trail building- Mtbr.com

Thread: trail building

ride more.
    Nov 2004

trail building

Sorry for the spam here, but this is a trail work opportunity. This has gone out to all the guys in wafta, but I thought I could post here as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As mentioned last week, we've got some building going on in the Trailside Skills Park located in Park City this weekend. Here's the goods:

When: Show up between 8am and 8:30am on June 23rd, will last until noon-1pm (please show up later if you can't make 8am and stay as long as you can)

Where: Trailside Skills Park, Park City

How: Take US-40 heading towards Heber off I-80 then turn off at exit 2 (first exit on US-40). Turn right and follow the road to the stop sign where you see a parking lot straight ahead. Pull into that parking lot and meet us there or just up the hill to the skills park. (There are brown "Trailside Park" signs, that is the same place)

What: Bring gloves, sunscreen, hat, water, some energy food. Bring your bike to test things out when we're done. Also, if you have a cordless driver drill for fastening the wood together, that would also be helpful (charged up please!).

Outline of the work: We'll be adding some additional features to the skills park. Bob from Snyderville Basin was there Tuesday and put in the 4x4 posts with concrete so it will be ready for us. They have the lumber, decking, screws, etc. We'll have two main features we're building but if we have enough people there we can build more things. We'll be designing/building things as we go for the optional stuff so bring your ideas as well.

If you plan on coming, post a reply so we can get a count for Bob. Rumor has it there may be some SWAG handed out as well, so if building stunts isn't enough incentive, hopefully that will help. I know it's a drive for many of the Davis/Utah county guys, but hopefully it will be worth the trip and carpool if you can. Remember, it's supposed to be 100 degrees in the valley, Park City will be cooler so come on up and build!

biking is fun
    sounds pretty sweet. i can't give you a definate yes but i will sure try.
    the place is fun but gets boring quick. some taller/skinnier stunts might spice it up and also a ladder bridge drop to transition landing would be fun. maybe between the 5-10 foot range. or a roller coaster to a teeter toter.
    just a few ideas.
    like i said i will try to be there on sat and ill see if my room mate will come too

ride more.
    Nov 2004

From what I understand, Bob wants to build a lot more stuff out there. Apparently there is over 40 acres set aside in the area for Park City FR trails. The more that show up, the more we can build. Bob is open to almost anything, as long as it is secured and permanent. If you cant make it this Saturday, come up for the next one. I know that there is limited stuff in place right now, but there is literally unlimited potential.

Rocket Scientist
    Mar 2005
    What is Snyderville Basin? public access, private land..?

It would be nice to meet some fellow riders.. I am new to the dh/fr scene.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    From what I understand, Bob wants to build a lot more stuff out there. Apparently there is over 40 acres set aside in the area for Park City FR trails. The more that show up, the more we can build. Bob is open to almost anything, as long as it is secured and permanent. If you cant make it this Saturday, come up for the next one. I know that there is limited stuff in place right now, but there is literally unlimited potential.
    Do I understand you right? Are you building next weekend, too?

May 2007
    I am the same as CSMsi311 i am new and am not that good! But i will try and make it because i want to meet new people and i havent biked in like a month

Just to give you an idea of how good or bad i am! I rode my first ever downhill race and that was the first time i was on a mountain other then xc and that is really nothing like dh and i was 2 minutes behind the leader so i went in with 0 experience

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I'm out for this weekend, wish I could be there, that place has serious potential.

M and I were kicking around some ideas.
    -Facing the jump line that leads to the wall ride take a trail off the the left and down the gully.
    -Table tops and berms the whole way down
    -Switchbacks to climb back up, with each flat spot on the switchback populated with a stunt: teeters, skinnies, ladders, etc.
    -End up with an endless fun loop with all types of freeride stunt options.

Hope to also see some bigger lines at some point, like climbingbubba was mentioning.
    tripple teeters are really fun and not too high risk as are diagonal teeters.
    true skinnies (4" or less) would be great too, even if they're not all that high up and throw in some crazy bumps/obstacles on them.
    Ladder transfers, both up and down are super fun. Manage the risk with clear areas to bail and nice case pads and we should be good to go.

I'm def down for some building in the future up there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Count me in.

I've got an electric drill, and my FJ has an outlet if we need serious powah! Should we bring shovels/pick axes as well??

Ill be coming from Ogden if anyone wants to carpool, drop me an IM. All I ask is you throw in a little cash for guel. I think Ill have one more coming with, so Ill have room for 2 more peeps.

May 2007
    I think i could use a ride and i will chip in some money if i can i have sent you a pm!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by -Insomnia-
    I think i could use a ride and i will chip in some money if i can i have sent you a pm!
    hit you back..

Looks like the FJ is filling up quick! If anyone else in the ogden area needs a ride lemme know

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Thanks for the support and for heading up! It should be a good morning of work tomorrow. To answer some questions...

I do not think that there is a trail day planned for next Saturday at the moment. I will post any new details when I receive them. This land is public land - it is part of the Snyderville Basin Recreation District (i.e. Summit County). Bob is very open to DHing and FRing and there are trails there for all abilities (though many of the current stuff in Bob's Basin is entry level riding...) The goal is to build more progressive trails with varying degrees of difficulty and alternate lines around the more difficult features.

It really is a great spot with heaps of potential.

See you guys tomorrow. I am the guy with the broken arm.

For those of you who havent joined up - go to www.waftautah.com and sign up. Then you can be included on these email lists and can help with trail advocacy in the Wasatch. And by "help", I mean coming out to trail days if you can make it, but it is helpful to have as many members as we can in approaching land managers to build trails.

Thanks! See y'all tomorrow.

Jun 2006
    This sounds great. I will try to make it up. May bring the kids to check it out as well.

Casey

May 2007
    I am still waiting to here a replay from DRIDE for a ride. If he does not call me or email me back then i will try to make it up there some other way but i hope i can

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My girlfriend just reminded me of some family plans I totally spaced!

I'm not sure Ill be able to make it in time for the early morning deadline. Ill do my best.

If anyone is coming from Layton/Ogden area see if you can give Insomnia a ride!

mtbr member
    Thanks to all who came out for the build. We had a great turnout. I managed to get the web updated with the photos and write-up, you can check it out here:

http://www.waftautah.com/sbrd_new_stunts.htm

There isn't anything else planned for SBRD at this time. They're open to all kinds of things up there and have some land to build on. They do have some guidelines that I have a hard copy of as far as their building standards, I'll try to get an electronic one and post it on the website as well. They are based on the same standards that Whistler uses.

It's really nice to see a group like Snyderville Basin Rec developing new trails and areas for skill building. They're not only committing their time and land, they're committing their money as I think the wood for the new line was near $1k to purchase.

May 2007
    Cool. Thanks for all the hard work! Can't wait to try it. Looks quality. It would be cool to see some of this kind of stuff on a 'real' trail somewhere.

May 2007
    I was planning on coming out sorry for not making it. I didnt have a ride and the carpool i was going to ride with had a birthday to attend to so. I will try to make it up next time But cant through july 2nd through August 20th

Aug 2004
    Too bad I missed out on this. The park is about 1/2 mile from my house, I go there from time to time to play. I'm psyched to hear about the possibility of future expansion. Next time you hear about additional building there email me pfell at pcsbt.org. I'm a contracter and have plenty of cordless saws, drills, and tools to make things move smooth like.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Good work guys. I had an emergency that brought me home from Cali early but was still unable to make the Sat dig. M and I stopped by on Sunday for a quick ses. Nice work, the rebar is rad. Gotta dig out that line so that you can link the new stuff to the wall ride.

mtbr member
    DrB and I were thinking curved wall ride instead of a dig at the end of that line!

Err - bummer to hear about Cali for you but it sounds like you made the best of it! We rode DV on Sunday... the stuff up there is very loose and dusty already but still fun. Thinking about Wolf on Sunday but not sure if it will be a go yet. Give me a shout if you guys are heading somewhere and don't mind company!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProf
    DrB and I were thinking curved wall ride instead of a dig at the end of that line!

Err - bummer to hear about Cali for you but it sounds like you made the best of it! We rode DV on Sunday... the stuff up there is very loose and dusty already but still fun. Thinking about Wolf on Sunday but not sure if it will be a go yet. Give me a shout if you guys are heading somewhere and don't mind company!
    Hole in the Ground trail in Truckee was a great ride, but ended well after dark due to getting lost. There's something special about being alone in the dark on a trail that you don't know without a proper bike light and lots of bear claw markings on the trees

My 10 year old German Shepard passed away on Friday night and made for an emergency trip home. Will have to make a another trip over to hit Downeiville and N* later this summer.

M's oncall this week so hard to get too far from the house this weekend. We may do a brief ride if the pager isn't too crazy.

Just roll it......

Threadjack Alert!!

Yo WAFTA peeps,

I'll be in Utah from July 4th - 10th. My wife will be coaching a women's camp that weekend in Park City and I'm riding her coattails.

I'm already planning to hook up with some buddies you likely know and would love to ride with more of you if you're around. Another buddy who works parttime in SLC is driving down with my Reign, so I'll be without the big bike, but I can hit/ride anything on the reign...so no worries.

For the first few days, we'll be staying with my wife's fam off of Highland drive (yep, she's a local) and then we're in Park City for the weekend.

Cheers,
    EB

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Yo WAFTA peeps,

I'll be in Utah from July 4th - 10th. My wife will be coaching a women's camp that weekend in Park City and I'm riding her coattails.

I'm already planning to hook up with some buddies you likely know and would love to ride with more of you if you're around. Another buddy who works parttime in SLC is driving down with my Reign, so I'll be without the big bike, but I can hit/ride anything on the reign...so no worries.

For the first few days, we'll be staying with my wife's fam off of Highland drive (yep, she's a local) and then we're in Park City for the weekend.

Cheers,
    EB
    Def need to hookup man. There's def a few good fun trails worth doing while you're here, not to mention the newly opened Wolf Mountain.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Def need to hookup man. There's def a few good fun trails worth doing while you're here, not to mention the newly opened Wolf Mountain.
    Cool deal.

I'll plan to be riding most days and wouldn't mind doing a mix of XC, FR and DH. I'm just gonna rely on the locals to point me in the right direction and I'll be glad to do follow their lead.

Toni, I think one of my good buddies just bought a Knolly V-tach through you.

Cheers,
    EB

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Cool deal.

I'll plan to be riding most days and wouldn't mind doing a mix of XC, FR and DH. I'm just gonna rely on the locals to point me in the right direction and I'll be glad to do follow their lead.

Toni, I think one of my good buddies just bought a Knolly V-tach through you.

Cheers,
    EB
    I'm still fairly new to the area, but most trails require a good bit of pedaling. We need to get ya up to Moose, maybe Empire. The XC in Park City is pretty good stuff, the climbs are decent and there's some super fun sections.

Yeah, he mentioned that he knew you, small world... He should be a happy joker once he gets that V-Tach sorted out.

mtbr member
    Has empire been worked on at all? Last time I was up there a good majority of the epic stuff had either been removed, or was falling apart enough to be unridable. I'd love to know what kind of shape it's in

Members who have read this thread: 0