Three more days in Park City looking for suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Three more days in Park City looking for suggestions

Hi,

Looking for suggestions in or around Park City.

So far we have done the following on our trip (landing and departing from Vegas).

1st day: Brian Head - Bunker Creek Left fork and then once down The Descender at the resort.
    2nd day: up Armstrong, Mid-Mountain then down Ambush.
    3rd day: Stealth, Flying Dog, Glenwild
    4th day: Park City IMBA Epic so we've done some trails a second time but the descent is really fun
    5th day: rest

We are looking to rides on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

We have yet to try anything in the PCMR area and Deer Valley.
    What would be some good combo?

Also, do we need to have a lift ticket for Deer Valley?

Is the Coyote Canyon loop worth it?

Thanks,
    Sylvain

Your Best Friend
    Head south to American Fork Canyon. About an hour away from you. The trails are better than Park City's. Less traffic (although dirt bikes are allowed) and it's more amazing in every way.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Head south to American Fork Canyon. About an hour away from you. The trails are better than Park City's. Less traffic (although dirt bikes are allowed) and it's more amazing in every way.
    Any particular route that stands out among the trails?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sylvain View Post
    Hi,

Looking for suggestions in or around Park City.

We are looking to rides on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

We have yet to try anything in the PCMR area and Deer Valley.

Also, do we need to have a lift ticket for Deer Valley?
    Lift ticket for DV - not required as there are uphill routes, but you do not want to go up any of the downhill trails. If you want to do lot of decending since you've already had some good climbing days, getting a lift ticket is the way to go.

If you like downhill/flow, Payroll is fun but requires a bit of a climb to get to if you're not shuttling.

Other ideas: from PCMR base, go up Jenni's to mid, then either John's 99 or mid towards Deer Valley and pick from any number of trails. Or up Jenni's, up Tommy's Two Step, down Mojave, left on Mid, and right on CMG is a fun loop. Starting from Snow Park base in DV, go up Finn's to Deer Crest, take Deer Crest up to Four Point, this puts you at Silver Lake and the start of Mid Mountain. Take this to any number of trails in the northside/empire area. One more route - moosehouse to grave digger to 4:20 to John's to Sweeny's.

Stop by any shop in town and get the Mountain Trails map for $5, its worth it and has all the trails I mentioned.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Any particular route that stands out among the trails?
    Start at the Timpanooke trail head. From there to Pine Hollow up. Left on Ridge 157. Stay left on Mud Springs. Across Tibble to Mill Canyon. Go up to Ridge 157 and head back south. At the four way, go left down South Fork Little Deer Creek. Back up the summit parking lot. Back on 157, link to Pine Hollow and retrace your route back to your car.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Start at the Timpanooke trail head. From there to Pine Hollow up. Left on Ridge 157. Stay left on Mud Springs. Across Tibble to Mill Canyon. Go up to Ridge 157 and head back south. At the four way, go left down South Fork Little Deer Creek. Back up the summit parking lot. Back on 157, link to Pine Hollow and retrace your route back to your car.
    That's a fun loop. I did somehthing very similar to this a few years back on someone's suggestion and really enjoyed. Is it better than Park City? Not necessarily, but it is different, and like SF said, much less traffic.

If you haven't done the Wasatch Crest yet in PC, that's the obvious next ride. Lots of ways to do that, but here's my favorite (so far) as posted in another thread down the page aways:

From PCMR ride up Spiro or Armstrong to the Midmountain Trail then up Pinecone to the Wasatch Crest. North on the Crest to Midmountain Connector then descend down into Canyons Resort via Insurgent and Holly's.

Take a break, get a drink at Canyons then climb bake up to MM via Rosebud Heaven and Ambush. Across MM back to PCMR descend via any number of trails (crescent mine grade, John's, Spiro, etc)
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    If you haven't done the Wasatch Crest yet in PC, that's the obvious next ride.
    Up Armstrong to the crest is the Park City IMBA Epic they did on the 4th day, https://www.imba.com/epics/park-city-epic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miller542 View Post
    Up Armstrong to the crest is the Park City IMBA Epic they did on the 4th day, https://www.imba.com/epics/park-city-epic

Oh, right. Looks like that is the same ride for the most part..... except it looks like the IMBA epic has you return on the road rather than climbing back up and coming back across Midmountain.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    On Saturday I did a nice ride. Take Shuttle from Olympus Cove to top of Guardsman (I'm in SLC), up Puke Hill, down Pinecone, North on Mid Mountain, then back up Crest Connector to the top of Mill Creek, then down Mill Creek to the car.

That grind up Crest Connector took a lot out of me, being I was pretty worn out from MM. I'm still fat and out of shape!

I prefer this to the Crest Trail, which is so beat up from Desolation Lake to the 3 way (Mill Creek/Canyon/Crest).

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you are looking for something slightly more techy, I'd ride UP Sweeny's (rocky) to Johns (lots of fun root moves, my favorite PC trail) over to Steps (moderately steep and sun exposed) then to the new trail above the Yurt (name?) then Keystone to Shadow Lake. From the lake you could either head up to Scotts pass and do puke hill to Pinecone/MM/Spiro or just drop Comstock mine road to Powerline and then Spiro to parking lot.

Frame Building Moderator
    East Canyon -> Pony Express/MP -> GWT -> Avenues/Moose Hollow

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    If you are looking for something slightly more techy, I'd ride UP Sweeny's (rocky) to Johns (lots of fun root moves, my favorite PC trail) over to Steps (moderately steep and sun exposed) then to the new trail above the Yurt (name?) then Keystone to Shadow Lake. From the lake you could either head up to Scotts pass and do puke hill to Pinecone/MM/Spiro or just drop Comstock mine road to Powerline and then Spiro to parking lot.
    One of my favorite climbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions. Last evening we went to Storm Cycles and got some information as well.

So today we did: we departed from PC and pedaled to DV -> Finn's -> Deer Crest -> Four Point -> Mid Mountain -> Team Big Bear -> Flagstaff Loop -> Bowhunter -> Flagstaff Loop -> Boulder -> Moosebones -> T&G -> T&G2 -> Speedbag -> Gravedigger -> Sweeney's switchbacks -> House

That was a fairly good ride although nothing very technical. Still I was fairly exhausted after the ride. It seems that it is taking me more time to get adjusted to the elevation than on my other trips.

The Sweeney's switchbacks were probably the most technical trails of the ride. That said I don't think I would do 26 miles of only technical trails. What I realize is that most black trails are black not because they are very technical but because they are more cardio and go up and up and up! Gravedigger is a good example.

The plan tomorrow is: House -> CMG -> Apex Ridge -> Dead Tree -> Scott's Bypass -> Puke Hill -> Pinecone -> Mid Mountain -> ....? -> House

We saw a female moose and her young on Speedbag or Gravedigger. Very cool.

Sylvain

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just a heads up, the lower part of Dead Tree (above upper Apex) is very steep and is a hike a bike for most. Most of the time, at the top of Apex, I take the road around to the left and head up Pioneer Ridge. It's still a steep loose climb, (double track) but a little more doable. As you climb the road there will be a faint single track peeling off to the right that will reconnect you to Dead Tree. The rest of the route is a blast. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Just a heads up, the lower part of Dead Tree (above upper Apex) is very steep and is a hike a bike for most. Most of the time, at the top of Apex, I take the road around to the left and head up Pioneer Ridge. It's still a steep loose climb, (double track) but a little more doable. As you climb the road there will be a faint single track peeling off to the right that will reconnect you to Dead Tree. The rest of the route is a blast. Have fun!
    Thanks for the advice. We did just that. Apex is a great trail. We changed our plan after Scott's Bypass. Instead of climbing up to reach Pinecone, which we had done on the way up, we decided to keep going down on new trails for us. Unfortunately most were doubletracks but at least Spiro down, without any trafic, is really fast and fun.

Tomorrow we are going to try the new downhill trail at Snowbird.