Time to allow for Whole Enchilada ride?- Mtbr.com
    I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

Time to allow for Whole Enchilada ride?

I am trying to get a better feel for how long this ride takes to accomplish. I had figured it as a good half day ride for a fit and accomplished small group of riders. But, I spoke to the shuttle folks and they pegged it as an 8 to 10 hour ride from Burro down and estimated Hazzard down as 6 hours. I have to imagine they are covering themselves as they have no idea what kind of riders we are, whatever we may claim to be. Then I read a few reports of the entire ride being 6 hours, seemingly at a moderate but busy pace.

I will be there next week, 3 of us, all very good riders, but nothing elite, and I am the 'leader' as I have the most time in Moab, the most fitness, and likely the most experience with longer rides. I want to make a good decision so I do not drag the other two guys into a 10 hour death march but I hate to go all the way there and not ride the entire thing....kinda grates at me.

So if it really is more than 6 hours for the Burro Down to Porc Rim, than I will begin at Hazzard and allow for mistakes and picture taking, etc.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You may have this recent thread for the 6 hour estimate:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UM...pic.php?t=4999

We are heading down next weekend as well and are planning on Burro down. We have done the porcupine rim plenty and figured that if time inexplicably went too long we could ride out Sand flat road as a last resort. Our shuttle is at 8:30 leaving most of the day so I don't anticipate needing to do that.

Seems like you could almost walk 26.2 miles in 8-10 hrs.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Yes, that is the one.

Quote Originally Posted by sbstumpy
    You may have this recent thread for the 6 hour estimate:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UM...pic.php?t=4999

We are heading down next weekend as well and are planning on Burro down. We have done the porcupine rim plenty and figured that if time inexplicably went too long we could ride out Sand flat road as a last resort. Our shuttle is at 8:30 leaving most of the day so I don't anticipate needing to do that.

Seems like you could almost walk 26.2 miles in 8-10 hrs.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Hi Mtroy, what day do you have this planned? My little group was gonna hit this on saturday the 27th. I have a truck, my group and yours could go up as one with a shuttle driver (wife). Let me know if you want to hit it together? and yes we are all capable. Later.
    SHITBIRD

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Hey, I appreciate the offer! We will be there on Wed, however. Have a great ride!

mt

Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Hi Mtroy, what day do you have this planned? My little group was gonna hit this on saturday the 27th. I have a truck, my group and yours could go up as one with a shuttle driver (wife). Let me know if you want to hit it together? and yes we are all capable. Later.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Hey, either of you guys with the group heading up from Austin Wed. and stopping here in Albq. to do White Mesa on the way? If so Im the Guy you are meeting there.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    I am down for this if the offer is still on the table. I will be down for work from Wednesday to Saturday and hope to hit this ride while I am there. Let me know.

doc

should know better.....
    I did Hazard down in 3 1/2 hours with a group of 4, stopping for food/drink/views, but no major mechanicals. Didn't seem like we were killing ourselves either, just fast paced ride. No sessioning of any stunts/features, just one or two re-rides of spots that some of us wanted to clean... We have all done numerous Moab trips, and know Porc Rim very well. only one guy was a newbie, and he just walked the stuff he wasn't comfortable with, not wasting time trying to suss it out.

mtbr member
    Helimech My group of 3 or 4 will be there and doing this Saturday allso. 2 of us are pro downhillers in Colorado and the other 2 are advanced riders themselfs. I think I've done the whole enchalada but not sure I usually drop in at the cattle guard. But twice have droped in way the hell up some road at the base of the Lasales is that the whole burrito ? Any who we would be down with helping out with shuttle fees if you could squezz 4 more in. I've got a nice 4 bike bike rack that goes into a 2" reciver we can use off my truck. We'll be camping in a camper off sand flats PM me if your interested in hooking up guys! Coop

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcolo96
    Helimech My group of 3 or 4 will be there and doing this Saturday allso.
    Check you PM's.
    SHITBIRD

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Well, we ended up doing Hazzard down to town in 5 hrs, the 4 of us. Very moderate pace, pictures, one guy needed waiting for.

I figure I could have shaved an hour off of it by myself, especially with a longer travel bike. That was a pretty rough ride, but scenic. Porc Rim always impresses with the views into Castle Valley and the Oaks and Aspens were turning colors in the high country.

We were all glad we did the 3/4 enchilada version!
    Blog Ramblings

crash and burn at 45
    anyone give an update on conditions this week, would be greatly appreciated. Looking to do burro down this upcoming weekend and hoping the snow will stay away

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Rode from Burro down on Saturday. Snowed at Burro Pass, along with lightning, etc. while we were up there. It was a little scary to say the least. Snow covered the trail - probably two to three inches up there, maybe more. Still an epic ride, and it will likely be good this weekend, but we got pounded on Saturday afternoon.
    Last edited by drboudreaux; 09-29-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Glutton for punishment

We were there Saturday...

There were three of us in the Spider Shuttle up to Burro on Saturday - hail, rain, snow, sliding down a mountain with no jacket covered in ice and ending at the river 7 hours later @ 90 degrees made for an epic day! Good, messy, scary, FUN.

Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    Rode from Burro down on Saturday. Snowed at Burro Pass, along with lightning, etc. while we were up there. It was a little sary to say the least. Snow covered the trail - probably two to three inches up there, maybe more. Still an epic ride, and it will likely be good this weekend, but we got pounded on Saturday afternoon.

Shattering Glass
    I rode from town on saturday to Warner campground and dropped into Hazard around 11:30 under threatening skies. Total time was 6.5 hrs back to the new bridge over the Colorado. Solo riding yielded an unabridged ride through this beautiful country. It shouldn't take you more than 3 hours from the top of Hazard unless your really dogging it. Don't miss the right after the cow grate and fence; if I didn't see 30 riders that passed upper porc sintrak because they were flying down on those couch on wheels with full face helmets and drooped all the way down to Sand Flats road. Skip the shuttle, it's very rewarding but do drop some water up above with some goodies. Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    Rode from Burro down on Saturday. Snowed at Burro Pass, along with lightning, etc. while we were up there. It was a little scary to say the least. Snow covered the trail - probably two to three inches up there, maybe more. Still an epic ride, and it will likely be good this weekend, but we got pounded on Saturday afternoon.
    Glad to see you got a ride up . I felt bad, we left around 9 and I didn't hear from ya. Rode down with the crazy fast mister colo96, this dude cleaned that wicked steep V chute on the LPS section. Good to see ScottN made it up as well, being he's a fellow AZer.
    Rode the trail down on monday as well, fun fun.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Helimech GREAT riddng with you on Saturday bro! Sorry for the green horn,still wasn't to bad! Went to Bartlets Wash and hucked the Mushroom drop on that little 6" travel bike twice. To say the least the new 55 ata fork is DONE hen did Hazerd down on Monday Mindy, Jason and myself just the pinners 3 hours with a couple stops to huck a few things! MUCH better at speed keep in touch I will proly make down your way to ride in Feb. I'll give you a call for sure my friend!

mtbr member
    Ya Homie great riding with ya too, we were smokin down porc in the end. That little BBRRRRAAAAPPPPP noise is the SSHHIITT. You know you got a place to stay and a bro to show ya the goods in AZ. Your nuts on the mushroom drop on that bike. Later.
    SHITBIRD

Members who have read this thread: 7