Thanksgiving Week, Moab.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thanksgiving Week, Moab.

I will be up there for the entire week. I was wondering if there is any club rides or group rides planned. I would consider myself an intermediate rider. I have an older RIP9. I wouldn't call myself a climbing stud and the little added elevation might bring down a few rungs but I don't mind some work for some reward. I also don't mind paying for a shuttle or chipping in for gas with a local. While I usually just explore and ride alone I think that my limited time will be better spent riding with a guide of sorts.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Desert Seeker
    I can probably get out for a ride with you. Shoot me a PM if you'd like.

pedlr
    We'll be riding that week, pm me when your here, I'll let you know when we ride.

mtbr member
    I will send you both my number. Thanks!

mtbr member
    During my down time I have been readin about trails in the area. It seems like there is quite a wide variety of techy stuff.

Since I received a picture of my bro's truck covered in a thick dusting of snow a few days ago it go me thinking about what will actually be accessible right now.

I would imagine that the Enchilada is closed for the winter. So that's out.

Ride 1. I was also looking at doing some stuff in the Amasa Back area. I don't consider myself a super techy guy but I don't mind some 2 foot drops here or there. Anything more than about 30" and I start to really over think the approach and the run out. I'm thinking about taking Hymasa/Amasa Back/Pothole Arch/Rockstacker/Amasa/Capt Ahab. Does this seem reasonable in 3-4 hours? Should I switch anything around?

Ride 2. Recovery style ride. Fun and flowy with minimal aerobic climbs. So I'm thinking about the Klondike Bluffs. There seems to be LOADS of trails up there. Anyone have a route or loop they prefer? Any trails I should totally avoid or absolutely not miss?

Ride 3. Mag7. Wishful thinking but I might get lucky enough to catch a third ride. It's hard with small kids and family to spend time with too.Questions are. Are there any sections that might be holding onto snow and ice that I need to be aware of? Like the Blue Dot or Portal or any other areas where some frozen water might make it easier to take a long drop to the 191? Would it be better if I skipped the top half and just hit the Gold Rim to Portal stuff?

Any other rides I should be considering? I wanna have a bit of a plan so I can still go out and get some seat time if I can't join anyone for a spin.

Desert Seeker
    Ride 1 sounds solid - that's a great way to group those trails. In the Klondike area, I like to park at the bottom of Mega Steps. Agate/Jasper/Jurassic/Dino Flow/Up Little Salty/Baby Steps/Mega Steps/Alaska (maybe down Nome) back to go. Some climbing in there. I'm not sure about Mag 7 status. Everything is probably good to go if we don't get a storm. Gold Bar to Portal is super tech and not the best idea to be up there on your own - it is kind of remote. Sending PM as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glesoine View Post
    Ride 1 sounds solid - that's a great way to group those trails. In the Klondike area, I like to park at the bottom of Mega Steps. Agate/Jasper/Jurassic/Dino Flow/Up Little Salty/Baby Steps/Mega Steps/Alaska (maybe down Nome) back to go. Some climbing in there. I'm not sure about Mag 7 status. Everything is probably good to go if we don't get a storm. Gold Bar to Portal is super tech and not the best idea to be up there on your own - it is kind of remote. Sending PM as well.
    I agree with glesoine's recommendations. I did that exact ride at Amasa last month and really enjoyed it. You'll find a few things on Rockstacker that might cause you to pause (or walk) if you're not a really solid tech rider, but most is very doable. Ahab looks techier than it is, but all the places that look like they might be sketchy are built to run out nicely and are very intermediate friendly.

Don't know if the shuttles are running but Mag 7 would also be a great option (if it's not snowy), especially the top half back down to the Gemini Bridges road then out to the highway. Gold Bar Rim ST is newly remarked and legalized and is a great trail but it does have some tech (well used to have... not sure how much dumbing down Trail Mix has done) and some rather strenuous riding/climbing, and does end with the plunge off Portal which I love but isn't everyone's cup of tea. And like glesoine said, best not done alone.

For the R & R day, you might also consider the Brand Trails. Lots of fun flowy, not too climby, beginner/intermediate trails out there. I've also been hearing some good things about the new Navajo Rocks trail just off the 313 as you start to climb to Canyonlands/Dead Horse Point.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    FWIW, I finally went back to Moab this year after a 15 yr hiatus. In May I went with a beginner and did Klonzo and Dead Horse. This time I did Amasa Back, Slickrock, and Klondike.

I had done Klondike 15yrs ago, it was "OK". Now it is fantastic! It's my favorite area to ride in Moab (non-shuttle). They have stuff for everyone there.

I was not impressed with Klonzo, to me it had no "character".

Dead Horse is also incredible, best 1st ride for a MTBer.

Amasa Back is also fantastic, 15yrs ago it was a tough climb with no other options, now there is a ton of great stuff there.

I really like what they've done over there!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post

I was not impressed with Klonzo, to me it had no "character".
    That was my impression as well, except "no character compared to most of the areas of Moab". Put it in my backyard and I would love it!

mtbr member
    Spend a day at the Dead Horse area, there is about 20 mi of trails there now with mixed riding. Also when I'm with my girlfriend we ride Klondike: Dinoflow-Baby Steps-Little Salty-Dinoflow. Just remember that it could be muddy at the upper elevations. The Bar M stuff is good for bad weather too. We'll be there Friday -Sunday so I'll check back with this thread while there.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Klonzo has no character? I think it has some of the funnest, fastest singletrack in Moab. Easy climbs to flowy descents with some hits thrown in. If you don't have a blast riding laps on Redhot or Rollercoaster then I feel sorry for you. But I think Mag 7 is one huge yawn fest so maybe I'm on a whole nother channel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    yeah, no character. But that's just my opinion, everyone has one. I just didn't "get it".

I haven't done "Mag7" since the late 90s, we use to ride from 191 all the way up, then back. That climb out on the road back to 191 sucked. I'm sure the trails there are 10X better now, it was just the 4x4 road back then.

mtbr member
    I read an article in the paper about Klonzo South and North. Might check it out. Maybe even take my 3yo for the kids loop. Some other trail called Gravitron was mentioned too.

mtbr member
    Klonzo? Mag 7? Gee, I like them both. What's wrong with me?
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......