mtbr member
    May 2017

Trail Conditions in Greater SLC Area, Visiting Until Sunday

I was hoping on riding Flying Dog and a few other trails however not sure what condition they will be in due to the recent weather. I'm staying in Layton (30 minutes North of Salt Lake City) and open to drive an hour or so to get to a trail. Last year during a visit I rode most of Park City, Wasatch Crest Trail and really enjoyed it. I would love to go on 2-3 rides of 2-3 hours if possible over the next few days. Advice from Locals who know the trails would be really appreciated. Thanks

Hell Track
    I'd like to know the same. heading to SLC Memorial Day weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtnbrews View Post
    I was hoping on riding Flying Dog and a few other trails however not sure what condition they will be in due to the recent weather. I'm staying in Layton (30 minutes North of Salt Lake City) and open to drive an hour or so to get to a trail. Last year during a visit I rode most of Park City, Wasatch Crest Trail and really enjoyed it. I would love to go on 2-3 rides of 2-3 hours if possible over the next few days. Advice from Locals who know the trails would be really appreciated. Thanks
    Flying Dog is a no go. With the cold temps and recent snowfall i'd avoid Park City this weekend and stick to the lower elevation valley trails.

Depending on how much precip we get today and tomorrow things could dry out quick in the Salt Lake valley by the weekend...or not.

As of now its going to be touch and go conditions, so use your best judgement if trails are too muddy, leaving ruts and such, turn around.

Memorial day weekend could be a completely different scenario, check again next week.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Today I rode BST by Ogden, trail was in great shape

Moderator Moderator
    Do not come to PC. We have had snow and rain for the last ~48 hours. There is nothing dry. Next week will be great, and I did my first Flying Dog lap of the year last week before the snow. Should be in great shape in 3 or 4 days, but not this weekend.

-Walt

I didn't do it
    Watch out for some of the sections of the BST if wet. Depending on where you are it can get real soupy and muddy. Yuck.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    You could try Stansbury Island. It got rained on too, but it dries faster than a lot of the SL valley floor. The downside to going there on the weekend is you feel like you are under fire because of all the shooting people do out there. If you stay on the trail though you'll be above the people shooting at dirt.

Hell Track
    Thanks for the info All. As the west is warming and drying up this week I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Memorial Day weekend

Hell Track
    Any ride recommendations for one day trip to Park City? One rider that will be with us will not be a very strong climber. He hasn't ridden in years and will be renting a bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    9th street bike park is gtg as is bst from 12th all the way to the nature center trailhead.
    Coldwater canyon was a little wet up at elevation but will be fine in the next day or two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    Any ride recommendations for one day trip to Park City? One rider that will be with us will not be a very strong climber. He hasn't ridden in years and will be renting a bike
    Up until a few days ago, Lower PC was drying out....Round Valley and Flying Dog were rideable and probably appropriate for your friend. Then we got enough precip to wet us out for at least a few days. Scattered showers on Sunday, 21st. If those prove minimal, you may be able to hit Round Valley by Tuesday or so. Thursday has scattered showers predicted also, so it's a wait and see sort of thing. By Monday, it should be in the 60's and 70's for a while.

mtbr member
    There will be no high elevation stuff to ride at all. We still have about 9' of snow that has not melted yet.
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

mtbr member
    Just got back from Round Valley. Completely dry. I didn't make it to the U.S. 40 side (Rusty Shovel, etc.) but riders told me it was dry.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 05-20-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    I would guess Flying Dog will be a go tomorrow. Moose Hollow/Bob's Basin was good today. Incipient mud holes from drainage areas still, though. If it's really bad turn around.

-Walt

Moderator Moderator
    I take it back. Rained a lot last night and it's still raining a bit now. Everything will be a mess, don't ride in PC today.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I take it back. Rained a lot last night and it's still raining a bit now. Everything will be a mess, don't ride in PC today.

-Walt
    Jeremy Ranch only got a light shower. FD was good up until about 6 PM Sunday night when a big thunderstorm blew through and dumped significant rain. Tuesday should be good if today gets sunny and warms up.

Hell Track
    Thanks all for the recommendations. Sorry to jack your thread DirtnBrews, I hope your trip was good. SLC is a beautiful area and a much larger Metro Area than I thought. Thinking of doing a long weekend later in the summer. Fly in and rent a bike, I'm glad my friend moved there... now i've always got a place to stay