Tire choice- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tire choice

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

Tire choice

I spend a portion of every summer hiking, climbing and camping on the West Slope and insouthern Utah. This year, I'm going to bring my hardtail 29in and my cyclocross for longer, maintained stuff. I imagine my motoraptors will be just fine for any forest singletrack or short jaunts on dirt roads, like in Canyonlands, San Juans, etc., but what should I be looking for for my 29in to negociate slickrock or the sandy stuff? Also, will my mildly knobbed cyclocross tires stand up to the steady dose of rock and sand on the bladed roads, or should I be looking for a very specific sort of tire for that kind of abuse? Thanks for your input and maybe I'll see some of you out there and learn something this summer!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I rode a set of 2.4 motoraptors on quite a bit of moab last year and they did just fine. I also swaped to a 2.5/2.7 combo of maxxis tires and really didn't notice a whole lot of difference. I think most places on the rock out there the traction is so high most tires will perform really well. The wider tires probably do better in the sandy areas. I did some road biking out there as well and just rode whatever tires I already had on there, conti grand prix 3000's and they worked fine as well.

A cheap good tire like the motoraptor is probably a great choice for moab just because yoy can chew through a set of tires in a hurry. A buddy took a set of new nokian 3.0s down there and in a week his rear was around 50% tread.

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

Sounds good

Thanks Todd. I'll take my motos and try to find some nanos to take along as some people on the 29in board said they would be good in sand as well as on the rock.

mtbr member

29er Nanos for Moab / Southern UT

I'd go with the Nano's for your 29er in Southern Utah for all around riding. I haven't taken my 29er to Moab or S. Utah yet, but I have ridden Moab w/ 26" Nano's and they were a good tire. I think a 29er Nano would be even better. I ride my 29er in the SL Wasatch area w/ Motos and am happy with them.

The last few years in Moab/S. Utah I've been on 26" fatties, so I think a larger volume tire would be a good 29er bet, but since there aren't really any options.....although, I guess a Schwalbe big apple 29x2.3 would be probably be great on SlickRock, but everywhere else it wouldn't have enough bite.

CX tires...I'd want something with more sidewall protection than a light race CX tire...maybe a conti twister.

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

nanos

Yeah, the nanos sound like a good idea, from several sources. I've been looking for something with a high tpi for the sidewall protection you mentioned for the cross bike. I did have some Specialized Infinities on there for training/pleasure riding but the things are so damned heavy to spin up, because I'm so scrawny. I'm probably dreaming as I look for something of moderate weight with tough sidewalls. Good ideas. Thanks. I was thinking about getting some Big Apples for some beach action later this summer, recommended by Cloxxki, so, it might be fun to get some for the 29er and try them on a limited slickrock sortie.