Torrey / Capital Reef area ride(s) ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Torrey / Capital Reef area ride(s) ?

My wife and i are planning a trip to Capital reef in early May and would like some biking time besides the hiking we will do in the park. My wife is beginner/intermediate (she rides Canyon Hollow in Corner Canyon and mid mtn in PC). I am looking for advice on any decent beg/Inter rides around Torrey. Was hoping to find something mellow off the beaten path away from motorized peeps. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Try Capitol Reef Backcountry Outfitters they might be able to help, I know they rent mountain bikes and do mtn bike tours. Goodluck....they are in Torrey

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

on yer left
    Apr 2008

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    @jfeiro and @radnasty thanks for the help the cassidy trail looks like it will be perf for my wife!!!
    Thanks

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    If she can ride Mid Mountain she can handle Thunder Mountain. Hit em both as they are right next to each other.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Except Cassidy/Thunder aren't in or really even that close to Capitol Reef/Torrey!
    Closer to Bryce and Panguitch...

never seen many good riding reports around Torrey - it's still waiting for some trails. Sure, you can go ride, but not like more established areas.

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Except Cassidy/Thunder aren't in or really even that close to Capitol Reef/Torrey!
    Closer to Bryce and Panguitch...

It's 100 miles of gorgeous driving. That's pretty close in my book, especially if you make it a loop drive and take 12 so you can stop and have pie at Hell's Backbone Grill: On the grounds of the Boulder Mountain Lodge which is not be missed if at all possible.

He wanted to know where to ride if they were in Torrey and that's where I'd go. if you have a better option by all means share with the class.

mtbr member
    The OP didn't mention wanting to drive 100 miles each way to ride while staying in Torrey but Thunder Mountain is indeed worthy. And the Backbone Grill is the shizzle. The owners are friends of mine and what they are doing to bring a sustainable and tasty product to the table is amazing.

But I digress. Boulder Mountain in between Torrey and Boulder is worth checking out. There is an extensive trail system on the mountain that seems to be mostly frequented by cows but lots of dirt roads and singletrack to explore. I've ridden on the GWT near Bown's Point to Chriss Lake and once did a HAB up the point and then over and down Behanin Creek. Good stuff if you like backcountry riding and solitude.

I haven't ridden it but I've heard good things about the Rosebud trail which is on the side closer to Torrey. You can make a loop with the road to Lower Bowns Reservoir or do a 12 mle out and back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Oh yeah will have to check out Cassidy/Thunder another time i didnt realize it was a 200 mile round trip. We will have to plan a stay another time closer to Bryce.

mtbr member
    Actually it's more than 100 miles from Torrey to Thunder Mountain TH but that stretch of hwy12 is one of the most scenic roads anywhere.

You might want to consider Fish Lake and the ride around Mytoge Mtn. That's only 35 or 40 miles from Torrey. Your wife would probably dig the Shoreline trail. It's a bit more adventurous doing the whole loop. Fish Lake Biking

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Velvet Ridge

There is a trail called Velvet Ridge that is part of the Great Western Trail, so it is also used by ATV's. But you can start right in the town of Torrey, ride north on Sand Creek Rd. and then link onto GWT, Velvet ridge, then back to the highway 24, and ride back into Torrey on the highway. About a 14 mile round trip. Velvet ridge is not technical at all and once you are up on the plateau the grade is pretty easy. Pretty cool views of Boulder Mt. area.