Thunder Mountain area conditions this Turkey Day Weekend?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thunder Mountain area conditions this Turkey Day Weekend?

I'm loosely planning a South Utah bike trip beginning Black Friday and on with my wife. My local contacts are out of state at the moment and could not get reliable info from the ranger office in Panguit(sp).

Temperatures and forecast looks good but I'm just not sure if the area has had snow or if the Coyote Hollow road to the trailhead is passable, etc? Any local info on conditions would be much appreciated.

Backup plan would be around Hurricane or St George.

Thanks in advance.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Just east of the turnoff to the trailhead are hotels. Probably find them on Google Maps. Call them and ask what is on the ground and nearby hills. Coyote Hollow isn't much higher then they are. However, after riding out of the trailhead a few miles you need to climb a bit to 8,300'. This area is exposed to the sun all day and should be clear if the hotels are. You may have to walk the bikes through a few inches.

We've done the ride in the spring just after melt and it can be muddy in places at the top and worse, hoof prints are deep. Horse people don't seem to care if their horse hooves screw the trail for everyone else. Big surprise.

There are no local services for MTB unless they just started. I've talked to Harold's Place about providing shuttle service but no interest.

You don't indicate if you've rode T-Mountain before so a little advice: The ride up the Red Canyon paved trail from the lower trailhead is scenic and easy. When you get up on top there will be a road to the right with a toilet and small parking area. 2 more flat miles to Coyote Hollow and the end of the road. Can't get lost. I hope. 7 miles of world class flow trail through hoodoos to the lower trailhead. I've never seen another MTB on it.

Damn I miss those switchbacks and fin ridges!

Hurricane / St. George isn't a bad choice for backups!! We rode the Zen trail off Dixie Drive this year while waiting for Rampage to restart after the flood. Really technical and fun at the top!

We prefer to hang out in Springdale but had to stay in St. George during Rampage. The Coronado Inn has cheap suites and walk 3 or 4 blocks to George's Place to hang out. Nothing else to do in St. George but the bike shop on Bluff Drive, I think called Red Rock, is one of the best I've ever seen.

mtbr member
    Thanks jmpreston. I have ridden T-Mtn once. Our buddy dropped us off so we didn't need to climb from the bottom along the road (or now alongside a paved path). I can't recall if the climb to the top would be bad or mellow, along the Hwy 12 and through the coyote hollow dirt road turn off. Just looking out for my wife who has asthma. I haven't ridden Cassidy to Losee but looking at topography, looks like this route would put us in or bottom of canyons and may be holding more snow to make it fun.

I frequent Hurricane/Virgin but I'm just beginning to explore more of the other trails outside of the usual staple. This year, I want to try out the Little Purgatory loop (how's the climb up Babylon?) and Rhythm and Blues. If my wife is too tired from T-Mtn, I may just do a recovery ride with her on Jem.

Lastly, I just spoke on the phone with a ranger in Panguit District Office who frequents the Red Canyon area and looks like we are a go for this weekend. Some snow here and there but nothing significant or over a couple of inches at the most.

Now, if anyone stumbles upon this thread and have ridden the T-Mtn/Losee areas, I would appreciate and be grateful to get an actual trail conditions report.

-Orven

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Have a great time!! I'm jealous :-)

I took my wife up the paved path when she was first getting into MTB and she had no complaints. Steady climb but not steep, at least by SF Bay Area standards of climbing. It is about 5 miles up to the turnoff.

The dust on that dirt road can get really deep. Hopefully wet and frozen now.

Don't know Cassidy and Losee.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Trail conditions were great a month ago. But it's surely snowed since then.
    What I'd probably do next time is park at the top, then hitch from the bottom to the top (possibly stashing the bike and getting the car); fallback is to ride up; the bottom was a popular photo spot for drivers when I was there (and I saw several other MTB parties, though only one on trail). The climb isn't that hard, but not that interesting... actually if I had time, I'd do that except ride the loop twice.

the entire 'road' part of the ride:
    Strava Segment | Thunder Mountain - Parking lot to trail head

most of the actual climb on the bike path:
    Strava Segment | campground to lot

you can filter those by date, there's 3 people who rode it last week who you could try and ask...
    i guess no one has made a segment of just the bike path for this, i'm sure not gonna bother.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

mtbr member

Got lucky and squeezed one more ride in before the snow pack.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Drier trail than I expected. Ahhh, those switchbacks with a little snow for extra spice!