Thunder Mountain- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

Thunder Mountain

My wife hasn't ridden much this year so her conditioning is not quite up to par and my father wants to come down here and ride in several weeks. I know there is some climing at tower mountain if we shuttle to the top, but does anyone know how much?

mtbr member
    Don't shuttle the dirt road-use it as a warm up to the trailhead. The trail then contours in and out of 3 or 5 drainages with fast downhills into and short climbs out of each. Then, 1 longer climb with probably some pushbiking to get to the top. The rest is pretty much downhill. I don't have the exact specs but I'll bet the total climbing is less than a 1000'. With a shuttle and only a stop or two the ride takes an hour for a reasonably fit rider.

mtbr member
    The climbing isn't bad on Thunder Mt. Mostly it is short climbs with short downhills; lots of ups and downs and gear shifting. I agree that the paved bike trail along with the mellow dirt road leading to the trailhead are great for warming up, and scenic (if done as the loop). If it's too much for them, they can just walk because the hills are short in distance.

Aug 2004

snowbasin

snowbasin is fun

mtbr member
    Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd revive this one...

I'm heading up to Brian Head for several days next week and thought I'd jump over to Thunder Mountain early one morning. But I've heard very mixed reviews of this trail. From Utah Mountain Biking.com glowing review where it receives the "Editor's Pick Classic!" (you think they might have meant "Editors Classic Pick", but even that doesn't make much sense) to my good friend and fellow rider saying it was "WAY over rated and boring at best." Anybody want to chime in? Is it worth leaving what’s available in Brian Head?

mtbr member
    Well your fellow rider is either joking or he is on crack.

If your after epic I'd climb Casto Canyon, turn right on Cassidy trail and take it to the hwy, up the paved pathway that parallels the road to the Thunder mtn trailhead and finish with the boring 7 miles of Thunder mtn. Maybe 25+ miles. That should keep you busy a good part of the day and perhaps you won't miss the downhiller-skidded and eroded trails of Brian Head (just joking but the trails certainly are not as buff as a few years ago).

Maybe its not the fast twisty singletrack through an aspen forest but how can you go wrong with Bryce-like vistas, hoodos, bristlecone pines, and moonscape topography. That said, stay away if its raining when it becomes goo-land. My 2-cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    "If your after epic I'd climb Casto Canyon, turn right on Cassidy trail and take it to the hwy, up the paved pathway that parallels the road to the Thunder mtn trailhead and finish with the boring 7 miles of Thunder mtn. Maybe 25+ miles."
    Which section would you recommend if I didn't do all 25 miles? Casto, Cassidy or Thunder?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Which section would you recommend if I didn't do all 25 miles? Casto, Cassidy or Thunder?
    Thats a tough one. Would you shuttle or ride the paved path for the 1500' climb to the top of Thunder mtn? If your riding it as a loop then I'd just do Thunder. If you have two days, do Casto, Cassidy, and down the hwy or Losee canyon on the other day. Cassidy trail is pretty strenuous but Casto is a pretty easy climb. Thunder is moderate. Either one is a must at some point. Thunder mtn is maching made so its a bit wider than Cassidy which is primo narrow singletrack. There is more sustained downhill on Thunder after the initial in/out of the drainages. You won't see anyone on Cassidy except maybe near the hwy. Atv's in Casto on the weekend. Horses in Losee canyon by late morning.

The turnoff to Cassidy from Casto can be tricky to find. I can give you an exact mileage if you want it. Also, the last mile or so of Casto is on singletrack and is not an atv trail.

have at it

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thats a tough one. Would you shuttle or ride the paved path for the 1500' climb to the top of Thunder mtn? If your riding it as a loop then I'd just do Thunder. If you have two days, do Casto, Cassidy, and down the hwy or Losee canyon on the other day. Cassidy trail is pretty strenuous but Casto is a pretty easy climb. Thunder is moderate. Either one is a must at some point. Thunder mtn is maching made so its a bit wider than Cassidy which is primo narrow singletrack. There is more sustained downhill on Thunder after the initial in/out of the drainages. You won't see anyone on Cassidy except maybe near the hwy. Atv's in Casto on the weekend. Horses in Losee canyon by late morning.

The turnoff to Cassidy from Casto can be tricky to find. I can give you an exact mileage if you want it. Also, the last mile or so of Casto is on singletrack and is not an atv trail.

have at it
    Thunder Mountain is definitely worth the drive from Brian Head. For starters, you don't have to pay for a shuttle to ride it. I rode the loop version 2 weeks ago on vacation from SoCal and loved it. Easy climb on the bike path and gradual dirt road followed by almost 8 miles of singletrack which does have some short climbs and descents in and out of ravines with 4 miles of great downhill to the west trailhead. The 25 mile epic up Casto and down Cassidy sounds great. I wish I would have thought of doing that 2 weeks ago but now I can do that on my next trip which won't be soon enough. That buddy of yours must have been on some mind altering substance to say Thunder Mtn. is boring. It is indeed a classic trail full of great views and challenging but ridable terrain.

mtbr member
    Well your fellow rider is either joking or he is on crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog
    That buddy of yours must have been on some mind altering substance to say Thunder Mtn. is boring.
    Well, I had a chance to talk to him since posting and he's not joking so he'd better lay off the narcotics. Regardless, I figure I'd better for see for myself and have put the trail on my Must-Do list for the weekend. I'll let you all know what I think when I get back.

mtbr member
    Well, I had a chance to talk to him since posting and he's not joking so he'd better lay off the narcotics. Regardless, I figure I'd better for see for myself and have put the trail on my Must-Do list for the weekend. I'll let you all know what I think when I get back.
    I'd like a list of the trails your buddy does approve of so I know where to ride the next time I'm in sw ootah.

shaved yeti
    Gooseberry, Little Creek, Barrel Rolls/Bear Claw Poppy, Church Rocks...

Feb 2004
    Oh great, my bike is being sent to a crack house.

shaved yeti

... and if we just ... thunder mountain, whoop-dee don't do it like I did it!

Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    We make more than crack here. C-Meth anyone????

Some caveats to why I don't like thunder mountain...

My expectation of what the ride was and what it was in actuality were two different things. This is a sure psychological drag. And at the end I didn't get what I came to get. If you came into my store, and something like that happened, you'd never go back, right?

I was riding a 40lb freeride hardtail, because some punk bike shop in cedar said it was "downhill" with mild climbing at the beginning.

I wasn't in great shape, which I didn't suppose I needed with so much downhill. Though I wasn't taxed to the limits either...

And now... my humble and often disputed opinion on the trail:

No one can dispute the views are great, but the ride is all wrong. Here's why:

The warmup ride on the bike path to the trail head is well over 40 minutes long (my buddies took about 45 minutes and it took me 50ish minutes). It's all up hill on a path never drops below 3 or 4% grade. My question is this: shouldn't a "must do" with an climb this long be off road?

Once you get to the real trail, you'd think you're ready for a nice steady downhill, because what goes up must come down, right? Like the moon-like dreamscape that is thundermountain, you go up and it's only a possibility that you'll come back down. The first half is negotiating ridge to wash, ridge to wash over and over again. So it is basically 10 minutes of climbing followed by 1 minute of downhill. It is scenic, but becomes so redundant that after the 4th wash crossing I stopped and had to check to make sure I hadn't turned around while I was sleeping my way through this section.

At the first vista, the view is abso-smurfily beautiful. The trail dodges left and down. This is the first real downhill longer than a minute, and it was around 4ish. I stayed at the top and waited for the boys to get close to the bottom. Personally, I preferred the Tara Llanes line that went straight down the mountain over the log. I did that one instead. That one was my fault. I was a irresponsible citizen. The boredom was too much and I couldn't resist going off the trail. Hey, that was real fun, but I cut 4 minutes of downhill in to 25 seconds... whoopsi daisy.

Moderate climbing, followed by short downhills (and pedaling is a must if you have sticky tires). More climbing. And again... short downhill. More uphill....

The following section is THE downhill... which is mostly switchbacks. If you are trail-friendly, some of it is off camber so you have to ride fairly slow if you don't want to rip it up. Don't worry folks, I didn't tear up the trail. Lots of decending over about a quarter mile. This is where you lose the majority of the elevation you gained the first 1/2 of the ride.

The next section is the real climb to the summit. More just straight forward pedaling. That vista is great as well. BTW, at this point there is a scree field to the right that looks plain tempting and straight fun. Do not do it! It takes you to the wrong side of the ridge and at the bottom is a 25 foot cliff that has a horrible tranny. That part absolutely drained me climbing back up to the top the grade is around 20% and a couple of hundred yards long. I was justified by riding off trail on the scree because a guy dropped his camera lens cap and I didn't want him littering. My buddy has a pic of this one, I'll see if I can get it. It took over an hour to climb out. I don't remember fellas. Was this section before or after the switchbacks? All I know is that there was some climbing in there....

The rest is less up and more downhill. Again, downhill means not uphill, so you gotta pedal. And the fastest and flowey section is just before you get back to the car and it is about 10 minutes long. Very very nice.

Did I make it sound like there was more climbing than downhill? Good, because that's what you'll spend most of your time doing.

So what's the moral of the story?

Don't ride a 40 lb hardtail!

Take a Cyclocross or an XC bike. This is not a downhill trail. Expect to climb and pedal the whole ride. This downhill ride is as XC as it gets. You don't need a full suspension to do this trail. You don't need fat tires, you don't need a riserbar, or mountain bike parts to do this trail. If I do this trail again I'll be on a cyclocross bike. Just make sure you bring a good set of lungs and a heart rate monitor.

For all you trying to relate, it's like riding downieville and doing the ride on a 9 inch travel bike. You just don't need to pack the weight around for stuff that isn't there.

Thunder Mountain and Coke, wow that'd be a combo! Maybe you guys could grab me a bit of .... nah nevermind. I'm in too good of a mood to put people down today....

I really didn't like thunder mountain. That's all there is to it. I did enjoy casto canyon, and I would say it is more of a "must do" than thunder mountain. Sure, if thunder was based on artistic merit and views, it is a great ride. But then again the paved Zion Canyon Pa'Rus trail is more downhill and more majestically beautiful than the vistas of Thunder Mountain, but I don't see that on anybody's list of favorite rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    Oh man I'll never live this one down...

I'd better start off by explaining that I accidently outed Bonkey as the Thunder Mountain hater by posting while he was logged-in. OOPS! It was bad enough that he had to acknowledge that he associates with me, but to be publicly outed as the one who hates a "classic" ripped the scab right off the wound. I guess it was all the acid we dropped in the back room that clouded my judgement, and I didn't realize I was logged in under his ID. Sorry man...

But I will defend his judgement, atleast when he's not all cranked up, as sound when it comes to trails, wrenching, riding, and the whole biking gig. What it boils down to is "to each his own." So don't start flaming the dude or I'll have to take matters into my own hands.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkey
    We make more than crack here. C-Meth anyone????

Some caveats to why I don't like thunder mountain...

My expectation of what the ride was and what it was in actuality were two different things. This is a sure psychological drag. And at the end I didn't get what I came to get. If you came into my store, and something like that happened, you'd never go back, right?

I was riding a 40lb freeride hardtail, because some punk bike shop in cedar said it was "downhill" with mild climbing at the beginning.

I wasn't in great shape, which I didn't suppose I needed with so much downhill. Though I wasn't taxed to the limits either...

And now... my humble and often disputed opinion on the trail:

No one can dispute the views are great, but the ride is all wrong. Here's why:

The warmup ride on the bike path to the trail head is well over 40 minutes long (my buddies took about 45 minutes and it took me 50ish minutes). It's all up hill on a path never drops below 3 or 4% grade. My question is this: shouldn't a "must do" with an climb this long be off road?

Once you get to the real trail, you'd think you're ready for a nice steady downhill, because what goes up must come down, right? Like the moon-like dreamscape that is thundermountain, you go up and it's only a possibility that you'll come back down. The first half is negotiating ridge to wash, ridge to wash over and over again. So it is basically 10 minutes of climbing followed by 1 minute of downhill. It is scenic, but becomes so redundant that after the 4th wash crossing I stopped and had to check to make sure I hadn't turned around while I was sleeping my way through this section.

At the first vista, the view is abso-smurfily beautiful. The trail dodges left and down. This is the first real downhill longer than a minute, and it was around 4ish. I stayed at the top and waited for the boys to get close to the bottom. Personally, I preferred the Tara Llanes line that went straight down the mountain over the log. I did that one instead. That one was my fault. I was a irresponsible citizen. The boredom was too much and I couldn't resist going off the trail. Hey, that was real fun, but I cut 4 minutes of downhill in to 25 seconds... whoopsi daisy.

Moderate climbing, followed by short downhills (and pedaling is a must if you have sticky tires). More climbing. And again... short downhill. More uphill....

The following section is THE downhill... which is mostly switchbacks. If you are trail-friendly, some of it is off camber so you have to ride fairly slow if you don't want to rip it up. Don't worry folks, I didn't tear up the trail. Lots of decending over about a quarter mile. This is where you lose the majority of the elevation you gained the first 1/2 of the ride.

The next section is the real climb to the summit. More just straight forward pedaling. That vista is great as well. BTW, at this point there is a scree field to the right that looks plain tempting and straight fun. Do not do it! It takes you to the wrong side of the ridge and at the bottom is a 25 foot cliff that has a horrible tranny. That part absolutely drained me climbing back up to the top the grade is around 20% and a couple of hundred yards long. I was justified by riding off trail on the scree because a guy dropped his camera lens cap and I didn't want him littering. My buddy has a pic of this one, I'll see if I can get it. It took over an hour to climb out. I don't remember fellas. Was this section before or after the switchbacks? All I know is that there was some climbing in there....

The rest is less up and more downhill. Again, downhill means not uphill, so you gotta pedal. And the fastest and flowey section is just before you get back to the car and it is about 10 minutes long. Very very nice.

Did I make it sound like there was more climbing than downhill? Good, because that's what you'll spend most of your time doing.

So what's the moral of the story?

Don't ride a 40 lb hardtail!

Take a Cyclocross or an XC bike. This is not a downhill trail. Expect to climb and pedal the whole ride. This downhill ride is as XC as it gets. You don't need a full suspension to do this trail. You don't need fat tires, you don't need a riserbar, or mountain bike parts to do this trail. If I do this trail again I'll be on a cyclocross bike. Just make sure you bring a good set of lungs and a heart rate monitor.

For all you trying to relate, it's like riding downieville and doing the ride on a 9 inch travel bike. You just don't need to pack the weight around for stuff that isn't there.

Thunder Mountain and Coke, wow that'd be a combo! Maybe you guys could grab me a bit of .... nah nevermind. I'm in too good of a mood to put people down today....

I really didn't like thunder mountain. That's all there is to it. I did enjoy casto canyon, and I would say it is more of a "must do" than thunder mountain. Sure, if thunder was based on artistic merit and views, it is a great ride. But then again the paved Zion Canyon Pa'Rus trail is more downhill and more majestically beautiful than the vistas of Thunder Mountain, but I don't see that on anybody's list of favorite rides.
    I'm glad you admit to being not in great shape and taking a 40 lb bike on this trail. You probably should have done your own research on this trail rather than trusting the shop advice. Anybody who describes this trail as a downhill is mistaken. The paved trail and dirt road climb is very easy. I did it in about 40 min. averaging 9.2 mph over 7 miles on a Rocky Mtn. Element and I'm a 46 yr old 215 lb Clydesdale. I usually average 6 to 7 mph even on paved climbs so I really appreciate this easy climb to such a great trail. True, the first 4 miles of the actual singletrack is up and down through some ravines but it is a challenge to keep your speed up through the turns and power up the other side. The climbs are somewhat steep and I did walk a few but after all, the sport is called MOUNTAIN biking. The trail tops out near the White Point vista after which you get about 4 miles of continuous downhill including some very tight and rocky switchbacks. I would guess the whole loop is about 55% climb and 45% downhill which is about as good a ratio as a loop ride gets. It's not the most technical trail. There are no massive dropoffs or log jumps but it is still a great trail. Perhaps if you were in better shape, had an accurate description of the trail and the right bike for it you would have enjoyed it more. Hopefully, you can return and try it again but if too many riders ride off trail as you did the FS will close it to bikes which would be a shame. Don't blame the trail if you're not fit enough to ride it and have the wrong bike and the wrong impression of what to expect.

mtbr member
    No need for flaming of Mr. Bonkey although the riding off trail bit is lame. Hike down to retrieve your buddies lens cap for [email protected]%^s sake. I'm also surprised you would pedal a 40 pound bike uphill. Good on ya for that.

Don't ride Cassidy trail cause your not going to like that one either. Its more strenous than Thunder Mtn. The only FR/DH trails in southwest Utah that I can think of would be Brian Head.

Although the paved path is definitely an improvement over climbing the road it does detract from the soul of the ride. Even so, from a xc perspective its still on my must-do list. And if you tack on a Casto climb and traverse back to the road on Cassidy you only end up having to climb 1/3 of the paved path.

mtbr member
    Wait, I forgot the J.E.M. trail. Easy climb less than 1000' with 6 miles of fast twisty, sustained big chainring singletrack downhill.

shaved yeti

don't forget

Wait, I forgot the J.E.M. trail. Easy climb less than 1000' with 6 miles of fast twisty, sustained big chainring singletrack downhill.
    Don't forget Grafton Mesa and Flying Monkey... both in the proximity of JEM, and both shuttled downhills.

mtbr member
    I've done Grafton Mesa but have never heard of Flying Monkey. Where's that?

mtbr member
    Wait, I forgot the J.E.M. trail.
    In my mind to make JEM worth a 1.5+ drive from Brian Head you've got to ride it as a loop along with Hurricane Rim and Gould's Rim, and even then I can think of other trails I'd rather tackle including Gooseberry Mesa, Little Creek, and the Rockville Bench.

Anyway the agenda for the weekend is Bunker Creek, Thunder Mountain, Navajo Lake Loop and if we end up having the time Dark Hollow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    In my mind to make JEM worth a 1.5+ drive from Brian Head you've got to ride it as a loop along with Hurricane Rim and Gould's Rim, and even then I can think of other trails I'd rather tackle including Gooseberry Mesa, Little Creek, and the Rockville Bench.

Anyway the agenda for the weekend is Bunker Creek, Thunder Mountain, Navajo Lake Loop and if we end up having the time Dark Hollow.
    That Gould's/JEM/Hurricane Rim loop is a good one. I rode it last spring break including a spur along the river to the upper JEM trailhead. The short climbs on Hurricane Rim were killers at the end so I'd like to reverse directions whenever I can go back. Have you ever done that loop the other direction (clockwise)? If so, is there a dirt road going back to hwy 59 as an alternative to pedalling up JEM from the north? You're right about Gooseberry. I did that one the day before and it is much better and the one to do if you only have a day to ride.

I was back in the area in mid-August on the family vacation but it was 106 each day so I took the wife, daughter and dogs up to Navajo Lake found them a nice spot near the store to have a picnic and play in the lake while I rode the southern part of the loop trail to Cascade Falls and came back on the Virgin River Rim Trail to TeAh campground. It was a great day for all.

May I say that you Utah guys are very blessed to live in a state so full of great trails. I've been to Moab several times and Park City, Brian Head, Red Cyn and the St. George area and have never been disappointed. Maybe I'll get to move there soon; the CA lottery is $85 million tomorrow night!

shaved yeti

move to st. george!

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog
    May I say that you Utah guys are very blessed to live in a state so full of great trails. I've been to Moab several times and Park City, Brian Head, Red Cyn and the St. George area and have never been disappointed. Maybe I'll get to move there soon; the CA lottery is $85 million tomorrow night!
    Forget the lotto. If you own a home, you can be just like the rest of the Californicators and sell your house for crazy amounts of money and just retire to St. George.

As for being blessed, we truly are. We put in plenty of hours into maintaining trails. Be sure to call us next time you come to town.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Can't retire yet. Got a kid to get through college. What do you pay teachers with 15-20 yrs experience? We've checked other places and my wife and I would lose about $20,000 a year if we moved now but St.George is certainly tempting! Especially since we discovered Chuck-A-Rama buffet. We loved that place! I'll let you know next time I'm out there.