Thunder Mountain Area Riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Thunder Mountain Area Riding

What time in the Spring does the Thunder Mountain Trail open up generally and what time in the fall does it get snow up top?
    I'm planning a trip to SW Utah and would like to ride the trails in the Red Canyon area, I'm going to be riding around Hurricane as well so I want to pick a time of year where I could potentially do both. How is Thunder Mountain as an in and out as compared to a loop via the bike path?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm coming from Colorado.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I rode Thunder Mt on 5/11 this year and it was completely free of snow, and it was a heavy snow year. I would guess it's normally dry by early May. I would think October would be a good time to ride the Red Canyon area and Hurricane. I have never ridden Thunder Mt as an out and back, but there are a couple of sections of steep switchbacks that would probably be difficult to ride back up. If you feel like you need more riding there, you can ride the Cassidy trail across the street, it's a little more difficult than Thunder Mountain, and is a good trail if it's not too torn up by the horses.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the info, that's good to know.
    I had ridden in the Hurricane area a few years ago at the end of October and as I made my way toward Thunder Mtn. it started to snow pretty good so I wasn't able to ride there. It was a wet autumn that year.

mtbr member
    i've ridden Thunder Mtn in November and it was great. However, at 8,000' its' going to snow if an early winter storm arrives. October is usually a beautiful month for weather in the sw. April would be pushing it unless it was a dry winter. Even in a big winter Thunder and Cassidy are open by mid-may in my experience.

Members who have read this thread: 0