Tips for Gooseberry- Mtbr.com
    Green Mojo

Tips for Gooseberry

I am driving to St George this week and will plan to ride a few trails with my son. We plan to hit Gooseberry, and I was wondering if any one has any specific tips or general helpful information for this trail.

We are both intermediate riders with some slickrock experience, but I must admit I am a little nervous about the exposure I have heard about on this trail.

Can't wait!

bikerneil

mtbr member
    there are only a couple of spots with exposure but don't worry, it's not Portal like exposure... You always have a choice to stay away from the edge...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Exposure isn't that bad on the goose, JEM has much more exposure. Although JEM is also a very fun trail. I just suggest that if you do get uncomfortable, get off and walk it, or just take it really easy. No reason to be stupid about it.

Nov 2007
    Gooseberry Mesa merits great caution. I rode it once by myself last Winter and got a scare. I fell and got away with minor cuts and bruises. Could have been much worse.

I think this trail is tricky because the trail has lot's of 3-6 foot exposures that sneak up on you. You'll power up an obstacle and suddenly find yourself next to a sharp dropoff that could easily break an ankle, wrist or collarbone with a fall. Slickrock at Moab is alot safer because the rock is bigger, more open and transitions aren't as sharp. Also, the g.m. trail is a mix of slickrock and dirt so there's more ground obstacles like roots and rocks.

I do think this is a really fun trail, you just need to be very observant and cautious.

What day are we riding?
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/goose.htm

My favorite is to ride it in a figure 8 as mentioned in the link. Hidden Canyon is a hoot.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/goose.htm

My favorite is to ride it in a figure 8 as mentioned in the link. Hidden Canyon is a hoot.
    I second that......What he said.

mtbr member

this is one of my favs

my advice would be to take it slow, and have fun. Ive taken a lot of intermediate riders on that trail, and they all seem to do well, soem of the steeper climbs and descents you might want to walk.

Members who have read this thread: 0