Thunder Mtn conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Thunder Mtn conditions

What say from any recent ride. FS said that there might be spots of snow, no mention of mud or doing any damage to the trail. Snow is forecast for Friday, I am thinking on riding this Thurs but I am listening for conditions feedback.

I'd rather be biking...
    I wouldn't worry about doing damage. The guided horse tours go out rain/shine/mud/blizzard/monsoon.

15 horses damage>single bike damage.

I was up that direction the other day and ddint ride but there was spots of snow like FS said so be advised. Also good way to check is the camera above red canyon to get a feel.

https://commuterlink.utah.gov/1_devi...SR-12mile7.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Anyone been on the trail in the past week? I know the season is supposed to be over, but given the warm weather this week/weekend I'm wondering if its still rideable. I'm in the Hurricane area now and am thinking of driving up to try and tick ThunderMtn its rideable.

I don't mind cool weather or a bit of mud or snow if its still largely rideable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Rode it on 11/17. Never hiked a bike more than during this ride and that was also going downhill. Recent snow was melting activating the clay dirt underneath. Rain fell here in Hurricane on 11/21. Cedar mtns above town got a snow dusting. Trail will only be good if completely dried out. USFS office in Panguitch doesn't get what freeze thaw mud is which will be your problem. I would consider your ride to be not satisfying. Maybe check the camera link from previous post, if snow: no go.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Everything in St George is perfect right now, come on down!!!

Thunder Mountain trails has very large portions in the trees/shade and lots of the trail faces north (no sun at all this time of year...) in addition to that it freezes nightly and for the short time during the day when it might thaw, it's mud. Why people insist on tryin to force late season rides in sketchy conditions just doesn;t make sense to me.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Nuts View Post
    Rode it on 11/17. Never hiked a bike more than during this ride and that was also going downhill. .
    Why didn't you just turn around at the first big mud spot a short distance into the ride rather than continue on? If it's muddy early in the ride at T-Mtn, it's going to be big time muddy for nearly the entire second half of the ride.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    STT, you're right about the weather and trail conditions. I've been riding the Hurricane area the past several days. Hitting Little Creek and the JEM/Gould/Rim triangle tomorrow. I'll hit a big loop on Stucki/Bearclaw/Zen on Monday before I leave.

I was asking about Thunder Mountain on the off chance it was in good condition. Just being opportunistic, not trying to "force" anything. After hearing JP Nuts trip report, I quickly passed on any Thunder plans.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What are the typical months that this trail is good for riding? I know that it varies from year to year. I will be in the area at the end of april.....too soon?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bcall8 View Post
    What are the typical months that this trail is good for riding? I know that it varies from year to year. I will be in the area at the end of april.....too soon?
    The trail is above 7000 feet and that is high alpine. The usual season is June - mid to late October but its been known to be good in May.

Just keep checking.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have been there a lot in April. This year it will be ready earlier than the last couple. By june this year the horses will have beat it to death.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by grande y veloz View Post
    I have been there a lot in April. This year it will be ready earlier than the last couple. By june this year the horses will have beat it to death.
    We must ride different Thunder Mountains......

The trail was awesome pretty much the whole season last year, thanks in no small part to all the work that was done on it by a small group of folks. Horses didn't beat it up too much and rains were scarce latter in the season. IIC we hit it about 12 times, maybe 15.

They just got a good 8 inches of snow up there. Last year was a early moisture year... this season will most likely be a later year based on historical La Nina weather patterns, but no one really knows now do they?

At any rate riding Thunder Mountan when its wet/muddy sucks and kills the trail. Best bet is ask a local up there what it's like and decide based on that data. Unfortunately this makes it hard to plan ahead. So if you want to be almost 100% guaranteed May-Sept are your best bets. April is a big dice roll as can be early may as well.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts