Which tire for Moab trip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Which tire for Moab trip

Forgive me if this has been covered, feel free to redirect or ignore.

My first Moab trip coming up and I'm wondering about tires. I'll be riding a Specialized Epic 29er (tell me if that is bad idea) and have a few tires to choose from"

Stock S-works The Captian Control front with Sworks Fast Trak LK (low knob) rear

Maxxis Ignitors

Kenda Small Block 8s

Thanks for any thoughts, they'll hlep me make the most of this trip.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Definitely Kenda Small Block 8's. Both front and rear if you got 'em, 2.1's if you can handle 'em.

Homer's problem child
    Don't listen to SLCRMR, he's always screwing with people.

You want Stan's "The Crow", see if you can get it in a 70A or 80 durometer, the harder the better.

http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/products_id/334

Fill them as much as possible with Stan's sealant, like probably 2-3 quarts per tire, maybe add a mixture of fine sand to it as well, 2 parts Stan's fluid to 1 part sand, then inflate to riding pressure with nitrogen, or helium.

Regards,
    BY
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Bored Carp
    I have totally missed these threads.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Don't listen to SLCRMR, Bortis or Chuky, they're always screwing with people.

See, for Moab what you want is Girth. And by Girth I mean some sort of tyre that measures at least 58mm in diameter. Any tyre with a lot of Girth is going to float in the sand and roll over the rocks with aplomb and/or authority.

I wouldn't exceed half a quart of Stans per tyre because of the potential environmental disaster.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Well I didn't know we were talking tubeless here-sorry. The OP didn't specify.

Caffelatex is a much better sealant than Stans for a Stan's Crow tire. However, I would run a front Crow with a tube filled with Stans as an option. Actually a Small Block 8/Crow mix would be fun or a Crow over a Small Block 8 with a tube filled with Caffelatex.

But Bortis is right, I'd fill those suckers to brim with sealant as pinch flats abound down there. My rule of thumb for Moab is that if you can hear fluid sloshing around when spinning your tire to add more until that sound goes away.

However, I wouldn't use sand in your tyres-that's just dumb. If I'm going to use sand in Moab it's to fill my outer helmet carrier on my pack to cushion the impact on falls.

EDIT: Here's a shot of my Moab bike (silver one in back) the Salsa in the front is my shuttelin' bike. I used to run Crow's exclusively but then got a grassroots sponsorship with Kenda and switched to Small Blocks. I haven't looked back.

Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 08-26-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH

See, for Moab what you want is Girth. Any tyre with a lot of Girth is going to float in the sand and roll over the rocks.

I wouldn't exceed half a quart of Stans per tyre because of the potential environmental disaster.
    'Tyre'? I didn't knjow yjou were British. Learn something new every day.

Homer's problem child

See, for Moab what you want is Girth. And by Girth I mean some sort of tyre that measures at least 58mm in diameter. Any tyre with a lot of Girth is going to float in the sand and roll over the rocks with aplomb and/or authority.

Yeah, that's a great opinion/answer, especially if you are seeking the wrong one...

Girth is a bad idea, it folds in corners and gets caught on things all while slowing you down and making you look stoopid to the Bro-cals. You want something narrow, smooth and high pressure so it has mega grip on Slickrock trial, which is the only trail worth riding in Moab by the way, maybe Poison Spider if you are feeling like changing it up a little. On the few (few like 1 or 2 max) sandy sections it cuts deep into the sand and contacts the grippy smooth rock below.

Seriously.

BY

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    So is it 'tire' or 'tyre'?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    So is it 'tire' or 'tyre'?
    1) It's Tyre.

+

2) Girth is paramount.

+

3) Rounded knob profile so you don't feel an awkward transition as you lean the bike on rock.

+

4) Don't ride Poison Spider.

=

5) Maybe a Nevegal or Rampage in the 29 x 2.35" colourway. Or a Maxxis Ardent in 29 x2.4" flavour.

and

6) Chumley, I see you lurking.

and

7) Don't let these guys get you down. They have been circling like bored carp waiting for someone to throw a "which tyre" crumb into our smelly pond. I am the only one that has good advice to offer. There is also a MOAB sticky at the top of the Utah forum which is a good resource.

1/4 semi-pro
    i lke to use biger ones in maob. what trails ar you goingg to ride? i usualy run 3.0 on the front and a 2.7 on th back. where are you coming from?
    not anti-bobsled

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    5) Maybe a Nevegal or Rampage in the 29 x 2.35" colourway. Or a Maxxis Ardent in 29 x2.4" flavour.JMH
    I would only run that combination if I owned a Niner. In my experience that tire combo doesn't work well with other brands.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    3) Rounded knob profile so you don't feel an awkward transition as you lean the bike on rock.
    At least you gave him one bit of correct advice. Same thing holds on sidewalk in late fall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    I have totally missed these threads.
    Seriously. (double ententre intended)

And, JMH, excellent use of aplomb. Makes tyre seem totally legit.

But since we're talking tires here. . . I recommend 2.35 single ply Nevagals with 22 PSI, ghetto-tubeless with BMX cruiser-class cut tubes and go with caulking rather than sealant. Best for the drier conditions of Moab.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Valve Hole

Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    Seriously. (double ententre intended)

And, JMH, excellent use of aplomb. Makes tyre seem totally legit.

But since we're talking tires here. . . I recommend 2.35 single ply Nevagals with 22 PSI, ghetto-tubeless with BMX cruiser-class cut tubes and go with caulking rather than sealant. Best for the drier conditions of Moab.
    Caulk? Really? Anti-microbal or does it really matter given how dry it is down there when it's not raining?

BTW, don't bother ever trying JB Cold Weld. It doesn't work. Can't get the tire (or tyre) to seal up properly and it f#cks your rims all up, even with Stan's yellow tape. That stuff will get into your nipples/spokes and you'll never get them off and you won't be able to re-inflate your tires (or tyres) or even let air out once that stuff sets up inside the valve hole.

Ruined 3 sets of wheels trying to get that stuff to work last year. I've had ok success with Crazy Glue and epoxy on the bead but only on Maxxis tires. You just have to hit it with the air compressor all night and cover the leaks quickly but it will hold eventually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    At least you gave him one bit of correct advice. Same thing holds on sidewalk in late fall.

I'm pretty sure we dealt with sidewalk tyres in this thread. Don't go confusing him. There is already some serious misinformation floating around out there.

Allright, stop, collaborate and listen.

While yes, girth is very important, it's not the only consideration. Why has not one person mentioned thread count? IMHO this is by far the most important thing to look at when buying "Moab tyres". 60 is far too low you'll pinch flat on pea gravel, 120 will definitely increase the Gunderson Factor (it's a measure of harshness for those not in the know) to unacceptable levels and damage will occur to the low speed damping circuit on all Fox, Marzocchi, Manitou and most RockShox (post Sram-takeover) models.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the help. I'm glad I could provide an outlet for the pent up humor. I think the advice to run SB8 tyres was serious so that's what I'll do. Right now they're setup tubless.

BY, It's really funny to say I should put in 2-3 quarts sealant. That's way too much, and adding sand would make it really heavy! To think I was in the middle of doing this last night when realized you were joking. "The Crow" was not on the list to choose from.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by elstaub
    Thanks for the help. I'm glad I could provide an outlet for the pent up humor. I think the advice to run SB8 tyres was serious so that's what I'll do. Right now they're setup tubless.

BY, It's really funny to say I should put in 2-3 quarts sealant. That's way too much, and adding sand would make it really heavy! To think I was in the middle of doing this last night when realized you were joking. "The Crow" was not on the list to choose from.
    You're making a mistake not going with more Girth but you'll have fun anyway, I'm sure.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Just go easy on those Moab sidewalks as they can get a bit sketchy in places. Especially right outside of any store that sells t-shirts 'washed' in Moab dirt that sell for $35 and sport any variation of a kokepelli riding a mountain bike or driving a Jeep.

Chumley for prez!
    You're making a mistake not going with more Girth but you'll have fun anyway, I'm sure.
    We haven't had a thread like this in ages. Girth is cool, but I was told longer tires are where it's at. How about rollin on some 36ers like SLCRMR's silver ride? If you insist on running a 29er tire then I would suggest the WTB dissent, with 750mL of stans sealant per wheel.

I am just waiting for someone to post up that Sedona is so much better than Moab and the people are so much friendlier, blah blah blah.
    Oh yeah and +1,000,000 for poison spider

Fragglepuss The Chaste

A Modest Approach

Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    How about rollin on some 36ers like SLCRMR's silver ride?
    Well, I didn't want to rub that in anyone's face and actually wanted to keep my secret weapon on the down-low.
    I actually get 8% more rolling efficiency and a 5.42% better angle of attack with the 36" wheels over a 29'er. I'm waiting for my buddy at NASA to send me the results vs. a 26" wheel and a 26 front/24 rear combo, but that may take another week or so.

I could care less about 650B's. Seriously. Those wheels are just for people who have nothing better to do than post up Time for a 650B Niner, how bout it!, Maxxis High Roller 26x2.35 650B conversion possibility? or Intense M6 650B option??? Threads all day long. So that comparrison will not be calculated on my dime.

I would not recommend a 650B tyre or tires for Moab.

BTW: Is 'tyre' Neu British Colonial for 'tires'?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    but I was told longer tires are where it's at.
    Since wheels roll continuously regardless of diameter, longer tyres only have the advantage if you interrupt contact with the ground. For instance, in the distance between two ledge drops that force you to leave the ground, you could theoretically expect better interim traxxion. This is why you sometimes see riders with longer tyres making use of bunnyhops or booters to take advantage of the increased tyre gryp.

I still stand by Girth as being a bigger advantage in a wider variety of conditions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

I hope to meet you...

"i lke to use biger ones in maob. what trails ar you goingg to ride?" Are you drunk, or just a poor typer? 8 grammatical errors in an 15 sentence post. Am I missing some obvious inside joke about poor riting skilz?

"I am Chumley's user name" I wonder if you are a local to Moab? Is this what I should expect? You asked a question and gave some recommendations. 3.0 won't fit in my frame BTW. I'm from NC. Love my local MTB options, have 60 miles of trail within an hour drive, but nothing as amazing as Moab. Thanks for contributing.

Thanks for being helpful, can't wait for my trip to Moab!!!!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I'm from NC.
    WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO?

The SB8 will get pretty good traction everywhere but the sand, and should handle exceptionally on the off-camber rock of trails like Slickrock. My only reservation about that tire is the size. You won't get much floatation and you will need to run higher pressures to avoid pinch flatting or damaging your rim. If that tyre were available in a 2.35 with heavier sidewalls, it would be spectacular. It's a good feeling to have a big, tough, sure-footed tire in the desert.

I ride the 2.4 Maxxis Ardent on my RIP and it has been a stellar performer so far, both in the desert and up North.

Oh, and you have to forgive Chumley, he hasn't been the same since The Accident.

JMH

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

SB8 seems the choice

That's two votes for SB8. Thanks. I have been running lower pressure with tubless for a good while and haven't had any pinch flats, (now I'm jinxed) and there are a few local rocky areas that would have exposed ovbious problems.

I watched some youtube moab videos, looks incredible, but I think I'm scared of narrow trails that fall steeply away.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    but I think I'm scared of narrow trails that fall steeply away.
    They are scarier in person.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    They are scarier in person.
    Some serious morans in this thread... over and over again in these forums a bunch of clowns show up when a guy asks a question and make do uchey comments or hysterically scream "search". Pathetic and boring.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by round00
    Some serious morans in this thread... over and over again in these forums a bunch of clowns show up when a guy asks a question and make do uchey comments or hysterically scream "search". Pathetic and boring.
    Yet we all know how to spell "moron," so that's a small shred of hope to cling to.

Except perhaps Chumley. There's not much hope for Chumley.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yet we all know how to spell "moron," so that's a small shred of hope to cling to.

Except perhaps Chumley. There's not much hope for Chumley.
    Guy, if you'd been around longer than 2005, you'd know that it's spelled with an "a". Go make yourself feel better by flaming a guy who asks about a tire..........

mtbr member
    Guy, if you'd been around longer than 2005, you'd know that it's spelled with an "a". Go make yourself feel better by flaming a guy who asks about a tire..........
    Yeah, well.... YOUR MOM!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Hmmm....well I'm glad you joined the 'bunch of clowns' and finally found your do uchey calling. Why don't you back to playing in your pathetic and boring regional thread and leave our clown posse' alone.

Homer's problem child
    Look pal, June 2004 has nothing on May 2004 for registration, and the site crashed just before that and everyone had to re-register, so buck up little man...

I also find it funny that you chose the one person actually giving decent advice to target your reply.

BY

P.S. I saw you on TV at a Tea Party rally. Nice mustache and mullet.

1/4 semi-pro
    That's two votes for SB8. Thanks. I have been running lower pressure with tubless for a good while and haven't had any pinch flats, (now I'm jinxed) and there are a few local rocky areas that would have exposed ovbious problems.

I watched some youtube moab videos, looks incredible, but I think I'm scared of narrow trails that fall steeply away.
    yuo are going to need biger tires. you will tare the sidewals on those tires becasue they are to thin. they willbe ok on slickrock but not the othr trails.
    not anti-bobsled

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    I also find it funny that you chose the one person actually giving decent advice to target your reply.
    Boo hoo, my panties are in such a punch, someone asked about a tire....

Question: If you get annoyed by someone asking a frequently asked question... why even bother opening the thread, and even more so, why bother responding to it?

Me guess thy answer is that you enjoy your panties being up your ass crack. Just a guess.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hmmmm, so it seems maybe I'll want two sets of tires and switch depending on what trails, or I'll just do my best with SB8. Then I will think dearly of you guys whilst I attempt to fix the sidewall way back on Horsethief. At least it's a nice view?

Homer's problem child
    Me guess thy answer is that you enjoy your panties being up your ass crack. Just a guess.
    Good guess! You got me...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Boo hoo, my panties are in such a punch, someone asked about a tire....
    We are morons because we don't give straight answers. You are a guy? moron? jackass? that points out that we don't give straight answers that doesn't give any answers. Well played, sir. You are really cutting through the clutter here with your no-nonsense indignance.

JMH

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Obviously... you guys that spaz out when someone asks a frequently asked question are all the same, and I'm always left wondering: if it causes you so much angst, why open the threads (over and over again)?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    At the end of the day, after schlogging through the mire, I did learn the opinion of some that said go with SB8. And was warned by others that I needed more girth and strength for other trails.

Thanks for the help. Latest plan is to run SB8 at SR, and more knobby tires at other trails, all tubefull, cause my ghetto 2bliss setup is a PITA.

I think they respond to 'annoying another tire posts' simply because it's fun, and if you're willing to read between the crap (errr humor) they do provide help. Thanks for both.

Next I'm gonna ax "What's a good trail to ride in Moab, I've never been there?" and is it still all 3.2 beer?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    and is it still all 3.2 beer?
    Glad you asked! Check this out: http://www.epicbrewing.com/

Opened this spring in SLC, they ONLY brew full-strength beers and some of them are mighty fine. They should have a few at the liquor store in Moab. You DO know where the liquor store in Moab is?

Utah State Liquor Store #27
    55 West 200 South
    Moab, Utah.
    (435) 259-5314
    Hours: 11am to 9pm

Chumley for prez!

Now that's some "girth"....you need to lay off the hohos yelltzen! I think that thong is made of 36er tubes.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Next I'm gonna ax "What's a good trail to ride in Moab, I've never been there?" and is it still all 3.2 beer?
    Well, based on another recent thread here lets start with what not to ride: Poison Spider. Unless you're a German tourist in a Farabee rental Jeep who hasn't driven a clutch in 15 years.

Although not as cool with the cool kids, I actually like riding Sovereign Loop when I pull into town late in the day. Quick ride, close to town. Good way to stretch the legs...and where tire choice is less of an issue. Not as likely to leave there bloody with the wife and kids crying as happens at the Slickrock Trail parking lot where the mini-van with Michigan plates shows up and leaves 15 minutes later for the clinic, never to return.

Members who have read this thread: 0