Thunder Mountain area camping- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thunder Mountain area camping

Hey guys was making a trip down south and was wondering if anyone could recomend good car camping sites or quiet areas where we can camp legally and fee free. Any help is appreciated tremendously thanks!

mtbr member
    There's a primitive campground on the road to the Thunder Mtn trailhead and there's tons of dispersed camping in the area. Lots of nice spots along Cabin Hollow Rd.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    A cool place is Tropic Reservoir. Look on a map. It's six miles off the main road on a nicely groomed dirt road. If you look up online the

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/dixie/recrea...kingcreek.html
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

gone ridin'...
    I know this is an old post, but I wanted to say that Red Canyon campground is.the best one out there. The sites are clean, the restrooms are clean, it has showers, and you can jump on the paved trail to ride to Coyote Hollow and the TM trailhead. When you finish the nice final one mile downhill, youre pretty much right back at camp. Awesome place with tent sites and RV sites with hookups.

gone ridin'...
    Oh..the primitive camping near Coyote Hollow is geared towards equestrians. It smells and the flies are bad. Wouldnt recommend that over Red Canyon. No showers either. Its nice to shower off after a day out on Thunder...

mtbr member
    Red Canyon campground is nice as far as campgrounds go but you have to listen to the trucks all night long. You're only 100 yds from the hwy. Tropic is nice and a little further off the beaten track.

gone ridin'...
    perhaps, but I didn't notice that once while I was there...maybe it was because I was dog-tired every night from hiking and riding...lol

mtbr member
    Is Thunder Mountain ridable year round or does it get hit with snow?
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It gets snow and brutal cold temps.

mtbr member
    The snowpack is 10" at the nearby snotel site at 8900'. TM is most likely done for the season until April/May. The lower elevations might be rideable but anything sticky is the type of mud that nightmares are made of.

Members who have read this thread: 2