Top of The World - Where's the Love?- Mtbr.com
    Hoops - Big and Small

Top of The World - Where's the Love?

I know their are technical climbers out their - Whats up with the lack of love/pub for this ride?
    Crash_Burn

Bite Me.

Plenty Love!

Good question - TOTW is one my personal favorites, as is the entire area up by Dewey Bridge. Actually I'm glad it doesn't get hammered as much as the rest of the Moab area, and technically I don't think the climb is any more difficult than Amasa Back, Poison Spider or any number of the "classic" rides. There is also a great campground at the Cow Skin spring site just down the road form the trailhead - don't tell anybody though. And, the riding on the Entrada dome that sits to the left of the access road from Dewey Bridge is some of the best free form slickrock since Bartlett Wash - don't tell anybody though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Hoops - Big and Small

Thanks for the reply

cutthroat
    Great Photo - I was wondering after coming off TOTW you could go east until you hit Onion Creek and come back to the highway. Looks like on the map it would be to far for a day trip, maybe a good multiday ride.
    CB

Bite Me.

Kokopelli trail

actually heads down the hill from the trail head to TOTW, passes through a section called Rose garden Hill then crosses through Taylor Ranch which is in the background from the TOTW Killer Viewpoint. I've ridden up from Onion Creek and along the bottom of the cliffs we're standing on just east of the View Point but have never made the connection. It's supposed to be very technical and fun. I also want to explore all the trails that head down to the Dolores from the access road. I've heard you can cross the river, ride up the far side and re-cross and do a big loop. FUN! You shoud seriously check out the Cow Skin Camp ground - vault Sh**ter, picnic tables, nice pinyons and room for three groups. It's sweet and sits right at the bottom of a huge cliff wall. A great place to base camp for 3 or 3 days.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Jan 2004

Couple more photos for ya'

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    I know there are technical climbers out there - Whats up with the lack of love/pub for this ride?
    Crash_Burn
    Just came across this thread and thought I'd share some pics. By the way, I've only done Top of the World one time (end of September last year), but I thought the technical difficulties (and the grunt factor) were exaggerated in the guidebook. I thought technically the ride was much easier than Amasa Back (pre-sanitization), Porcupine Rim, Flat Pass, Poison Spider, Pritchett/Hunter Canyon, Behind the Rocks, Slickrock, or Moab Rim. I'd put it on par with climbing Long Canyon, except I think the sandy section at the top of Long Canyon is a little harder to ride.

Anyway, it's an average ride (for Moab) with unmatched views at the end, in my opinion. Well worth it for the view alone.

bock

mtbr member
    Those are some graet photos bock. If I ever make it there agian, i'll have to do that ride.

Hoops - Big and Small

Love the Pics

Thanks for posting!

I'll be in Moab Mar 16-20, I'll get some spring photo's posted when I get back.

Hoops - Big and Small

Spring 05

Photo's from Top of The World - I climbed while the rest of the crew drove up in the truck.
    The view is worth the ride. I was always very impressed with the Porc Rim overlook, Top of The World has it beat.

Mar 2005
    I am heading down to Moab soon and would like to check out TOTW. Someone mentioned it is in a guide book? Any beta on the trail head, mileage etc would be appreciated. Thanks

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So what else is good in that area, if one were to say base camp at the cowskin spot?

I was considering heading out there 3/31-4/2. I assume there is still snowpack up high on Fisher Mesa. Tried to hit that last October but I was too late and the snow had alreay covered it up. The above mentioned potential loop sounded enticing so I might just have to work that one out.

Hoops - Big and Small

Guide Book

I like the staff at Poison Spider, they have books/maps that has this ride in it.

http://www.poisonspiderbicycles.com/...uct=maps_books

Mileage from Moab to Dewey Bridge is 30-35 miles, From Dewey Bridge to TOTW 8-10 miles.
    I was on vacation and left the driving to somebody else, sorry for the approximation on mileage.
    Dewey Bridge makes a great trail head - there's room for vehicles to park and the river is right their.
    Quote Originally Posted by springfever
    I am heading down to Moab soon and would like to check out TOTW. Someone mentioned it is in a guide book? Any beta on the trail head, mileage etc would be appreciated. Thanks

Hoops - Big and Small

SnowPack

There was no snow on the ground at TOTW - I think the elevation is 7000 feet. There was snow on PorcRim in the shaded areas. Don't know about Fisher Mesa.
    Quote Originally Posted by XTRKona
    So what else is good in that area, if one were to say base camp at the cowskin spot?

I was considering heading out there 3/31-4/2. I assume there is still snowpack up high on Fisher Mesa. Tried to hit that last October but I was too late and the snow had alreay covered it up. The above mentioned potential loop sounded enticing so I might just have to work that one out.

Bite Me.
    Falcon Guides puts out a pretty accurate book on all the Moab trails. TOTW is listed in there with good directions. Camping at Dewey Bridge is good this time of year, crappers and a bit more developed. I like Cow Skin just for its setting and privacy. Also has a vault crapper, picnic tables and fire rings. Will be a bit colder though since it's higher and the cliff wall shades the camp in the morning. Still worth it though in my opinion and it's free. From Dewey Bridge just head up the gravel road - Entrada Bluffs Road. The trailhead for TOTW is about 7 or 8 miles up the road (not sure about the actual mileage but it's really impossible to miss the Trailhead - look for Kokopelli Trail Markers.) Trail head is on the right side of the road after you climb up from CowSkin the ride is all double track - when you hit a fork with a possible right turn option on a flat open meadow after a couple of miles, stay left - that's the only place where you can really make a wrong turn. If you want slickrock, the entrada outcropping is obvious on the lefthand side - awesome freeform riding, watch out for the crytobiotic soils when accessing the slickrock. Ther are 2 or 3 good access points but some riders and ATVers have torn up the fragile soils - BAD!. You can also hook onto the roads that drop down to the Dolores River. Not technically too tough but fun spinning and great views. From Dewey Bridge you can also check out Fisher Towers - great hiking - and Onion Creek road (wet). Options are pretty limitless and no crowds. See the link below to Terra Server for aerial photos of the general vicinity. http://terraserver-usa.com/usgsentry...moab%7cutah%7c
    Last edited by cutthroat; 03-25-2005 at 11:08 AM.

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Nice post. Thanks for the areal shot and beta.

I think Fisher Mesa is quite a bit higher up (probably 8 or 9k at the start) and it is shaded since it slopes downhill to the north, maybe northwest. Regardless, if there is snow in the area I would bet this trail is unridable because there is a good descent right at the start that is directly in a shadow all afternoon. Must have patience.

Mar 2005
    Thanks for all the info... That was exactly what I was looking for and seems like a great ride. Heading that way at the end of April and it should be all clear by then.

mtbr member
    I remember words something to the affect of "Lifts, ledges and corpses" from rider Mel's guidebook about Top of the World. I set out expecting a longer, steeper and gnarlier Amassa Back.

Boy was I dissapointed. I rode it about 2 years ago and I remember a long, steep, loose gravel road to the top. Not really anything "technical" to speak of other than a long, bumpy, loose dirt road. The view was worth every foot of climbing!

A stock 4x4 GMC pickup was at the top of the climb...that should give you an indication of how un-technical it is.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me