Which tires should I bring to Moab?- Mtbr.com
    blithering idiot

Which tires should I bring to Moab?

Going to Moab for the first time in March and had these questions...

I usually ride IRC Serac XC here in TN, but it sounds like they will suffer on the terrain out in UT. Anyway, I also have a set of Hookworms, Fire XC Pro's and Veloceraptors, the latter two being 2.1. Will the Hookworm's work well at Slickrock trail? I would think they would, but have never ridden it...

Anyway, also, which will work better on the other terrain out there, the Veloceraptors or the Fire XC, or even then Serac XC(although they have thin sidewalls)?

Thanks

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2.3 or bigger

I would go bigger then 2.1 especially on front. I ride 2.3 or 2.5 when im in moab. The nokian NBX always seem to work well for me. This fall I bought some 2.5 maxxis high rollers. Definitly heavy on climbs but great for the downhills. I probably use the 2.5 on front and 2.3 nokians on the rear. The climbs in moab a techinical but relitivly short compared too colorado climbs so the extra weight is worth it
    BSG

user-created
    Would Hookworms be fun on Slickrock? Yes.
    Is it worth changing tires? No.

Dec 2003
    hookworms are ungodly heavy (~1400g) and i can't imagine trying to bust some of the moab climbs while riding them. for a skatepark or street they are fine, but doing a 10 mile trail ride w/ elevation gain ain't my idea of fun... unless you are very strong or don't mind pushing, i'd take them off. any decent width tire w/ good sidewall strength should be fine.

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by <narlus>
    hookworms are ungodly heavy (~1400g) and i can't imagine trying to bust some of the moab climbs while riding them. for a skatepark or street they are fine, but doing a 10 mile trail ride w/ elevation gain ain't my idea of fun... unless you are very strong or don't mind pushing, i'd take them off. any decent width tire w/ good sidewall strength should be fine.
    I ride IRC Tomashi DH's (1400g) on my trail hardtail all year long, and though heavy, running 'em sure beats fixing flats every 30 minutes on a 20- mile ride. Of course, I'm not out to win any races. Whatever gets me to the top...

Yes, Hookworms are also heavy, but IMHO they'd kill it on Slickrock. Slickrock's climbs are generally short and steep; you get enough of a run at 'em, and you can pretty much clear most without a problem. For the rest, there's the 22t ring. If there's one trail in Moab where Hookworms would excel, Slickrock would be it. And you wouldn't chew a more expensive set of treads that would need to be replaced after a day. YMMV. Have fun.

Dec 2003
    bartlett would also rock for slicks, and is much of a 'playground' for the hookworms than slickrock is (at least the way i rode it, following the white hash marks; maybe there are super-secret neat little areas to session...probably, as moab seems to have a ton of terrain to hide these nooks)..

i had one (maybe two?) flats when i was @ moab (6 rides total), and i think i just ran regular tires (geax blade, motoraptor?). the tires were fairly worn when i went and pretty trashed at the end, but it's not like you need 42d tires out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've ridden a ton of good rock tires in Moab and St. George. The Fire XCs are good, the Fire FRs are better, Velociraptors are good, Motoraptors are good, anything with something approaching a solid or near-solid ridge down the center is terrible.

Last year, almost by luck, I tried a set of Kenda Blue Grooves made from the Stick-E rubber (2.1 or 2.3, they're both pretty big for their stated size).

OMG. That extra stick on the rock turns mere mortals into near-gods. The only downside is that they wear very quickly in that environment. One week on the rock, and my rear tire was toast. Who cares? An extra $35 for all that traction! I'll be mounting up a new set for the April trip.

Members who have read this thread: 0