Tire Choice for Xterra Nationals in Ogden- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Tire Choice for Xterra Nationals in Ogden

Hey guys,
    New England rider planning on doing the Xterra race in September in Ogden/Snowbasin. I'm riding Bontragers 29-3 tires in size 2.3 and I'm thinking they might be a bit heavy/beefy for out west. I'm torn between the 29-1 or 2 (basically the same tread pattern but the 2 is a little knobbier) and also can get the 2.0 or 2.2 in either. Anyone have any suggestions for me? (I'd liked to stick to Bontrager as my shop can get me deals on them and I've yet to have any issues with Bontrager stuff).

Looking forward to it. I have a few friends who have done that course and they rave about it. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If the course is the same as it was a few years ago when it climbed from the lake to the top of snowbasin, with a only a short decent back to the resort then 2.3's are definatly too heavy. I suggest 2.0 or smaller in the lowest rolling resistance possible.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Not sure what folks are using for racing, but Maxxis Ardents are pretty popular around here. There's lot's of loose chunk. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm running x king front race king rear 2.2. Its the same coure. 6mi up 1mi down 4mi up. So the fastest tire you can track down. The first couple is a gravel double track. Then it switches is to smooth single track. There is two small rock gardens full of baby head rocks in the down section. All and all its hard pack with A little moon dust on top here and there .

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How about some Kenda Small Block 8s? There seems to be tires with lower rolling resistance but I don't want to totally sacrifice traction in the name of rolling resistance. If I give up any more block height, then I start to cross over into the semi-slick tires and I'm not looking to go that route.