Thunder Mountain or Cassidy trail ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Thunder Mountain or Cassidy trail ?

Hi,

I'm going to be driving from St George to Grand Junction on 3rd May

I was thinking about riding thunder mountain for my 3rd time - But are any of the other trails in the same area better rides ? - any ones thoughts would be much appreciated..

If the other trails are not that great is there any other way than riding up the bike path, or up the thunder mountain trail to get to the top of Thunder mountain ?

Cheers

Zinger-UK
    My out of date MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

mtbr member
    Do a search for Cassidy. There's a couple of threads on this forum that describe various loop options of different lengths via Losee or Casto. Then, onto Cassidy and down to the hwy, cross and you're two-thirds of the way up the paved bike path.

Up Cassidy, down Casto, across on the road, up Losee, back south on Cassidy,take the Rich trail options, then up the path and down Thunder Mountain.

You'll be hard pressed to find a better ~40 mile loop.

I'd rather be biking...
    I have more fun riding up cassidey/rich trail as an out and back. Ride up cassidey then hop on to Rich then fork off to the ledge trail for a short loop. then back to Rich up to Cassidey then turn around and head back. Ive rode Casto and losee and didn't like them. They have been in bad shape whenever ive touched them. The Rich family takes horse tours on the losee trail daily from Rubys Inn over in Bryce Canyon and It turn to plooms of dust pretty soon. So Unless you Like riding in 2-3 inches of silt.....well yeah. Thats just my experience so others may not agree. just my two cents.

Still Though Riding up The bike path off of highway 12 to the top and heading over to Thunder Mountain still is My fav. Since you've rode it three times Maybe try cassidey/Rich/Losee trails for something new.

Also There is a hidden trail that doesn't get to much use. Single track for the most part. Its a lot of short ups and downs and most likely you will be the only person on it. Trail was cut a few year back and I guess never really caught on. Except for the occasinal hiker. Don't know what shape its in this year but for the most part it's singletrack. It's called the Grand View trail. .066 You can get to it from the Bottom of Thunder Mountain. Just head up from the parking lot and about 1.5 miles in there is a fork with a sign That shows the trail. Its right before you Turn left to head up towards the last set of switchbacks. It takes you all the way into Hatch and from there you can Turn around or head back on the highway. Not sure If you feel like exploring but hey, Just letting you know. If you want more info I can let you know.

I just posted some pics from rich/cassidey trail over in the Passion forum.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post5613200

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Up Cassidy, down Casto, across on the road, up Losee, back south on Cassidy,take the Rich trail options, then up the path and down Thunder Mountain.

You'll be hard pressed to find a better ~40 mile loop.
    That is indeed the full meal deal but something more manageable for mere mortals would be a Casto-Cassidy-Bike Path-Thunder Mtn loop. About 30 miles with a little more than 3000' elev gain in 4 to 6 hours with stops.

Cassidy is more primitive and strenuous than Thunder and has more of an out there feel. Casto, even though it is an atv trail, is quite scenic. I agree with the Shelbster in that Losee can be a mixed bag. I've only gone down it and it's been big chainring fast and flowy and other times beat up by the horses. Cassidy in either direction is great.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Ionmuse's option gets it all done but will kick butt!

A shorter variation is to go up Casto and do the whole of Cassidy and an even easier one is to go up Losee and do the second section of Cassidy back to Red Canyon - then the bike path up from there.

Cassidy is a sweet trail but very steep up and down - the Losee option is still plenty of riding when you are not used to the altitude but gives you a look at some nice scenery on the way and Cassidy is fun - gutbustin climbs and fast flowy descents. The Casto/Losee trail surfaces are quite deep dirt in places from horses but are surprisingly easy to ride if you have big tyres that will float on top - just wind up steadily and enjoy the views.
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

Members who have read this thread: 0