Toll Canyon Management Plan - Public Comment/Info Session this Thursday!- Mtbr.com
    Frame Building Moderator

Toll Canyon Management Plan - Public Comment/Info Session this Thursday!

Want to ride midmountain to the Gorgoza/Summit Park area (legally)? Come out to the Basin Rec open house this Thursday at the Summit County Library in Kimball Junction and make your voice heard. As of now, the plan calls for a mix of hiking-only and multi-use trails (IMO it's a pretty reasonable proposal) but Basin Rec needs to hear from those of us who value recreation (especially on 2 wheels) on public lands.

They also should hear plenty of comments about modern (open sight lines, grade reversals, etc) trail building and why it's both safer and more fun for everyone. Basin rec is generally good about this but it can't hurt to remind them, as the plan right now appears to be trying to have a trial gain ~500+ feet of elevation per mile (I'm guessing that's not the final alignment).

Details are here: http://basinrec.maps.arcgis.com/apps...d0ac3978c3e2c0

Show up and say hello and I'll buy you a beer afterwards!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up!

Frame Building Moderator
    For those who didn't make it (I'm guessing that's... everyone) here's a quick recap:
    -About 20 concerned citizens attended. One person (me) rode a bike to the meeting. Sigh.
    -Most were elderly and attending specifically to oppose mountain bike access to Toll Canyon.
    -Online and paper survey results are split about 50/50 on mountain bike access, but they've only gotten about 150 total responses. You can take the survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/77562D8
    -Basin Rec is still working on trailhead access near Gorgoza/Waldeman and hopes to get that accomplished and a trailhead built before doing anything further, so it will probably be a couple of years before anything is actually ready to hike/ride.
    -The staff worked *really* hard on this proposal and they are pretty happy with it (and I am as well). It stands a good chance of being implemented. Emails/letters/surveys from a pro-recreation standpoint can't hurt, though.

Work on securing permission(s) to build a trail to the east to connect Midmountain to Ecker via High Ute and/or parts of Pinebrook is ongoing as well and I was surprised (and pleased) by the level of enthusiasm and optimism that exists on that project. Another one to keep an eye on.

The survey takes <5 minutes, go do it.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    submitted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    For those who didn't make it (I'm guessing that's... everyone) here's a quick recap:
    -About 20 concerned citizens attended. One person (me) rode a bike to the meeting. Sigh.
    -Most were elderly and attending specifically to oppose mountain bike access to Toll Canyon.
    -Online and paper survey results are split about 50/50 on mountain bike access, but they've only gotten about 150 total responses. You can take the survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/77562D8
    -Basin Rec is still working on trailhead access near Gorgoza/Waldeman and hopes to get that accomplished and a trailhead built before doing anything further, so it will probably be a couple of years before anything is actually ready to hike/ride.
    -The staff worked *really* hard on this proposal and they are pretty happy with it (and I am as well). It stands a good chance of being implemented. Emails/letters/surveys from a pro-recreation standpoint can't hurt, though.

Work on securing permission(s) to build a trail to the east to connect Midmountain to Ecker via High Ute and/or parts of Pinebrook is ongoing as well and I was surprised (and pleased) by the level of enthusiasm and optimism that exists on that project. Another one to keep an eye on.

The survey takes <5 minutes, go do it.

-Walt
    Done. Walt, another good place to post this information would be utahmountainbiking.com. I can do so, but it may be better coming from someone who is more invested in the process. I'm in Logan and am happy to write letters and fill out surveys.

If you don't have an account at utahmountainbiking.com , let me know and I will forward the survey on to them. It's a pretty active bunch and I'm sure you could get a pretty good response.

Frame Building Moderator
    Registered and posted over there. Thanks for the heads-up!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    survey completed. Thank you for your effort

Frame Building Moderator
    Park Record wrote up the meeting: Comments solicited on Toll Canyon management plan - The Park Record

They got it about right - NIMBY central. Of course there were only ~15 of them. If you haven't done the survey, do it! If you didn't make it to the first meeting, go to the next one in October!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Completed and hoping to be able to make it to the Oct, 22nd meeting.

Deroymac
    Thanks Walt,

I took the survey which took less than five minutes then gave comments on early MTB in that area and the work done by mountain bikers in maintaining that trail in the late 80's early 90's. I doubt many realize that without the countless hours we put in clearing out deadfall that creekside trail would have remained unusable for any user group.

Thanks again, I'll try to make next meeting.

Dennis
    Last edited by Spoon Farmer; 10-12-2015 at 02:31 PM.

banned
    Sep 2015

We the people ... Interestin

Interesting. ..... :)

Frame Building Moderator
    Management plan approved (meaning, new trail connections from Summit Park and Gorgoza to the MM/Hunter's area) unanimously! Great work to everyone who commented, thanks!

Toll Canyon Management Plan approved - The Park Record

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Cool. Looks like the NIMBYs don't want us biking in their back yard tho' ...

"It appears that it will be at least a couple of years before public access from the I-80 end of the canyon can be arranged. It is our hope that in the move from concept to construction the potentially high costs and usage patterns will cause the board to reassess the need and public good of the proposed multi-use trail and its connection to the Mid-Mountain Trail."

Frame Building Moderator
    It's really just mainly one lady who has a house in upper Pinebrook right near where the trail will be. So a literal NIMBY, in this case, rather than just a BANANA. She lost, she's just a sore loser here and there's pretty much zero chance she gets her way at this point.

I especially liked her comments about "we don't believe the fragile, narrow canyon can sustain a heavy influx of biking traffic or that the trail can be cut without significant damage to the thick, 100-year old forest" - well, how many trees had to be cut down for her house (and the road leading to it) to get built on the "fragile" mountainside? The Basin Rec staff were visibly struggling to remain polite to her at times during the meeting (especially when it became clear she hadn't actually read the proposed management plan), I felt a little bad for them.

The parking and access will take a little time to figure out but Basin Rec and partners did a really thorough job over several years planning this; there are not going to be any big surprises on cost or potential usage patterns. It's not that expensive to build what they are proposing anyway, especially given the funding they have at their disposal for exactly this kind of project.

Once complete, you'll theoretically be able to connect (legally) Lookout Peak to Heber on entirely singletrack!

-Walt

Your Best Friend
    Thanks for all the updates Walt and for your time spent being involved.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Once complete, you'll theoretically be able to connect (legally) Lookout Peak to Heber on entirely singletrack!

-Walt
    That's a pretty cool thought.

Also could stretch it to Provo via Solitude-Alta-157-AF etc.

I've always thought the next key bit of trail would be at the top of Big, from Guardsmans heading south into Brighton. Those big pines are begging for a trail. I guess I better get myself to one of them-there meetings and get involved!

Frame Building Moderator
    Is that Wasatch county officially? I'm never sure where the borders are. Wasatch has been awesome collaborating with Summit and various advocacy groups to get trails built. Salt Lake, on the other hand, can't seem to get their act together at all. I have no idea how Morgan county feels about the GWT and other trails that connect in from Lookout, but I do know those trails don't see much use or maintenance (which is a shame).

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Wow, that's awesome!

Management plan approved (meaning, new trail connections from Summit Park and Gorgoza to the MM/Hunter's area) unanimously!