Thinking of moving to SLC- Mtbr.com

Dec 2006

Thinking of moving to SLC

My family and I are currently in Tucson, AZ and are real tired of the constant heat. For example, today the 25th of September: 95 degrees. Down five from yesterday.
    We have it pretty good here aside from that. I just get up before the sun to ride in the summer. (It is weird to finish a four hour ride and be all pooped but its only 9 am.)
    About us:I am a teacher and my wife is a recent law grad, awaiting AZ bar results. We will both have to undertake some hellacious form of recertification I'm sure.

On two separate trips I have ridden up there and I have loved it.
    I'd love to live somewhat near bobsled: I was thinking Sugarhouse.
    Then there's the winter fun... I'll spare us all the rant on Utah snow.

I guess my question is, are there any educators or similar that can lend a hand in figuring out what are the good schools (high schools) to approach for employment, and from the ground level, what is out-of-state certification like? I don't feel that we will be losing out on much by relocating there now, but I want to do it with a job lined out, maybe jobs for both, and possibly a place (initially a rental will do). So, any help to be given would be great.

Thanks,
    Adam

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    I miss you - move your sexy ass to slc already!

mtbr member
    Ditto. Quit playing with our hearts, son. Git on out here, git shredding, and git on it now!

mtbr member
    Here is a pay related link….

http://www.teacher-world.com/teacher-salary/utah.html

I am a big fan of Murray, just because they have their own school district.

As far as both of you getting licensed here…. This would be the first step I would guess.

http://www.dopl.utah.gov/

Anyway….my $.02

Dec 2006
    Thanks for the links EJ. I will look into those sites.
    What are the neighborhoods like near Murray High?
    (I like to commute as much as possible by bike. But I'd rather live in a nice 'hood like Sugar house.) (Also, I relate to gentiles better.)

On another note, any takes on the Mormon presence? What do people think?

mtbr member
    There are some amazing neighborhoods in the Murray area and close to Murray High. I am VERY fond of Forrest Creek, Erickson Dairy and the little neighborhood that splits them….but I cannot remember the name. Coordinates for all 3 are just northwest of 5900 S. 900 E. Murray, Utah 84107. You can zillow that and kind of look at the area. There are also some other very nice areas throughout Murray. It seems to be a desirable place due to being somewhat self sufficient.

Like I said, their own school district….add to that power company, water, police force…..maybe even fire department. They also now have one of the best trauma hospitals in the Intermountain West.

Let me mention right here that Mormons are not bad people; they are just people.....that is their faith. They tend to be VERY conservative, which I am not.....but being that we have differing stances on many views, that doesn't mean that we cannot find common ground.... So “the presence” is not so much a knock against someone’s religion, but of how far someone leans left or right.….. Though everywhere in Utah there seems to be “the presence,” it seems Salt Lake County…minus maybe Sandy, actually appears to be developing a bit more of a liberal spin….. Salt Lake County has a democrat as its Mayor.... Cannot remember the last time Salt Lake City had anything but a democrat running their city. Further you get outside of Salt Lake....the higher "the presence" will be.

I don’t know, I have lived here all my life, so I am not sure that I have a firm grasp on what it would be like for an outsider…..everything just seems “how it is” to me. But in the end, I don’t feel an effect from it, nor would I leave for any reason voluntary. It is an AMAZING place for someone who loves the outdoors.

When I re-read….don’t take “how it is” as a negative… I am generally not bothered by any of that.

Oh….and finally…. Though I have lived in Murray, Sugarhouse and back to Murray….. Regardless of where you end up…..you probably can bike commute either way…. We are talking about a few miles separating the areas. I currently bike commute 2-3 times a week to downtown Salt Lake…..

Anyway……..i seem to be rambling....

Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by E.J.
    Let me mention right here that Mormons are not bad people; they are just people.....that is their faith.
    Agreed, I don't want to knock a people's faith, but the conservativism might be tough to deal with. I moved from Anchorage to Tucson, so I know what its like to be in the minority politically, but I kinda like a liberal town. That being said I really like your mayor and when talking to folks last summer, they said the more radical the mayor, the better the public has liked them oddly enough.

I'll do the zillow action suggested, I appreciate the advice greatly.
    Adam

Bored Carp
    If you want a guaranteed liberal neighborhood, look north of the 80. Sugarhouse, 9th & 9th, the Avenues.

For schools, you could also look at schools like Rowan Hall (private) and Park City...
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Members who have read this thread: 0