Thank you Hurricane- Mtbr.com
    member: kv dirt daddies

Thank you Hurricane

Spent a long weekend in Hurricane recently. Did Gooseberry, Grafton, Guacamole, JEM, and Quail Ridge. What a great set of trails. I tried to capture these trails on video.
    Part 1, Goose and Grafton

Part 2, Guacamole and Quail Ridge

mtbr member
    Nice. I enjoyed watching those. Reminds me of why I love Hurricane.
    Last edited by KRob; 05-11-2015 at 10:17 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Formerly of Kent
    JEM isn't the most technical, but it feels like a magic carpet ride. Just hauling ass, rolling up and down, twisting and turning. I love it. Guac, well, I love popping in and out of the little bowls there. Like riding a natural skate park.

Thanks for sharing.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Awesome videos and very timely as I'm taking a group of Southern Utah virgins out that way in two weeks. We'll hit all those other than Guac but will add Zen and JEM.

mtbr member
    Great Vids Thanks for sharing. Myself and 2 of my buddies will be there in a couple weeks from the 15-18. Plan to do Gooseberry but from seeing Grafton, looks like we have to do that one too. I'm even more pumped now for our first "out of town" ride.

mtbr member
    Great videos. I've watched them a few times. Definitely brings back the stoke.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Awesome vids. A buddy and I spent a weekend two weeks ago camped out on Gooseberry. Great trails. We also ran into St. George for a run at Zen.

mtbr member
    Great vids! Headed there on Monday from Alaska. Mud season here, so it'll be nice to ride the dry and grippy.
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

mtbr member
    Sweet vids Jeff, thanks for putting those together! Here are some pics from the trip:

Thanks to Dell as well for setting that trip up! We had been going to Sedona a lot the last few years but it has turned into a bit of a circus, now that all the trails have been adopted and signed they are overrun with hikers. So it was nice to get back to Hurricane where there were pretty much no hikers on any of the trails. Plus they are constantly building new trail...and it is fun/techy new trail.

First day we did Hurricane Cliffs system. There are a bunch of new trails since my last visit so we explored some of those.

A few of us did a quick lap while waiting for everyone else to show up. Top of JEM was up first. The upper part is now downhill only

A little ways down JEM we turned R onto Goosebumps. Pretty fun trail, lots of undulation and G-outs with a few alternate lines. It sort of hugs the bottom of the cliffs below Gooseberry.

At the bottom we got a little lost as the trails aren't all marked and there are a few alternate social endings. We found the bottom of Dead Ringer and climbed that all the way back to the trailhead.

Dead ringer is pretty cool. It hugs the side of some steep canyons. Little room to pass if you meet other riders. The bike shop recommended this trail for climbing only.

By the time we got up top most of the group was there and Dell's vehicle was just a few mins out. Not long after that we were back off down the trail for another loop.

Started with top of JEM again, and then crossed over to descend Dead Ringer. That trail has some smallish jumps on it, and climbing it meant we were going the wrong way on our first lap. None of them were really that fun, mostly a bit awkward.

We rode DR and Cryptobionic all the way down to Hurricane Rim and took that trail back over to JEM. From there it was JEM - Crypto - Goosebumps- DR back to the top.

Most of the group had done More Cowbell while waiting for others to show up. Gil, Rob and I did a quick lap on it at the end. Its a ~2mi trail with maybe 100ft total gain/loss, but has some awesome views. Looking down over Goosebumps:

Trail follows the edge of a mesa for a while

A few were done for the day, others wanted a bit more. A few descended Dead Ringer down the the next road crossing. Gil and I decided to ride Goulds Rim back into town instead. I had never ridden it that way before and it would be mostly downhill. It is definitely more fun riding it back toward town!

Great views

We checked out a new connector trail near the bottom that would cut off the final bit of the ride on Hwy back into town.

We found a super primitive trail along the top of the cliffs, heading south. It was actually hard to follow

Then, it finally ended. We searched around for a bit trying to figure where it went. When we looked over the edge we spotted freshly built switchbacks down below, and a line of pin flags going up the hillside. So, the trail is so new it is not even done yet! Should be a good one when it is done, it will mean riding singletrack right from town!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just got back from Gooseberry. Rode pretty much every trail on the Mesa. We finally found Secret Trail, which we've seen on the maps but couldn't locate, I think Secret Trail is my new favorite, even over Hidden Canyon.
    We also rode Guacamole, which is awesome and I rode the JEM network of trails for the first time.
    We stayed in the yurts at the end of the road. I highly recommend them, as they were pretty much on the trails, they were also clean, comfortable and very affordable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    We finally found Secret Trail, which we've seen on the maps but couldn't locate, I think Secret Trail is my new favorite, even over Hidden Canyon.
    I rode it once and didn't care for it. There were no technical features and there were a lot of sand pits. This was 3-4 years ago, so maybe the trail has improved?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    We finally found Secret Trail, which we've seen on the maps but couldn't locate, I think Secret Trail is my new favorite, even over Hidden Canyon.
    I have always liked it too. You will never see anyone on it. It isn't as flowy as the rest of Goose but it is more difficult in a technical/chunky way and has a more out-there feel. I took a few people on it this trip and was not very popular for it. It is not a great trail to ride at the end when it is hot out and everyone is tired. The sand was way worse than I have ever seen it as well, and there were some trees down that were a pain to get around. For those who care, it is also not a legal trail and won't be, likely as it crosses some private land.

Sorry Rodney I would say it hasn't improved. How was the rest of your trip?

mtbr member
    Pics from Day 2, Gooseberry Mesa:

For me Gooseberry is the main must-do ride in the area. I like it a lot better than Little Creek.

We started at South rim TH. I have actually never started from there before, there is a massive new TH and parking area. We got right into the meat of the system

Being a few years since I've been to Goose, some of the lines were forgotten. Some, like this one, always stand out

After S Rim we headed up Hidden Canyon

Lots of time was spent playing around

Then over to the point

Some are braver than others

Next it was back on South Rim along the south side of the mesa

The group split soon after. Some had already gone back from the point. Some continued on Hidden Canyon and some continued onto a secret trail

I have always liked this one as it is tougher and much less ridden than everything else. Lots of deep sand this year made it more work and less fun than usual.

Our group got really spread out, and Jfsh and I ended up waiting a few mins for Danno and the other Evan to catch up. The rest of our group who were ahead, didn't wait.

Ending of Secret Tr

Everyone was pretty much done so we took the fire road back to the TH to waiting beers!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I spent over a week there at the end of March and rode most of the trails from Virgin to St. George area. I had a couple more to ride when a multi-day sandstorm rolled in and I went home. This area is becoming an alternative to Moab, although I still prefer the town of Moab over any of the towns in SW UT.

Camping and RV parks with showers is sparse in the area. Zion River RV Park is expensive and the tent sites are not much bigger than two cars wide. Shade is a problem at KOA and elsewhere. Moab has a vastly better lodging and dining selection. St. George and Springdale are decent towns to stay in with some dining choices that are better than DQ. Coronada Inn in St. George has one bedroom apartment size rooms so plenty of room for gear and bikes.

I love South Rim / Hidden Canyon but I'm still hiking the bike more places than I should. I need to get it dialed in with more rides.

I have a little more video shooting to do there and I'll release one of my "Trail Analysis for Intermediates" series videos on YouTube for the area. They seem to be popular for Moab.

mtbr member
    I liked the secret trail pretty well. I think the north side was better, more interesting, less sand.

Wasn't completely alone however:

Thank you Hurricane-img_5318-1024x768-.jpg
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    If dining were a prime consideration on trips I'd just stay in San diego! I go wherever the riding is great, camp wherever I can and bring my own food if need be. There is plenty of camping near Hurricane if you know where to look. Seems harder to find dispersed camping near Moab because it is so much more busy. Agreed there are better and more campgrounds there though. On our trip Dell booked a sweet house rental on VRBO that was close to the bike shop, so no complaints with that.

mtbr member
    For Day 3 people were looking for some "easier" miles so we started with Grafton. Jay offered to run the shuttle for us as he didn't feel like riding, so it was 2 trips up in Jeff's truck to get everyone to the top.

Within minutes of rolling we were in sessioning mode. No pressure!

Gnarly run out

Jeff pioneered a lower line which seemed smoother and more direct

Mike takes the original upper line, required a quick turn at the bottom

Nice view to the right, but don't take your eyes off the trail for long

Andy dropping in at the larger roll

Rob takes it with a bit of speed

The other evan on a nice air

One of the most recognizable features on grafton

This used to be a nice, mandatory huck. Hard to see but there is now a ramp built right to the top. Boo!

Bryan hits the double roll

Not a bad view

Gil rolls the top of Grafton descent

Jeff followed me down

One of my favorite sections of trail anywhere...

Andy near the bottom of the rocky section

The background landscape is almost mesmerizing

Aaron rides out the bottom rocks

Final descent

Final air

OK...one more

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I find the rattlers on The Goose to be damn stubborn! Only option is to go around. They won't retreat. Adds to the thrill of riding there.

:-)

mtbr member
    Still on Day 3....

The group split up after Grafton. I think some went to hike in Zion, some were done for the day. Jeff piled in with Gil and Rob and me and we headed over to Guacamole. This is one of the most fun trail systems in the area. It is somewhat of a lollipop, with a main route out, and then a few alternate loops you can do toward the south end of the mesa. They seem to be building new stuff each year so it is always worth going back.

Lots of petrified wood. A lot of the trail cairns are made from this stuff. Some nice big pieces seem to lie all over the place.

Typical view off the side of the mesa as we ride out

Then it is onto slickrock

It is more of an open canvas than Gooseberry and you have to watch for cairns at times

The area burned ~10 years ago and is still coming back

Tons of optional lines, as hard as you want. Not always as easy as you might want, though

But its fun as you get to use your imagination

We check out a loop that is new since my last trip

This one is the best loop out there by far IMO

Tons of good rollers, techy bits and variety, and gets all the way out to the east and south ends of the mesa

We eventually start running out of light and need to head back

But a few more features to play on, on the ride back

We get going at a nice pace but have to stop to check this guy out, trailside. First time I've seen a rattler in UT. Nice colors!

Definitely put Guac on your ride list if you have the time during a trip.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the great ride report! Yep, Guac is an excellent ride and very scenic. I was there at the end of March. No rattlers. I was so busy with the trail and BS'ing with other riders that I didn't notice the petrified wood :-) It was the weekend of the Hurricane MTB Festival and the trail was busy.

mtbr member
    Last day! We had a few options. One of the main ones was to check out the new system over at Quail Creek reservoir. I talked everyone into checking out R&B trail first, it is a couple mile long trail squeezed onto a tiny patch of land next to Hwy 9. Unfortunately a few riders were done after that short trail. A few others rode over to check out Quail Creek overlook (the new system) while the rest of us checked out Quail Creek trail that takes off from R&B trailhead.

R&B is a really short but cool trail system that undulates and switchbacks constantly below a higher ridgeline.

It takes about 30-45mins for a lap. They've added a second trail in the middle of the original loop now for a second option.

We headed onto Quail Cr trail next, which goes from the same trailhead a couple miles up the reservoir

Most did it as an out an back rather than ride back on pavement

Pretty fun trail, there are a few steep climbs otherwise it flows pretty well

Dell & co went over to Quail Cr overlook system while we did this. Gil and I went over after. Rob opted out, and we busted Dell & Aaron sneaking in a shuttle back to the TH. Someone needs to flag their strava run!

Quail Creek overlook was fun, tough and scenic

It is comprised of a long ridgeline with four fins. There is a loop up and around each fin.

The first and fourth loops are the toughest

Switchbacks "down" the first one. There seemed to be a lot of pedalling for a downhill

Lots of views of the reservoir

The description of the 4th loop read long techy climb to shorter steeper descent. We HAB'd up the shorter climb which turned out to have some fun, legit technical sections.

Looks inconsequential, but it had a nice double roll

Another one near the top

Doing it again I would probably ride up the long techy climb. There was a fair amount of climbing out the way we went so it wouldn't be a hard climb up, good value IMO and the shorter descent seemed better optimized than the way we went down.

The way back, you can see the final two fins

Fun system, good for a couple hours at R&B and at Quail Creek overlook.

It has been a while since I rode Zen Trail or Barrel Roll but I would say Quail Creek overlook is very similar to those both in difficulty and in ride length. Views are pretty good at all of them too as they all follow a high line along a ridge. It is great there are more and more options in the area. I am hoping they will keep building more trail. The map by R&B showed another trail higher up on the bluff above Quail Creek trail that would turn that into a loop rather than out and back. Hopefully they will build a trail all the way around the reservoir, as that would make for an excellent loop ride.

Another fun trip in the books. Thanks for setting it up Dell! I will not let as much time pass before going back to Hurricane. For me right now Hurricane has risen back above Sedona as a better ride destination.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I rode Quail Creek in March in a "hurricane". On those ridge tops I was blown off the trail several times and had to walk much of exposed areas. The wind was from the north so the same problem there.

A loop on the north end shows on some maps but the lower trail doesn't exist yet, or at least didn't at the end of March. I ended up carrying my bike XC even though my GPS put me on the trail. That is where you drop down from the second ridge to the north of the spillway or side dam, whatever that is, and drop onto a dirt road. Some maps show a trail that starts to the right down that road. It ain't there but should be.

I stayed a week in the area and rode most of the trails except R&B and Little Creek Mesa after the wind died down. However, one morning I awoke in Hurricane and the wind was howling again and would be for several days so I drove back to San Jose.

The trouble with the SW desert in the spring is the frequent high winds. You take your chances then. Summer is 115F, a bit less on the high mesas. The fall is generally better weather but last September at Rampage we had a tropical storm come through and flash floods everywhere. However, Rampage was only delayed a day.

After Rampage we drove over to Moab for Outerbike and caught the end of same storm there.

Great riding on the wet sand! No dust!

mtbr member
    Yeah weather can be hit or miss. This is the latest in the spring I've been. Temps were a little warm but not bad, which made evenings pleasant. I've been in March as well, and in Oct/Nov. Most of those trips we have had great conditions. Some wind, sometimes cold, only got stuck with muddy conditions on the Gooseberry road a one trip. Thanksgiving can be freaking cold camping on the mesa!

I really need to go back one of these times and do some backcountry hiking in Zion.

Surprised you didn't see the petrified wood on Guac, the stuff is everywhere. Some of the trail cairns are built with it as well!

mtbr member
    Great write-up as usual evdog!! I've been to the area 10 times and still haven't ridden over at Grafton Mesa. I've yet to see a snake in Utah and luckily have never experienced the 'Hurricane' winds. I've had rain, even snow on Gooseberry once but never the wind I always hear about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Lots of fun riding in the Hurricane area.
    I hope the intermediate north rim trail on Gooseberry has been moved away from the cliff edge. That's some very serious, very sudden exposure. When I rode it last it was no place for kids or new riders. I'm not ashamed to say that I shied away from it.
    Last edited by Mike Nagle; 09-21-2015 at 07:42 AM.
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I love hearing stories of people riding this stuff for the first time.

How sad is it that I don't even stop to take pictures anymore. I wish I could do a mind wash and start riding all over again.

b a n n e d
    A buddy and I are heading to Hurricane/Gooseberry on the 16th - 18th to ride. Would love a tour guide if anyone's willing!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

b a n n e d
    Anyone? How about at least a couple trail recs (and maybe a map! haha)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Anyone? How about at least a couple trail recs (and maybe a map! haha)
    Use MTB Project for trail intel. It has lots of great info.

Definitely ride Guacamole Trail and the bonus loop at the far end. A great mix of tech and flow.

Hidden Canyon and South Rim Trail on Gooseberry Mesa are must-dos as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    What are the trail conditions in late December early January? My wife and I have reserved a yurt and I was wondering if we should bring the bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    Use MTB Project for trail intel. It has lots of great info.

Definitely ride Guacamole Trail and the bonus loop at the far end. A great mix of tech and flow.

Hidden Canyon and South Rim Trail on Gooseberry Mesa are must-dos as well.
    MTB Project and Trailforks have most of the trails but you won't get better advice than going to Over the Edge. They have maps. What Socal-Rider mentioned are my two favorite rides, JEM system and Little Creek are the others people usually want to hit. And there are at least a dozen other trails/systems if you need to fill time.

Dec/Jan definitely bring the bike. The trails at Gooseberry are usually fine right after a rain as they are mostly rock it is the road in that is the problem. Keep an eye on the weather. Again, the bike shop can give you the best advice on what is rideable.

Chris Bling
    Seriously nice vids and write up. I will be down there over Thanksgiving if anyone wants to hook up and do something similar.

KRob, you down?
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

b a n n e d
    Well, we went over the weekend and had an absolute blast. We first hit Gooseberry on the day of arrival and made it all along the North Rim to the lookout, but the threat of major storms chased us back along the road to get out ASAP (we didn't want to chance getting stuck up there).

The second day we started at the North JEM trailhead and rode Hurricane Rim to Gould's Rim and then back along Dead Ringer and Cryptobionic. All told about 30 miles. We got caught in a bit of a rain shower for a few minutes that made some serious mud, but it cleared up and dried up pretty quickly.

All in all, we got but a mere glimpse of what Hurricane has to offer and will definitely be back.

Formerly of Kent
    Hoping to spend two weeks between Hurricane/Virgin/ZNP and Arizona this winter.

Can't wait!
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Well, we went over the weekend and had an absolute blast. We first hit Gooseberry on the day of arrival and made it all along the North Rim to the lookout, but the threat of major storms chased us back along the road to get out ASAP (we didn't want to chance getting stuck up there).

The second day we started at the North JEM trailhead and rode Hurricane Rim to Gould's Rim and then back along Dead Ringer and Cryptobionic. All told about 30 miles. We got caught in a bit of a rain shower for a few minutes that made some serious mud, but it cleared up and dried up pretty quickly.

All in all, we got but a mere glimpse of what Hurricane has to offer and will definitely be back.
    Just saw your post about going the 16-18 today or would have piped in with some advice. There are actually great trails to stick to when you know rain is coming...they are the new Boy Scout trails and Church Rocks/Prospector. The JEM Trail area is one you absolutely should avoid on rainy days.

I absolutely enjoy every trail I've ridden out there. Definitely go back to Gooseberry and get over to the stuff you missed. Guacamole is known as "Little Gooseberry" and has some cool features to play around on. Like evdog mentioned, I'm one of those that really likes Little Creek because of the variety it offers...it has Gooseberry like rocks, some twisty XC stuff on dirt, sketchy stuff along the cliffs and a cairn maze to follow on the climb out. If you want techy, go out to Grafton Mesa and if you want supertechy, head out to Flying Monkey but make sure your insurance premiums are paid up.

Nest time, ride the JEM trail up from the trailhead in Virgin. Go up to JEM to Cryptyobionic and Goosebumps up to the upper trailhead and then go back down the JEM Trail from the top. You'll get a non-stop 3-5 mile haul ass run on the way back to your car. The other must do trail out that way but further down in St George is the Zen Trail, mostly an XC type ride & climb with a chunky rock crawling festival of fun back across the bottom. Great stuff!!

EMBA Member
    Thank you so very much for posting the edits and pics. It is very cool to see the stuff that I have to look forward to. Grateful. Slim
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race" H.G. Wells