mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tire setup for September Moab trip

Searched the forum but didn't see what I was looking for directly. I'm headed to Moab in two weeks and debating a tire switch on my Intense Primer 29er. Both tires I have are fairly new but I know the key thing to remember is that sidewall protection is more important than tread, especially on the rear. The front is an Ardent 2.4 EXO and the rear is an Ardent Race 2.35 EXO. Any thoughts as to whether this is enough sidewall protection, the right tread choice, etc?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you plan do a bunch of slick rock stuff and have a bunch of old tires lying around, I would slap on those old tires. No reason to kill/burn up new rubber in a few days.
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    EXO has been enough sidewall protection for me in Moab. In fact, most upgraded sidewalls, such as Snakeskin have been sufficient for me in Moab and Hurricane. I've probably hit Moab 10 days a year for 15 years and I've never torn a sidewall.

One of my trips was with 2.4 Ardent EXO's front and back.

Old tires are better, but yours should hold up fine for 100 miles or so in Moab. I doubt you'll see any wear to speak of on those tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Maxxis EXO is great. Schwalbe and Conti no so much. Moab definitely exposes bike weaknesses.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I've never had tire problems riding Moab for as much as 2 months a year for about 15 years now. The sandstone gives great traction with just about anything and few places could ever rip a sidewall unless you are going at some awful speed and weight. Wife and I are riding Ardents and they work fine. LOTS of them out there. I've also rode Specialized Captains there a lot and others long ago.

Not the same advice for the volcanic stuff around Vegas. Minions there.

It seems you haven't rode Moab before so you'll get a thrill on the steep slick rock traverses. Unless the rock is really wet you'll be able to traverse some steep slopes and not lose traction. Really fun when you get used to it. There is some good stuff on Rocky Tops, The Slick Rock Bike Trail, and Bartlett Wash. Bartlett is the most beautiful of the local slick rock. Memorable and fun!
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    I've never had tire problems riding Moab for as much as 2 months a year for about 15 years now. The sandstone gives great traction with just about anything and few places could ever rip a sidewall unless you are going at some awful speed and weight. Wife and I are riding Ardents and they work fine. LOTS of them out there. I've also rode Specialized Captains there a lot and others long ago.

Not the same advice for the volcanic stuff around Vegas. Minions there.

It seems you haven't rode Moab before so you'll get a thrill on the steep slick rock traverses. Unless the rock is really wet you'll be able to traverse some steep slopes and not lose traction. Really fun when you get used to it. There is some good stuff on Rocky Tops, The Slick Rock Bike Trail, and Bartlett Wash. Bartlett is the most beautiful of the local slick rock. Memorable and fun!
    ^ This.
    Since its mostly sandstone, there is not a lot of sharp edge rock. I've ridden exo ardents front and rear and never had a problem.

One word of advice that has worked well for me is to run more tire psi in Moab. I run about 5-8 psi more in Moab. The sandstone provides all the traction you need and extra psi protects rims and tires don't roll over as much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the advice. I won't make a change and hope for the best.

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Not all EXO sidewalls from Maxxis offer the same protection. Your Ardent Race likely has 120tpi printed on it. 120tpi tires are lighter weight and offer less protection than EXO tires with 60tpi.

If you are willing to purchase new tires prior to your Moab trip to ensure maximum smiling, get some 60tpi EXO's in one of Maxxis' more aggressive tread patterns (DHF, DHR2, HR2, Aggressor, etc.) They will do much better in Moab's rocky, loose terrain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If you're not there already, I'd spring for a heavier tire in the rear at least. An Ardent at the minimum. It's sandstone, but will still hammer tires depending on the trails you ride and your style of riding.

Definitely add some extra PSI

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just got back from my week in Moab and almost made it through without any tire issues. I went with the Ardent 2.4 on the front and the Ardent Race 2.35 on the rear. Had no issues for the first five days. On the last day, on Porcupine Rim I punctured the rear tire on the tread, not the sidewall. I was able to plug it and pump it back up and it held for the remaining 10 miles of the ride.

If I were to do it again, I would have followed the advice and had a little more tread on the rear.