Tour duh Utah- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tour duh Utah

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tour duh Utah

I am headed to Gooseberry Mesa on May 26th and will hook up with friends there.
    Intend to spend a week riding in the area. Other rides planned: Little Creek Mesa, AZ Trail from Jacob Lake to the Utah state line, shuttle, 20 miles of trail, 2000' descent.
    Virgin River Rim Trail, camping at Navajo Lake. Brianhead descent. Kodachrome Basin Singletrack. Fish Lake's Mytoge Mountain Singletrack. Rides will modify with temprature, as it gets hotter, I go higher. Interested? Abe

Thread Terrorist
    Riding is like Crack... and clearly you got some. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Gooseberry and Little Creek are classics. If you or your friends aren't familar with the trail network on Little Creek Mesa you should probably carry a GPS. You'll also want to make sure the higher elevation rides like Virgin River Rim, Brianhead, Fish Lake, Navajo are open that early in the year. Let us know how the AZ Trail from Jacob Lake to Utah state line is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Goose

Ridden there 3 times and love the place. Been to Little Creek once and had a blast. I do have a good head for directions and had no trouble route finding. This time, it'll only be easier as I'm bringing the pooch, Shelby, English Pointer and she'll find her way out for me. Speaking of way out the rest of the rides I haven't done. Brianhead will most likely be too wet but it's been a dry winter in the southwest. You may be right about the Virgin Rim as it's high elevation. I have others in the area wanna check out such as 3 Peaks Trails at 6000'. Time will kill! Oh it's 4:20?

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    havent been there yet, but its on the agenda for this summer, Thunder mountain sounds like a must do. JEM / huricane rim is a fun ride too right there near Gooseberry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bring your camera

When you go to Thunder Mountain bring your camera. It's an awesome ride. Climbing there not that steep. I rode it east to west.

Tucson, AZ
    I will be soloing it up in southeastern Utah from June 8-17 and will be looking for some people to go with. When is your trip over?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

too late

Hi, I'll be returning to AZ just a couple days before you start, sorry. Spent today on teh VIrgin River Rim Trail. It was below freezing camping at Navajo Lake, a beautiful place to start the ride but be ready for the cold. Sorry the timing won't work, but planning to camp in southern AZ Mt. Graham about 6/16. Pretty good trails there. Happy trails.

Tucson, AZ
    I think I am going to head up to Jacob Lake and Rainbow Rim Trail. After I saw some pictures of the canyon, I am sold on making that my basecamp for a few days before heading to Zion.

Tucson, AZ
    Have a nice trip!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

tour complete

I have returned home after some great riding. The Virgin River Rim Trail is TOUGH, very steep and wore my old butt out on every section I tried, quickly. Very beautiful trail. If camping at Navajo Lake, at the trail's center prepare for cold night time temps.
    The Arizona Trail on top of the Kaibab Plateau is awesome. Start oa 89A and head north to Utah, 20.9 miles and 2000' descent, sweeeeet.
    Start at the East Rim Viewpoint and head south to the lip of the canyon. Deep spruce, fir and aspen forest. May be THE MOST BEAUTIFUL TRAIL ride in Arizona, even prettier than the Rainbow Rim, but the canyon views are better from the Rainbow.
    3 Peaks has it's highlights, mainly the pink granite, stickier than slickrock. It's NW of Cedar City, UT. Lots of camping, descent riding, I give the 3 Peaks a 3 out of 5.

Members who have read this thread: 0