deep dust.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There is one section, east side of the trail (overlooking Liberty) where you will undoubtedly encounter moon dust, other than that, spider1234 is correct. The rocky terrain found on 99% of the trail is not conducive to moon dust, which makes it really quite nice...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jon.moab
    There is one section, east side of the trail (overlooking Liberty) where you will undoubtedly encounter moon dust, other than that, spider1234 is correct. The rocky terrain found on 99% of the trail is not conducive to moon dust, which makes it really quite nice...
    how about going down to north fork campground (i think that's what its called) from ben lomond? overgrown? not too bad?

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    The rocky terrain found on 99% of the trail is not conducive to moon dust, which makes it really quite nice...
    Gotcha, the BST is holding up nicely for the same reason. Hadn't ridden it in a few weeks and was surprised this morning by how well it is riding. Only really bad areas were dropping into Bues.

over researcher
    Thanks for the info. One of my main concerns on how bad the trail is overgrown, if at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    how about going down to north fork campground (i think that's what its called) from ben lomond? overgrown? not too bad?
    I have not been down that way so I cannot comment on the conditions of the trail. Sorry...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have not been down that way so I cannot comment on the conditions of the trail. Sorry...
    np - i don't think that many do - which is why i asked! once a summer slogfest = start in Eden, go across road and pineview nature trail to lewis peak TH, up to lewis peak, down to n. ogden pass, up ben lomond, down to north fork and back on road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    np - i don't think that many do - which is why i asked! once a summer slogfest = start in Eden, go across road and pineview nature trail to lewis peak TH, up to lewis peak, down to n. ogden pass, up ben lomond, down to north fork and back on road.
    Ah yes, The whole enchalada, Eden valley style. I usually retrack from the trail junction at Ben Lomond and descend from N. Ogden divide, only because riding the road back is so boring.

Members who have read this thread: 0